Arrowhead ER Residency

Hi, everyone. 

I did a search and couldn't find anything to specifically answer my questions, so please forgive me if this has been covered at length before. 

I'm a first-year PA student, and a thousand things might change before I get to the point of applying to a residency (so you might call this a little preemptive), but I have my eye on the Arrowhead (Riverside, CA) one for both geographical and professional reasons, and I was hoping for some advice on things that I could do throughout the course of my PA school education that might help strengthen my application for such a competitive program. 

I figured that I would turn to my fellow forum people first before calling the program, since it is SO far out from my time of application (and it seems like I have a billion exams between now and then, hyperbole excluded). 

I have a strong background in EMS coming in to PA school; I have been an EMT for a busy inner-city ambulance company running 911 calls for about 6.5 years. 

But basically, what do people look for with this type of residency? Is it grades? GPA in PA school? Recommendations from appropriate people? Specific focus on a thesis (I'm in a master's program right now)? Extra ER rotations in clinical year? Personal essays? Interviews / interpersonal stuff? Volunteer work during PA school in trauma/ER/homeless clinics/etc.? 

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance, as always. 

I was just accepted for the upcoming class of Arrowhead EM residents.  I think what they are primarily looking for are people who are interested in emergency medicine, interested in working hard to be good at EM, and looking to be in EM for the long haul.  I was probably not a spectacular candidate on paper, I did not have a spectacular PA school GPA (3.22), I did my elective in the cardiothoracic critical care unit, went to PA school on the opposite side of the country and my background pre-pa school was as a physical therapy aide. My impression was that the program director was not looking for people who were EM stars, rather they know we come out and need help to get up to speed and it is their goal to help us get there with less struggle and take us to a much higher level than a typical PA would be after 1 year of working in the ED.  

Good luck with first year!  

@charlietelesco, 

Congratulations on your recent acceptance to the program!! That's so exciting! And thank you so much for the reply, your experience is really appreciated. It's nice to know that you stand a chance at getting into this residency without twelve electives in emergency medicine, especially since I don't have that many to spare! 

Thanks again! 

• 4 weeks later...

I believe you can apply for your EM medicine rotation for PA school there, if yourmprogram allows it, even if out of state. I did mine there 2009 (well worth it) and there were students from all over who had arranged their own rotations from different medical and PA programs. Would be a great way to get familiar with them.

• 1 month later...

Helpful thread. Also a first year student. If I end up in EM, I'll definitely do a residency first, even though I worked in the ER for almost 4 years prior to starting my program. In most cases, EM is not a good fit for a new grad. I believe this even more after I saw a new physician coming from a 3 year EM residency get put through the ringer.

It takes a thick-skinned person willing to put up with constant criticism, yet maintain confidence in their abilities to start a new career in this field.

Constant criticism from whom? Other healthcare professionals? or Patients? 

doctors(mostly off-service consultants although occasionally your own attendings) and nursing managers who think they are your boss, but aren't.

EM, unfortunately, in many places is a specialty in which the senior folks eat their young....it's rare ( and a pleasant surprise) to find a place where PAs are respected right out of the gate without having to jump through a lot of hoops. I graduated almost 20 yrs ago and have had 7 different jobs(still have 3 of them), each better than the prior one. I think I have maxed out the local opportunities. I'm good where I am now and would need to travel to the east coast for better jobs at this point.

... EM, unfortunately, in many places is a specialty in which the senior folks eat their young....it's rare ( and a pleasant surprise) to find a place where PAs are respected right out of the gate without having to jump through a lot of hoops ...

Oh man, is that ever true. Senior folks eating their young. Granted this is based on my own biased observations over the years, and many discussions with EM physicians - but it seems that when you come in as a new provider, you can expect to get the worst shifts, and the most flak (from supervisors to nurses) until you really prove yourself. You've got to know how to handle everything from a drug-seeker to acute peritonitis to a full code. When you leave your shift, you can bet they'll be discussing your treatment plans amongst themselves and whether or not they think you're pulling your weight. You've got to make a good impression from the get go. It's not PA specific and is same with MDs and DOs. But, PAs already have a bit more of a battle, especially from the more senior staff and docs who don't really understand or respect the profession. So much of EM is about earning respect amongst your fellow colleagues and consulting docs so that they trust your professional judgment and medical skills, and are willing to back you up.

Certainly, the same could be said about working in many specialties, but I see this being acutely magnified in EM due to the nature of the work, the multi-tasking, the number and types of patients seen on a typical shift, and the constant reliance of others on the healthcare team to make it run smooth.

Archived