No Clinical Experience ONLY Volunteered and Clerical HCE

So I have a question, I have worked in medical for 11 years now, but only as clerical support.  I've checked in, registered, and helped patients with their visits at their time of arrival.  Departments range from ER, Day Surgery, Outpatient Radiology, Pain and Spine, Physical Therapy, Wound Care Center, Labor and Delivery, Inpatient Admission, GI Lab, and even a Pediatricians office.  Only problem is they are not considered Clinical experience.  I have shadowed PA's already and plan on doing extensive volunteer work, but as far as volunteer work goes I'm limited with patient care see it as I don't have a certification. 

I've looked at schools that don't "require" clinical experience, but do you think that the chances are pretty fair to get in to PA school without having that "clinical" patient contact, rather than just clerical. 

Thanks for all the feedback!

Research each school carefully. Some require "patient contact" and some don't care what you did as long as it was in a medical facility. For those schools, I imagine they'll want to see why you worked there and why you're passionate about medicine in order to accept you. Also note the difference between minimum HCE and average is often vast. Just because a program states a 500 hour non-pt-contact minimum doesn't mean their average applicant doesn't have 4000 hours in an ER. Look at averages and ranges for accepted applicants. That said, I interviewed at a top program, and plenty of folks seemed to be fresh out of college. Good luck!

Research each school carefully. Some require "patient contact" and some don't care what you did as long as it was in a medical facility. For those schools, I imagine they'll want to see why you worked there and why you're passionate about medicine in order to accept you. Also note the difference between minimum HCE and average is often vast. Just because a program states a 500 hour non-pt-contact minimum doesn't mean their average applicant doesn't have 4000 hours in an ER. Look at averages and ranges for accepted applicants. That said, I interviewed at a top program, and plenty of folks seemed to be fresh out of college. Good luck!

Thank you Zoopeda!

Archived