TENNESSEE: Christian Brothers University

Congrats to all of those who have been accepted! I applied and interviewed at CBU just last week and I have not heard yet whether I have been accepted or not. Does anyone know if all applicants that were interviewed have been notified one way or another? The anticipation is killing me!

Thanks!

Thanks Whitney.

I forgot to ask during my interview, does the anatomy course we take during our first semester include cadaver dissection? I've read some programs use computer models primarily. Looking at the curriculum it looks like that course will probably be our most intense during our 1st semester!

Congrats to the C/o 2017!

My name is Shruti, I am in the class of 2016 with Whitney. Like she said if you have any questions feel free to ask us! First semester will be your easier semester but don't underestimate it either. Enjoy your free time right now!! I'm sure you are anxious to start but relax before you start!

AC1UT,

So sorry for my slow response!!! And no, we don't do cadavers. I've heard many places are actually starting to move away from that because the body looks so much different in a cadaver than a living person. But your anatomy teacher does powerpoints. He does have pictures of cadavers though and may ask a test question from the picture (what muscle is this?) type thing.

All of you, thanks for the info! I agree, there is probably some advantages of a cadaver component to anatomy.

I also viewed it as a factor that separated us from the nursing model to our education. Although, our NP friends have been doing without cadaver labs for a long while and seem to be doing just fine. 

ac1ut,

I agree that NPs have been doing without a cadaver lab for, well, ever for the most part. I also think that there are many quality NPs, but NP education is nowhere near what is expected of you in PA school. The classroom hours, didactic rigors or clinical expectations will all be greater in PA school even though, in the end, the job description is often the same. A cadaver lab will just make you all the more prepared for clinicals and ultimately your career. 

I guess I tend to care more about how something works as opposed to its structure. Both are important, but I like to focus more on the physiology, which a book allows me to do just fine. But everyone is different.

You get a much better grasp how something works physiologically when you understand the intricacies of its structure. Structure serves as the prelude for physiology. I wouldn't want to build a house without a foundation... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just curious if any there are any current PA students at CBU who can tell me a little more about the break in between the didactic and clinical year? How long is the break? And, Sonya said that it may be required that you be able to come to campus, how likely is that to happen? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just curious if any there are any current PA students at CBU who can tell me a little more about the break in between the didactic and clinical year? How long is the break? And, Sonya said that it may be required that you be able to come to campus, how likely is that to happen? Thanks!

Hi.

There is a short break; maybe a long weekend or 5 days. That time is spent going to all the hospitals to do their orientation/training, get your ID, etc; also, CBU requires that you attend workshops on campus.

Hope this helps.

Jose

Archived