Too late to apply?

It's August 6th and I still haven't finished my CASPA application. Summer classes kicked my butt this summer. I should have my application finished by the end of next week (still waiting on 1 letter of recommendation). After that i'll e-submit. Won't that take several days, if not weeks? It sounds like many schools have already started sending out people invites. Should I bother applying if it's going to cost me hundreds of dollars for all these applications?

My GRE was taken last minute and my shadow hours all came from this summer (though I could add some since I have interacted with PAs and observed them at work every day for the past year). My letters of recommendation were all sent in late this summer. My personal statement will be sent in this weekend. I sense that they will see I waited last minute to do everything and just ignore my application.

Should I just hold off and make a strong application for next year's cycle? A lot of these school's deadlines aren't until October, November, December, and March though. Is August still considered danger territory for these types of deadlines?

I applied completely last minute for schools earlier this year (Jan 15!!!) due to circumstances. I didn't think I had a chance at all but I wanted to try just in case because I really didn't want to wait another year, and I had my heart set on one school.

I applied to about 14 and got rejections from a lot because they were already filled but I actually still got 5 interviews. I luckily got into my top school and withdrew from the schools I didn't hear from so I don't know if I would have gotten an interview with them or not. There's definitely still a chance for you so if you really want to apply, go for it! 

Penn State honors their deadline of Jan 15, and they make sure that they still have spots open at that time. Eastern Virginia Medical School also looks at all their applications at once in the summer so it's not rolling. You can also apply to schools that start in January 2016 at this point on CASPA I believe. Those schools would start looking at those apps next year after they settle in their new January 2015 class.

Good luck!

Hey!

It's funny because I'm in the same situation, kind of. I acquired all of my shadowing hours this summer and took summer courses. I had everything completed maybe 2 weeks ago, but I was waiting on 1 letter of rec. However, after reading the FAQ on CASPA, you can e-submit your application with 2/3 letters of rec. It can take up to 4 weeks for the application to be verified (which I was freaking out about), so I was definitely worried. I e-submitted my applications Aug 8 and it was verified the next day! Now, I'm just waiting on the last letter and then the schools will have access to my application. Don't worry. Just relax and have faith. 

Hope this helps!

Archived