NP soon to supervise PAs. Just a matter of time.

Since the AAPA is always playing defense; what will you guys do once NPs are allowed to supervise PAs? If you think it will never happen; slap yourself because it will. Will you change career? Suck it up and just deal with it since the AAPA suck Azz? When it does, we can expect a big drop in PA school applications, PA salary goes down--> less PAs --> PAs will then be as prestige as Medical Assistants. So guys, lets continue to fight among ourselves and be prepared to work for an NP in the near future.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won't ever happen. np's are under the board of nursing, pa's are under physicians and the board of medicine.

np's are shooting themselves in the foot by pissing off the docs. sure, they can have their own primary care practice but they are loosing the entire hospital based and specialty market to pa's as docs will not hire np's if they get on their inependence high horse.

Also - you're not even in PA school yet and you're complaining about the profession (of which you are not even a member yet) "doing nothing but scratching our balls" (I took the liberty of correcting your spelling). The AAPA lobbies pretty hard - although not as aggressively asI would like sometimes.

And the link to the Texas House bill looks like every other bill introduced in states where the NPs are pushing for independent practice. This is just an introduced bill. Did it actually pass yet?No. Go here and scroll down to the third story: http://npbusiness.org/

And finally, should we really cares if it does? Let the NPs become 'independent'. Data shows that most of them work for physicians (sorry, I meant 'collaborate') and are supervised in one way or another. Most of these NPs have been led astray by their leadership, many of whom have serious chips on their shoulder. I've talked to several NPs in the clinic system I work for and they have no desire to be independent. They just want what we want: to be recognized for the skills and abilities we bring to the table, and to be respected and valued because we are intelligent & capable healthcare providers.

Maybe you should go through recent past threads under prof. PA gen discussion...

I have. It seems like a big shoutfest between 'physasst', who makes a lot of sense, and Grinder993, who seems to be a paranoid alarmist with a grudge against NPs in general. 993 is a big advocate of the doctorate PA, which is a non-starter in the opinion of most in the profession.

Please, what specific examples do you have that the PA profession is in regression?

The thing is... Independance is not what the upper echelons of the NP profession are shooting for. They're after equality with the MD/DOs...

If that happens it would be a simple matter (at least on paper) for an NP to supervise a PA...

However... I see a lot of associated "what ifs?" here... Although I do like to mention NP supervision of PAs every once in a while to rattle someone's cage I think there are plenty of other, more real concerns for our profession to think about. If this issue is truely getting under the skin of a pre-PA (you know who you are!) then you should seriously consider (and reconsider) your future career path...

You need to read Greg Cains" The end of the PA profession in TN" thread...major step backward for PAs in that state....that's what the PrePAs are talking/worried about..

I did Marilyn. And I'll grant that it could be a legislative setback, but it's not the end of the PA profession in TN. I think it was physasst who stated, and is correct in my opinion, that we'll just bill under the MDs UNTIL the AAPA and the TAPA work to get it corrected. There are so many Chicken Littles running around screaming about the PA profession being doomed, it's disheartening. Does anyone really, REALLY think that we'll all wake up one day with worthless, unmarketable degrees & certifications?

No Navy I don't, but if you have read any/many of my post you will see what I have been saying now for a very long time. I have said many times in the past that we will have to fight twice as hard to get half as far as NPs. They have a powerful lobby that we don't. I would half expect the doctors to help us, but it hasn't happened. We have to be our own foot soldiers, by performance and word of mouth. There are states that are more PA friendly, and some that are unfriendly. What states are NP unfriendly? There are states where NPs can practice independent and that sounds mighty fine to me.

The thing is... Independance is not what the upper echelons of the NP profession are shooting for. They're after equality with the MD/DOs...

If that happens it would be a simple matter (at least on paper) for an NP to supervise a PA...

However... I see a lot of associated "what ifs?" here... Although I do like to mention NP supervision of PAs every once in a while to rattle someone's cage I think there are plenty of other, more real concerns for our profession to think about. If this issue is truely getting under the skin of a pre-PA (you know who you are!) then you should seriously consider (and reconsider) your future career path...

It still won't happen. Doen't matter if they are "independent" or not. They are still, as EMED mentioned, under the Board of Nursing. Equality is only their pursuit in terms of reimbursements.

Unless they are willing to come under the umbrella of the Medical Board in each state, in which case, they would lose a lot of their "independence", then they will never be allowed to supervise a PA. State laws, and practice acts forbid this, it's that simple. This is pure fear mongering from an uninformed source.

I must say, to the OP, that perhaps you shouldn't become a PA if you are this scared. Tennessee is an issue, and it is one that is being addressed by the TAPA and AAPA. Unfortunately, the AAPA has been trying to get that language changed for some time. Congress has so far, not done so. We have fought far larger and more difficult battles in our history. We will fight, and likely eventually win on this battle. But these things take time. You can't simply make a phone call, and get a regulation or law changed.

Speaking of which, and this is for ALL PA's in Tennessee. Have you written your state reps and senators? Have you contacted your Congressman and US senate representatives? Have you called their offices?

If you haven't, than you really have no right to complain about this process. It's easy to b*tch. What have you done about it, besides come on some obscure PA internet forum and complain? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but unless you are donating money and/or writing your elected officials...than you are part of the problem, not the solution.

Guest cabkrun
Also - you're not even in PA school yet and you're complaining about the profession (of which you are not even a member yet) "doing nothing but scratching our balls" (I took the liberty of correcting your spelling). The AAPA lobbies pretty hard - although not as aggressively asI would like sometimes.

And the link to the Texas House bill looks like every other bill introduced in states where the NPs are pushing for independent practice. This is just an introduced bill. Did it actually pass yet?No. Go here and scroll down to the third story: http://npbusiness.org/

And finally, should we really cares if it does? Let the NPs become 'independent'. Data shows that most of them work for physicians (sorry, I meant 'collaborate') and are supervised in one way or another. Most of these NPs have been led astray by their leadership, many of whom have serious chips on their shoulder. I've talked to several NPs in the clinic system I work for and they have no desire to be independent. They just want what we want: to be recognized for the skills and abilities we bring to the table, and to be respected and valued because we are intelligent & capable healthcare providers.

This is what I have seen, working with both PAs and NPs in my pre-PA employment. Most docs I've worked for or know, treat them the same.

The Nursing "leadership" is actually not that well liked nor respected from all sides of the spectrum. They are seen as power players that only want more of it, not what is right for the patient or even their nurses.

JMHObservations

Paranoia ey? Does Tennessee ring a bell? It probably dosen't affect you since u don't live there.

I don't but I've taken the time to follow the issue and understand it- instead of blowing it out of proportion and leading it to an untenable conclusion.

Any real issue which happens nationally affects us all to some degree, regardless of state borders.

Attending national hill lobby day early this month showed just how few PAs participate in lobbying with the AAPA. Sadder still was when I attended state Lobby day last month, only about a dozen or so practicing PAs attended. Point blank, the nurses move in mass numbers. If the NPs want something done they have the entire nursing lobby which by sheer numbers the PA profession will never compete with. The PA profession has to continually make noise to adobt change and expecting the same people to get it done while the majority sit back and complain only slows the process down. Calling in on a national call in day is helpful, but those wanting to make more of an effort can call and visit their respective congressman without a national effort.

BTW, sitting in a congressman's office educating them on the PA profession, correcting misconceptions while also explaining the reasoning behind wanting each bill was an absolute blast. Practicing PAs were more than happy to allow students to present and discuss the information if they desired.

Do you want to know the real NP agenda........

Most NPs that I have worked with are simply trying to do the best jobs they can as MLPs and somehow manage go home to their families and friends with some level of energy left at the end of the day.

+1....every NP I know would tell you quite matter of factly, that they have no desire to supervise another provider....

f

If the NPs want something done they have the entire nursing lobby which by sheer numbers the PA profession will never compete with.
This is the truest part of the issue.

The more PAs there are, the more density we will have, the more visible we'll be to ourselves, the more we'll feel like a unit, the more we will congregate, discuss and advocate. The more effective thing we could do in the long-term is to grow the number of PAs. Propagate the species. This would also probably be a relatively quick boon to advocacy with all of the fresh-faced, energetic PAs that would emerge in a short period of time.

As an NP, I can tell you that I have no interest in supervising another provider. I have immense respect for PAs, and I consider them my peers. I think although are training is very different, the jobs that we do in many areas are very similar. Where I work, we all do the same thing, I just don't have to have a doctor sign my charts and I can get a DEA number. I think that they should be afforded the same autonomy as us. I do not think that NPs in general, or even nursing leadership for that matter, is trying to get on equal footing with physicians. They are just working to obtain respect and autonomy within the profession and I for one feel that is a wonderful thing. The stuff going on in Tennessee is ridiculous and as a provider just across the border (literally) I think it's terrible. I do not forsee that PAs will ever, ever, EVER be under the supervision of an NP. Sorry, but I feel like that's a little extreme. If you are really that worried, I would probably reconsider being a pre-pa student. PA organizations just need to fight as hard as organized nursing.

Archived