• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings from the class of 2016! Just wanted to wish all of this year's applicants the best of luck! Let me know if you have any questions about the application process, the program, etc. I'll do my best to check back and reply.

In case anyone was wondering, here is a rough timeline from last cycle:

mid-August: Submitted all materials, including supplemental
early December: invite to interview via email
January 17-18: 2-day interview; first day was program overview, tour, and group interview, second day was individual interview with panel

early February: letter of acceptance via mail

Again, good luck to everyone and hope the waiting period isn't too torturous. I know it's a lot easier said than done, but relax! 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the information djyee. I do have a question for you. Are you aware of the number of veterans in your class?

I have just been verified but my grades, gre and experience are not great. Just hoping there support of veterans helps out.

My GPA is a 3.4, my science GPA is like a 3.2, my GRE score was 156, 154, 3.5 and I only have like 800 hours of experience. All of which are below the average.

Here's hoping. Good luck to everyone.

Out of the 40 that got accepted, we have two that were in the military that I know of (Army and Air Force).

For anyone who's interested, the PA program is hosting an open house, Thursday, October 9th, from 4-6pm. So if you're in town, feel free to come and meet us! I believe they do need people to make reservations. Visit the website for more information: 
http://www.southalabama.edu/alliedhealth/pa/index.html

#'s questions form class entering 2014

I don't understand how 753 people could apply to the program and of those just under 500 were not even qualified. Why do so many people apply even though they are not qualified?

On a positive note

Of the 75 people interviewed 40 were accepted. That is a little better than 1 seat per two applications. If you assume that some of the interviewees were accepted but then declined to go to other schools that gets even better. But how much better? I wonder how many people fall under that category?

Any thoughts?

Can't really speak to why they do it, but I have spoken to quite a few people who apply even though they don't have all the pre-reqs done, or they don't have any hours, etc. I guess they just figure they'll give it a try and they can afford it.

I believe they actually sent out 90 interview invites, with 75 of the applicants coming out to interview. I think if people decline early enough, they may send out additional invites. The number of people who are accepted, but then decline their seat varies from year to year. I only know of one person who declined their spot last year so they really didn't go far in the waitlist.

#'s questions form class entering 2014

I don't understand how 753 people could apply to the program and of those just under 500 were not even qualified. Why do so many people apply even though they are not qualified?

On a positive note

Of the 75 people interviewed 40 were accepted. That is a little better than 1 seat per two applications. If you assume that some of the interviewees were accepted but then declined to go to other schools that gets even better. But how much better? I wonder how many people fall under that category?

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone here went to the Open House tonight, but for those of you who were wondering about applying as veterans...

According to our admissions coordinator, any veteran who meets the minimum requirements and applies is guaranteed an interview at least. Hope that helps!

Interesting.  In the past two years there have only been two or three qualified veteran applicant to USA.  At the time 4 seats were reserved for veterans and so these applicants were pretty much guaranteed acceptance.  This year there is at least three veteran applicants on this forum page and I can only assume if there are three among this small group that there are more.  Thankfully they have raised the number of reserved veteran seats this year to 6.  Hopefully there will be no more than 6 veteran applicants and we will practically be guaranteed seats. 

@Alana200

Did you ever considered applying for the Interservice Physician Assistant Program?

I honestly have no interest in being in the military again. Have you considered it? I really want to practice in an underserved community. Right now I am only applying to USA's program since I like their mission and we own a home here. Like you, I am hoping that I can compete with the other veterans that apply. Hopefully there aren't more than 6! Also, are the veterans applying to multiple schools? Just because they get accepted at USA, they might decide to attend elsewhere. I think we'll be alright :)

I had actually turned in the first portion of my application to IPAP in January of 2012 and found out like a week later I was going to require a medical evaluation board. In the end I was separated. Depending on your time served I wouldn't recommend going back, I was more curious if you had thought about it while serving.

I do believe the RS Pahopeful above has applied to more than one school, he or she can speak to that. I think we will be ok. To fill all their veteran seats they need three times more applicants this year than last.

• 2 weeks later...

The deadline to apply is almost here, good.  Let's get this process moving.

Has anyone who has turned in everything not received a verification email?  I have not but I did call and they said everything was in.  Just wondering if I should call back and ask for an email so that I have something in writing.  I did apply to two other schools but I have been totally sold on USA and don't want to wait another year for something simple.

The deadline to apply is almost here, good.  Let's get this process moving.

Has anyone who has turned in everything not received a verification email?  I have not but I did call and they said everything was in.  Just wondering if I should call back and ask for an email so that I have something in writing.  I did apply to two other schools but I have been totally sold on USA and don't want to wait another year for something simple.

I received an email on 10/24 that my file was complete. I designated USA on 9/12 and sent my GRE same date. My supplemental was mailed within a week of that.

I'm a first time applicant and was wondering do they send out rejection emails/letters after all the interview have finished? This whole process is so nerve-racking! Good luck to all the applicants and congrats to those that have received an interview.

Archived