Cost - about $150,000

PA

2.5 years

always an assistant

NEVER e full fledged PCP

Cost - $125,000

So tell me where are we going??

Guest Paula

Ventana: You and I have proposed a CAQ in primary care and I believe that we need one to prove we provide Advanced primary care medical services, and once we pass the CAQ should be allowed to practice autonomously in PC.  PAs need to become the next APs if the AP designation catches on.  In reality the AP is a GP without their externship and will learn OTJ.  Just like we did after graduating PA school. 

The AP designation will be the PA downfall unless we can convince the powers that be that there is little difference between us and a 3 year medical school w/o the med school residency. Are we going Back to the Future?  

I wonder too where are we heading? 

I really feel sorry for anyone who paid $125,000 to attend PA school

This is becoming/ is the reality. 2.5-3 years, no income, schools jacking up the rates, loan interest. Most of the schools I looked at were $60-70k for tuition/supplies. Not counting the rent/food/utilities...

APs could fizzle. Three year programs are limited at the moment.

I understand the sentiment Ventana, PAs need a game changer.

This is becoming/ is the reality. 2.5-3 years, no income, schools jacking up the rates, loan interest. Most of the schools I looked at were $60-70k for tuition/supplies. Not counting the rent/food/utilities...

Then if it hits six figures for tuition and fees to attend PA school, I can't reasonably recommend actually attending PA school. The financial advantage of going to a PA program would almost be gone. I only graduated 5 years ago, and my entire program- tuition and fees- was $21,000. I'm sorry to see that this is on the low end of the bell curve.

Tuition at my program is 80k total for the two years (not including cost of living). That seems to be pretty normal here in Cal.

As a comparison, the medical school tuition is 52k/yr (4 year MD). I have friends who finished med school with easily 350K in student loans so it's definitely more expensive for everyone nowadays

Then if it hits six figures for tuition and fees to attend PA school, I can't reasonably recommend actually attending PA school. The financial advantage of going to a PA program would almost be gone. I only graduated 5 years ago, and my entire program- tuition and fees- was $21,000. I'm sorry to see that this is on the low end of the bell curve.

Wow.  Good for you.  (In all seriousness!)

my program was 30K total at a private med school program almost 20 years ago.

I want to say mine was $20K total (starting '81). Lived at home first year after graduation and commuted to job. Debt was paid off after one year. If I were going to go into debt for a six-figure amount, it would be for either an MD or DO degree only. That is why I made the earlier comment about whether the profession has peaked. At this amount of debt I don't consider it cost-effective.

I really feel sorry for anyone who paid $125,000 to attend PA school

According to PAEA, the average resident PA school tuition increased from $6,378 in 1965, to $63,098 in 2012. For non-residents the 2012 cost was about $10,000 more.

Note, however, that tuition for schools that had no break for residents, e.g. private schools like Baylor, was included in both sets of data. The average cost for schools that offer resident tuition breaks would have, otherwise, been less.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

According to PAEA, the average resident PA school tuition increased from $6,378 in 1965, to $63,098 in 2012. For non-residents the 2012 cost was about $10,000 more.

Note, however, that tuition for schools that had no break for residents, e.g. private schools like Baylor, were included in both sets of data. The average cost for schools that offer resident tuition breaks would have, otherwise, been less.

That's just tuition. It doesn't include fees, books, and living expenses. At the University of North Texas, a very solid 32 month program, estimated total costs for residents is about $120,600 and for non residents $179,500.

Guest Paula

For that cost the programs need to award doctorate degrees in clinical medicine. My tuition in 2001 was about 12,000 a year. I didn't have additional living expenses since we have a home and I didn't need to move. I was out of debt within 3 years of graduation.

That's just tuition. It doesn't include fees, books, and living expenses. At the University of North Texas, a very solid 32 month program, estimated total costs for residents is about $120,600 and for non residents $179,500.

UNT is the program I went to

"Estimated living expenses" can always vary- the only thing to really control for is tuition and fees.  Of course I ended up paying more than $21K for all of PA school, but it was such a bargain at that price for a master's program that gave me a good foundation.

Still doesn't change my opinion that > $100,000, and especially $125,000 for tuition and fees for PA school alone makes it near impossible to recommend PA over medical school

Archived