Should I? Advice please!

I have a cumulative GPA of 3.39 and a science GPA of 3.6. I'm not a certified medical assistant but I've been working at a dermatologist's for 1 1/2 years doing back and front office duties. Back office doesn't require much medical knowledge. Basically, I just go in with the Dr when he checks patients, assist him while doing biopsies and small procedures, place dressings on patients, and give care instructions. Very minor stuff. Is this considered enough HCE? I'm not in back most of the time either. However, I've come to find that front office work allows for more patient interaction even though it's not a medically related connection. If that makes sense. Anyway, the last volunteering I've done was one summer in '07 at a hospital serving as a Spanish language interpreter. No PA shadowing so far either (shame on me, I know). Thankfully, I have found a kind PA that will allow me to begin shadowing her this month. I know I'm not a very competitive candidate at this moment but should I at least give it a shot for 2012? Or should I forget applying for next year completely and aim for 2013 instead? What can I do differently? Your help will me much appreciated. Thanks

If you have all your prereqs in order I don't see why you can't apply this yr. There are some schools that consider what you do as hce as long as you provide in detail in your PS everything that you do. Be sure to keep track of your shadowing hrs and put your experience in your PS, don't forget LORs from your shadowing PAs. If you don't get in this yr you can reapply next yr as a more competitive candidate. Good luck!

I agree with Marilyn: definitely apply this year! Last year, I kind of felt like you do now, like I wouldn't be a very strong applicant. So this past application cycle, I applied only to my absolute favorite few schools where I knew I'd definitely attend if I was admitted. I figured that if I wasn't accepted this cycle, then I could strengthen my application and reapply the following year. (Thankfully I don't have to reapply, though!)

Many MAs that I know aren't certified, but what matters is that you do have experience working with patients. I wouldn't recommend listing out all of your duties in your personal statement -- that's valuable space that could be used to show what sets you apart rather than listing your responsibilities. Plus, if you apply through CASPA, there will be space in the forms for you to give a description of your duties.

If you can get some more volunteer experience in, that would be beneficial for your application. Bonus points if your volunteer experience counts toward your HCE as well -- two birds with one stone!

Shoot if I had your GPA i would not even hesititate to apply... Worst case scenario if you do not get in, persistance is key. I have heard many stories about people not getting in until the 2nd or 3rd time they applied. Each year they filled their resume with more classes, HCEs or volunteer hours, and schools love to see that growth.

Good luck!

• 10 months later...
I have a cumulative GPA of 3.39 and a science GPA of 3.6. I'm not a certified medical assistant but I've been working at a dermatologist's for 1 1/2 years doing back and front office duties. Back office doesn't require much medical knowledge. Basically, I just go in with the Dr when he checks patients, assist him while doing biopsies and small procedures, place dressings on patients, and give care instructions. Very minor stuff. Is this considered enough HCE? I'm not in back most of the time either. However, I've come to find that front office work allows for more patient interaction even though it's not a medically related connection. If that makes sense. Anyway, the last volunteering I've done was one summer in '07 at a hospital serving as a Spanish language interpreter. No PA shadowing so far either (shame on me, I know). Thankfully, I have found a kind PA that will allow me to begin shadowing her this month. I know I'm not a very competitive candidate at this moment but should I at least give it a shot for 2012? Or should I forget applying for next year completely and aim for 2013 instead? What can I do differently? Your help will me much appreciated. Thanks

hi where did you find the PA to shadow at?

hi where did you find the PA to shadow at?

Archived