Sign in to follow this  

someone HELP ME. por favor!

I need help. First off, this is the draft I liked the most out of many that I've written up. 1.) I need to condense this by 1000ish words 2.) I need to focus more on why PA I think...but Its honest and probably the most personal essay that I can come up with. ANY constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. I'm still working on making this something I will be proud to apply with...and yes I know there are grammar mistakes, but feel free to fix those too.

It was during my junior year of college that I had begun physical therapy to rehabilitate my recently discovered herniated disc in my lower back. The pain was excruciating. I remember getting out of the shower one morning, walking to my room and almost passing out from the pain it took to just move. Needles shooting down my leg, radiating from my back each time I sat, made sitting through class unbearable as well as any relaxation time outside of school work. I began to do homework standing up that semester because it was the most pain free way to get things done. I began having to sit out of events with friends because I was unable to cope with too much movement and began focusing more on my health. My Physical Therapist was doing her best to get me back into normal form and I was committed to rehabilitating myself, but it was an extensive and long few months. After months of conditioning and stretching, the pain gradually subsided with commitment from myself and my therapist. Although this was a very unpleasant time for me, I also had time for my own personal reflection. I noticed that even before my ailment, I had felt that something in me was missing. An emptiness, a void something that is difficult to explain yet provided a driving force for change.

Feeling a lack of control and vulnerability made me think about my life and the path I was setting for myself. This event triggered, my realization that my life began to feel to circular. School, vacation, work, friends and repeat. Going from point A to B to C was routine and a sense of routine normalcy left me unappreciative of my surrounding environment. The tunnel vision I had previously developed, was withholding me from the possibilities the world has to offer.

I have always been goal oriented and have enjoyed accomplishing challenging feats that I set for myself. Throughout college, becoming a Physician Assistant was the major goal. It was on the forefront of my decisions. Participating in the Baystate Education Partnership in high school which introduced me to the field of medicine was invigorating. Witnessing a cesarean section for the first time as well as observing a pediatrician sparked my interest in the field.Successfully receiving my EMT-Basic certificate put the responsibilities of quality patient care in my hands. Working as such through UMass EMS, allowed me to put my skills to use. Volunteering at Baystate Medical Center’s ER has kept me constantly moving to assist all types of patients with personal attention. Shadowing Martha, an Emergency Room PA herself, allowed me to discover what the occupation further entails and kept me moving forward. I have a passion for medicine. I have been reaching for my dream to become a PA  for quite a while. But during myperiod of dormancy, I began to realize that I needed a change of pace.

Feeling huddled within a society that was constricting my potential to veer off the path I was set on, a fear of exploring what the universe has to offer, it was my turn to shy away from the ordinary and the comforts of my life.I asked myself what I wanted from potentially traveling overseas. What could I achieve over there, that I cant here?  I thought to myself, “If there is one thing I want to take away from this experience, its to just explore.” 7 months later, I was flying to Spain and beginning a small chapter in my life. I was set to live with a host mother in Sevilla and meet a group of other college students ready to take on a new adventure as well.

These 4 months provided an invaluable learning experience for me that I could not have achieved anywhere else. Sevilla is the heartland of tradition, romance and “siesta.”  In Sevilla, not many people speak English, so learning to communicate with others everyday was a challenge but rewarding.Charades was a powerful tool I developed and I began to react to body language alot more. I gained knowledge of different household customs from my time spent with Carmen, my host mother. She treated me with compassion and a warm heart. Coming back from class she woul say “buenos dias hijo” or  “good day son”. I felt welcomed and apart of her “familia”. I tried foods that I had no idea what I was ordering, hiked in regions I’ve never heard of and met people I may never speak to again. The friends I acquired helped to craft an unforgettable experience.The lessons I learned are invaluable. I learned to take it easy at times and reflect on the present during “siesta.” Most important of all, living each day with benevolence for your neighbor and self.  I have improved myself as an individual through this experience by adapting to unfamiliar situations, becoming exposed to how people live outside of the U.S. and walking through parts of the world many will never see. Traveling to other various European countries added to the cultural experience and the personal adventure.

To sum up my experience, it was an emotional, spiritual rejuvenation. I came back to the US more confident than ever in knowing who I wanted to be and was provided wiht  a clarity of how I wanted to live life. I have used my knew knowledge in every aspect of the way I live now.

Currently, working as an EMT-Basic at American Medical Response in Springfield, I have put all of the lessons I have learned from my travel experience to the test. I have successfully helped a patient, a mute stroke victim, list of her medications through gestures and charades. I use my knowledge of the Spanish languauge countless times to understand patients chief complaints. I empathise with the many homeless patients I treat just by listening to their stories, conversing with them and providing the best patient care I can . Working with patients from every background, I meet people from all corners of the world. I believe that my open mindedness has been enhanced from my travel experience and has allowed me to strongly connect with people of different backgrounds. With the knowledge and skills I currently possess, it is my desire to dig deeper.

It is my interest to work in medicine, but it is my passion to become a Physician Assistant. I have made it another goal of mine to not only continue traveling, but to serve the underprivileged areas of the world while doing so with a PA license. The flexibility this occupation provides along with a focus on the underprivileged, will allow me to continue my journey.  If accepted, I will dedicate myself to success, for the benefit of the patients, and the benefit of the school.

Hello :D 

Yup, you need to cut about 1514 more words. 

I like your personal statement because it shows your determination to survive through hard times. But, there's always room for improvement. 

Your paragraphs are too wordy, it would be in your advantage if you condense your sentences and get to the point. Adcoms will love you because you have giving them room to breathe  :P.

For example:

Yours

I have always been goal oriented and have enjoyed accomplishing challenging feats that I set for myself. Throughout college, becoming a Physician Assistant was the major goal. It was on the forefront of my decisions. Participating in the Baystate Education Partnership in high school which introduced me to the field of medicine was invigorating. Witnessing a cesarean section for the first time as well as observing a pediatrician sparked my interest in the field.Successfully receiving my EMT-Basic certificate put the responsibilities of quality patient care in my hands. Working as such through UMass EMS, allowed me to put my skills to use. 

My Interpretation

Craving to become a PA was what strengthened my will to push through the dark days. The countless nights standing and studying, knowing that if I sat down, I would become my own victim and give up. But that was not the only motivation. Witnessing a cesarean section for the very first time brought my interest in medicine to the next level...notice that my interpretation shows that you can overcome tough times without saying "I'm goal oriented" - show don't tell I usually say :P. *I cut the rest b/c you never included how your EMT cert. helped you/put your skills to use*

You might also want to keep your personal stories between 1-2 (3 MAX). This will help you refrain from putting your personal statement into a resume format. 

Finally, why PA and not MD/NP/RT/OT...?

BTW--- what UMASS do you attend?

Thanks for your advice! I definitely need to work on condensing it down, but trying to figure out which parts is the challenge.

Also I recently graduated from UMass Amherst. I didnt put it in the narrative b/c its on my resume and application already

This is the re-edited version (under 5000 characters). I would love any critiques!

It was during my junior year of college that I had begun physical therapy to rehabilitate my recently discovered herniated disc in my lower back. The pain was excruciating. I remember getting out of the shower one morning, walking to my room and almost passing out from the pain it took to just move. Needles shooting down my leg, radiating from my back each time I sat, made sitting through class unbearable as well as any relaxation time outside of school work. I began to do homework standing up that semester because it was the most pain free way to get things done. I began having to sit out of events with friends because I was unable to cope with too much movement and began focusing more on my health. My Physical Therapist was doing her best to get me back into normal form and I was committed to rehabilitating myself, but it was an extensive and long few months. After months of conditioning and stretching, the pain gradually subsided with commitment from myself and my therapist. Although this was a very unpleasant time for me, I also had time for my own personal reflection. I noticed that even before my ailment, I had felt that something in me was missing. An emptiness, a void something that is difficult to explain yet provided a driving force for change.

Feeling a lack of control and vulnerability made me think about my life and the path I was setting for myself. This event triggered, my realization that my life began to feel to circular. School, vacation, work, friends and repeat. Going from point A to B to C was routine and a sense of routine normalcy left me unappreciative of my surrounding environment. The tunnel vision I had previously developed, was withholding me from the possibilities the world has to offer.

I have always been goal oriented and have enjoyed accomplishing challenging feats that I set for myself. Throughout college, becoming a Physician Assistant was the major goal. It was on the forefront of my decisions. Participating in the Baystate Education Partnership in high school which introduced me to the field of medicine was invigorating. Witnessing a cesarean section for the first time as well as observing a pediatrician sparked my interest in the field.Successfully receiving my EMT-Basic certificate put the responsibilities of quality patient care in my hands. Working as such through UMass EMS, allowed me to put my skills to use. Volunteering at Baystate Medical Center’s ER has kept me constantly moving to assist all types of patients with personal attention. Shadowing Martha, an Emergency Room PA herself, allowed me to discover what the occupation further entails and kept me moving forward. I have a passion for medicine. I have been reaching for my dream to become a PA  for quite a while. But during myperiod of dormancy, I began to realize that I needed a change of pace.

Feeling huddled within a society that was constricting my potential to veer off the path I was set on, a fear of exploring what the universe has to offer, it was my turn to shy away from the ordinary and the comforts of my life.I asked myself what I wanted from potentially traveling overseas. What could I achieve over there, that I cant here?  I thought to myself, “If there is one thing I want to take away from this experience, its to just explore.” 7 months later, I was flying to Spain and beginning a small chapter in my life. I was set to live with a host mother in Sevilla and meet a group of other college students ready to take on a new adventure as well.

These 4 months provided an invaluable learning experience for me that I could not have achieved anywhere else. Sevilla is the heartland of tradition, romance and “siesta.”  In Sevilla, not many people speak English, so learning to communicate with others everyday was a challenge but rewarding.Charades was a powerful tool I developed and I began to react to body language alot more. I gained knowledge of different household customs from my time spent with Carmen, my host mother. She treated me with compassion and a warm heart. Coming back from class she woul say “buenos dias hijo” or  “good day son”. I felt welcomed and apart of her “familia”. I tried foods that I had no idea what I was ordering, hiked in regions I’ve never heard of and met people I may never speak to again. The friends I acquired helped to craft an unforgettable experience.The lessons I learned are invaluable. I learned to take it easy at times and reflect on the present during “siesta.” Most important of all, living each day with benevolence for your neighbor and self.  I have improved myself as an individual through this experience by adapting to unfamiliar situations, becoming exposed to how people live outside of the U.S. and walking through parts of the world many will never see. Traveling to other various European countries added to the cultural experience and the personal adventure.

To sum up my experience, it was an emotional, spiritual rejuvenation. I came back to the US more confident than ever in knowing who I wanted to be and was provided wiht  a clarity of how I wanted to live life. I have used my knew knowledge in every aspect of the way I live now.

Currently, working as an EMT-Basic at American Medical Response in Springfield, I have put all of the lessons I have learned from my travel experience to the test. I have successfully helped a patient, a mute stroke victim, list of her medications through gestures and charades. I use my knowledge of the Spanish languauge countless times to understand patients chief complaints. I empathise with the many homeless patients I treat just by listening to their stories, conversing with them and providing the best patient care I can . Working with patients from every background, I meet people from all corners of the world. I believe that my open mindedness has been enhanced from my travel experience and has allowed me to strongly connect with people of different backgrounds. With the knowledge and skills I currently possess, it is my desire to dig deeper.

It is my interest to work in medicine, but it is my passion to become a Physician Assistant. I have made it another goal of mine to not only continue traveling, but to serve the underprivileged areas of the world while doing so with a PA license. The flexibility this occupation provides along with a focus on the underprivileged, will allow me to continue my journey.  If accepted, I will dedicate myself to success, for the benefit of the patients, and the benefit of the school.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By kdonlon12
      Hi - I am a new graduate who passed the PANCE June 5th. I am looking for jobs in the NY/NJ area and spend each day looking at the job boards. Are there any other suggestions for where to search out jobs? I am interested in many fields- excluding surgery. I just want to be able to get a job and get some experience so I can become more competitive. With COVID19 hitting this area so hard, I know why it is difficult at this time but would like any advice I can get (as well as any possible leads!).
      Thank you for your time.
    • By Chasingdreams
      All,
      Has anyone experienced being undermined as a PA? I have been a Cardiothoracic surgical PA for 2 years now. And in this new hospital I work at, PAs are not represented much. I believe most of that’s because management is not familiar with what PAs can do, how they can bill, their autonomy, etc. Due to this, their structure has always been having NPs on the floor to round on the post op patients, and RNFAs (nurse first assists) in the OR. The surgeons don’t get involved as much because they‘ve compartmentalized the two groups, and have a head NP and head RNFA who leads their counterparts. 
      But since I’ve joined, and my credentials give me the ability and knowledge to do both parts of the job, I’ve been dealing with a lot of power trips and a lot of them seem to be threatened. And I can’t seem to find a median between being respectful and being assertive. (Especially since I’m still fairly new in my career) I want to work here but I don’t want this to be the issue why I can’t enjoy my job. Thoughts? 
    • By surgblumm
      Interested in Surgery?

An introduction to the OR team

By Robert M. Blumm, MA, PA-C, DFAAPA

Whether you are a PA student scheduled to start a surgery rotation or an NP interested in moving into surgery, an understanding of the surgical team is beneficial. This article outlines the hierarchy and operation of the typical surgical suite.

The Surgeon

The surgeon is the attending physician for the surgical patient, responsible for his or her care and treatment while in the operating room (OR).1 Among the responsibilities of the surgeon are to examine the patient, order and interpret diagnostic tests, and to formulate a preliminary diagnosis and a differential diagnosis. The surgeon then consults with the patient to explain the problem and the best approach to it. He or she obtains informed consent and answers the patient’s questions prior to admission to the hospital.

Under no circumstances should your personal conversation with the patient contradict the surgical plan previously discussed with the surgeon. The surgeon will be your supervising physician and mentor during the procedure, therefore be prepared to answer questions related to this procedure. If you have a pressing question, ask at the time of closure.

The Registered Nurse

The operating room is controlled by nurses who have many responsibilities both inside and outside the OR. Nurses are responsible for sterile process in the selection of the proper instruments, packs and gowns. You will encounter many nurses in the perioperative role, and it is important to know their function and how you may best learn from them. Surgical nurses are responsible for the day-to-day safeguarding of surgical patients.

The OR Supervisor

The OR supervisor has the skills necessary to intervene in all technical problems involving his or her staff, OR instrumentation and equipment and sterile procedure. He or she is the senior nurse who books and schedules cases, assigns rooms to surgeons and acts as coordinator with every other department with regard to the preoperative holding area, the OR and the post-anesthesia care unit (PACU). The OR supervisor is also the nursing officer in charge of preoperative testing.

The Preoperative Holding Nurse

The preoperative holding nurse is responsible for the timely preparation of the surgical patient. This responsibility begins 3 days prior to surgery by telephoning the patient and communicating important information about admission. This nurse then supervises the gathering of all laboratory results and radiologic tests, patient information and consents. Upon the patient’s admission to the hospital, the preoperative holding nurse interacts with the patient, checks the chart again for completeness, and assures that all consents, notes and orders are signed by anesthesia staff and the surgeon. He or she also starts the IV and administers ordered medications. This nurse is critical to the timely flow of surgical procedures.

The Circulating Nurse

The circulator is responsible for the acquisition of all supplies, sterile equipment, machines and sets needed for surgery. The circulator then works with the scrub nurse or scrub technologist to set up the case and assure that all necessary equipment and supplies are in order. The circulator then gathers all the necessary equipment for the administration of anesthesia.

After placing the patient on the OR table, checking the patient‘s ID bracelet, verifying the patient’s surgeon and the scheduled procedure, the nurse in this role reassures the patient and may provide warming blankets. The circulator then assists the anesthesiologist in the administration of anesthesia and helps dress all “scrubbed personnel.”

The patient must be in a specific position for surgery. The circulator works with the anesthesiologist, the surgeon and the first assistant to achieve the required position and documents all safety measures. The circulator then prepares the patient’s surgical site with the appropriate preoperative washing agent and prep materials.

Prior to the start of surgery, the circulator calls a time out in which the name of the patient, his or her condition, the site of surgery and the procedure is verified with the surgeon and all in the room. As the case commences, the circulator supplies the sterile members of the team with additional sutures and supplies, oversees the sterility of all the members of the team, communicates with all departments and facilitates the acquisition of emergency equipment and additional supplies such as blood.

The circulator is the manager of the OR record and is available to help any member of the team, particularly in an emergency situation, such as the onset of cardiac arrest or malignant hyperthermia. The circulator performs an important final step: He or she orders a count of all sutures, needles, sponges, lap pads, etc., and confirms the count is correct. He or she applies dressings and assists in the extubation of the patient and the safe transfer to the PACU.2

The Scrub Nurse

The scrub nurse may be an RN or an LPN. He or she has specialty training in surgery and surgical technique and instrumentation.3 The scrub nurse gathers supplies prior to the case (along with the circulator) and plans for additional supplies that may be needed. The scrub nurse then scrubs for the case and the setup of all sterile equipment. This person is the sterile staff member and supplies the surgeon and assistants with sterile instruments, sutures and other supplies. The scrub nurse is an excellent source of information for PA students or NPs who are new to the surgical suite.

The scrub nurse has the authority to note a break in technique and to request that sterile scrubbed personnel change gloves or gowns. The scrub nurse anticipates the needs of the surgical team. At the conclusion of a procedure, the scrub nurse may assist in applying dressings and the safe moving of the patient from the table to the OR stretcher.

The PACU or Recovery Room Nurse

The PACU or recovery room nurse accepts the patient from the OR and immediately provides a secure environment for proper airway, oxygenation, suction and care. This nurse is an expert in critical care and is responsible for the safety of the patient while he or she is in this area as well as the safe movement of the patient from the PACU to any other area of the hospital. The PACU Nurse can be a source of information for postoperative orders and medications and your right hand if an emergency occurs.

The Surgical Technologist

The surgical technologist has the same responsibilities as the scrub nurse, but he or she has less responsibility in an emergency because he or she is working under nursing and has limitations on the ability to administer drugs and blood products. The surgical tech is a trained (often certified) member of the team who can provide insight into the needs of the surgeon, his or her approach, his or her mannerisms in surgery, his or her areas of intolerance, and the specific requirements of the first assistant.

The Anesthesiologist

The anesthesiologist is a physician who is an expert in pulmonary medicine and the science of providing sleep and analgesia for the patient who is undergoing surgery.4 The anesthesiologist consults with the patient prior to surgery to discuss the planned procedure and anesthetic.5 He or she determines whether the patient should have local, regional, spinal or general anesthesia. This decision is based on the patient’s medical and surgical history, family history and psychological status. The anesthesiologist maintains constant awareness of the cardiopulmonary status of the patient.

After entering the OR, the anesthesiologist checks the IV line and makes sure that all preoperative medications have been administered. He or she connects the patient to cardiac leads and assures that the patient’s cardiac and pulmonary status are being monitored prior to and during the course of anesthesia. He or she attaches a pulse oximeter and blood pressure cuff and ensures that all necessary equipment and drugs are available to perform intubation.

During the surgery, the anesthesiologist maintains an open airway, proper breathing and circulation and keeps the patient in a highly oxygenated state to administer drugs as needed.

The anesthesiologist is also responsible for positioning and evaluating both the intake and output of the patient. The second anesthesia provider is the certified registered nurse anesthetist, physician assistant anesthetist. These professionals are experts in managing a patient under anesthesia.6 They have obtained graduate-level education in this area.7,8

The First Assistant

Numerous types of “first assistants” exist in the OR, and they include surgeons, residents, interns, medical students, family physicians, PAs, NPs, certified registered nurse first assistants, registered nurse first assistants, perfusionists and certified surgical technologists–certified first assistants.

The responsibility of the first assistant is to be the assistant surgeon during a procedure. This requires knowledge of anatomy and physiology, surgical handling of tissues, surgical instrumentation and surgical procedures. In addition, the first assistant must be skilled in suture techniques, positioning, sterilization, sterile technique, prepping and draping, pre- and postoperative care, and the use of suctioning equipment, splints and casts. The first assistant must have well-honed decision-making skills that can add to the successful completion of surgical procedures.9

Physician assistants who specialize in surgery have a specialty organization, the American Association of Surgical Physician Assistants (AASPA), which provides continuing education and networking opportunities.10 The surgical PA orders tests, interprets test results and writes admitting orders, progress notes and postoperative orders. Surgical PAs determine when a patient may ambulate or be discharged, write prescriptions, perform discharge summaries and plan postoperative follow-up.11 Nurse practitioners may also function in this role.

All hospitals establish criteria for who may “first assist” and on what cases. NPs apply for credentials in the same manner as PAs and must specify a supervising surgeon. This requires the NP to have a relationship with a surgeon or surgical group. For information on advanced practice nurses transitioning to a first assist role, see the following article: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/499689.

Preventing SSIs

There is no better manner in which to conclude this overview of the OR team than to focus on prevention of surgical site infections. Surgical site infections affect 750,000 patients every year in the United States.12 These infections can increase length of stay in a hospital for up to 10 days. Increased length of stay adds $20,842 to the average patient’s hospital charges.12 These excess charges are now absorbed by the institution, not the insurance company. Appropriate implementation of the perioperative role can render these infections preventable. Visit www.AORN.org, the website for the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses, to find advice for preventing surgical site infections. Pay specific attention to recommendations for hand washing, hair removal, prepping and draping. Additional guidance is available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov/handhygiene/24.

Robert M. Blumm is a surgical physician assistant who lives in Amityville, N.Y. He has served as president of the American Association of Surgical Physician Assistants, the Association of Plastic Surgery Physician Assistants, the New York State Society of Physician Assistants and the American College of Clinicians. He is a member of the editorial advisory board for ADVANCE for NPs & PAs. Blumm has completed a disclosure form and reports no relationships related to the content of this article.

References

1. Kurzweg FT. The patient, his surgeon and the record. In: The Surgeon’s Handbook. Garden City, N.Y.: Medical Examination Publishing Company , Inc.; 1982: 3.

2. Position statement of the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses. One Perioperative Registered Nurse Circulator Dedicated to every Patient Undergoing a Surgical or Other Invasive Procedure. http://www.aorn.org/Clinical_Practice/Position_Statements/Position_Statements.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2011.

3. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Conditions of participation for hospitals: surgical services. http://www.cms.gov/manuals/downloads/som107ap_a_hospitals.pdf. Accessed Dec. 27, 2011.

4. Sweeny F. Who’s the person giving my anesthesia? In: Sweeny F. The Anesthesia Fact Book. Perseus Publications; 2003: 3-12.

5. University of Cincinnati Residents, Berry S. The Mont Reid Surgical Handbook. 4th ed. Mosby;1997.

6. Sumpter R. Anesthesia. In: Labus JB. The Physician Assistant Surgical Handbook. W.B. Saunders; 1998: 19.

7. All about anesthesia. American Association of Registered Nurse Anesthetists. http://www.aana.com/forpatients/Pages/All-About-Anesthesia.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2011.

8. Facts about AAs. American Academy of Anesthesiologist Assistants website. http://www.anesthetist.org/factsaboutaas/. Accessed Dec. 27, 2011.

9. Weis MK. The first assistant and collaborative practice. In: Rothrock JC, Seifert PC. Assisting in Surgery: Patient-Centered Care. Competency & Credentialing Institute; 2009: 387-405.

10. American Association of Surgical Physician Assistants website. www.aaspa.net. Accessed Dec. 27, 2011.

11. Blumm RM, Condit D. Surgical physician assistants help solve contemporary problems. Bull Amer Coll Surg. 2003;88(6):14-18. http://www.facs.org/fellows_info/bulletin/2003/blummcondit0603.pdf. Accessed Dec. 27, 2011.

12. Manz EA, et al. Clipping, prepping and draping for surgical procedures. Managing Infection Control. 2006;August: 84-97.

• By HMPA19
      Hi- I currently work as a Hospitalist PA at an academic medical center. Wondering what schedule other PAs have for Hospital Medicine PAs. The two most common schedules that I have discovered include:
      1) 7 on, 7 off
      2) 12 or 13 12 hour shifts/month
      Any other models? What are your PTO benefits? Thanks!
    • By Jovan
      I have a friend who is a fellow new grad PA, and she is considering a 2-year residency program in psych. She has a passion for psychiatry and could see herself making big differences there, however she is worried that she may begin to forget general medicine if she only works in psych for 2 or 3 years. Her other passion is ortho surgery (and other general surgery). She has also considered pediatrics and inpatient neonatal as other close-2nd choices.
      So, I'm wondering if anyone has had to decide between two fairly distinct specialties or switched between the two, years down the road. In particular has anyone here gone from a psych residency program to another specialty (or moonlighted / floated elsewhere)... or any other residency program to something else?
      In general, how difficult is it to find a general medicine or even surgery job after working only in psych for a while?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More