Clinical Psychology Degree with PA License

Well jeez, I would hope that I could at least perform in the realm of decent on the MCAT. Really, my blunder with pre-reqs for the MCAT is having to take Physics and Organic Chemistry II. Dreadfully fear Physics... I will still have to research PA outlooks in neuropsychology and behavioral health as a stand alone without the additional Psych degree. Interesting to know the realities of NP preference in Psychiatry though. 

I wasn't trying to imply you wouldn't do well on the MCAT. I was merely stating that the bar is lower for DO school.

How do you like the dhsc process you're doing, thus far? Out of the three you mentioned, I would be trying to earn the most applicable degree. I am in an area of research now that is really neat and I am cure to delve into some others... just don't ever want a degree I don't utilize. 

see my thread on my DHSc program at the top of  the recovery room area of this forum . in short, love it. almost done.

see my thread on my DHSc program at the top of  the recovery room area of this forum . in short, love it. almost done.

I will be sure to check it out. I will be able to navigate around here with no problems very soon. If I haven't worn you out with questions as is, if I were to stay in academia (research), would you recommend going through PA school first? I see the DHSc is something you did after the fact. Primarily, I am research oriented with practice taking second place. 

I am a clinical psychologist and PA in private practice. I was a psychologist first, and then because I found the biopsychosocial model so compelling, wanted to be able to understand and treat the biological piece. At 35, with 2 kids, it was too much time and commitment to go the whole med school and residency route, so this has worked out well for me. I am a partner in a practice which allows me the freedom to do as much therapy and med management as I like. Unfortunately, the reimbursement for therapy is not good, and is getting worse with each passing year (the market is flooded with master's level therapists, for one). To make decent money, most of my practice is geared toward meds. This is why most psychiatrists don't do therapy...but they can do it if they choose. If I were to do it all over again, I'd do med school and psych residency. Let's face it, it's an MD world, and they will always have options and autonomy we won't.  Please understand, I love what I do, but the commitment to the PhD program--after PA school, is a minimum of 5 years in most cases, during which you'll get rusty in medicine. Four years of med school and 3-4 of residency work out to about the same amount of time training, but in the end there's much more money, independence, and broader career options with the MD. I'd be happy to answer any other questions. Best of luck.

• Upvote 3

• 10 months later...

I see more NP propaganda up top from the resident NP...

Most Psych NPs that I worked/work with got their PNP from ONLINE PROGRAMS...

Yep they were instructed to read a few books on counseling theory, took a few multiple guess tests on what they read, then allowed to observe their preceptor do a little therapy.

PAs that want to do therapy CAN read the same books. So... the emphasis on being given a couple books to read by your online PNP program is kinda silly.

Yes there are billing issues for therapy by SOME Insurance companies. This is NOT really that big of a deal when one considers, like as said above...

Just about ALL Therapy is done by poorly paid/poorly reimbursed Master's Level Therapists.

FEW "Prescribers" (MD/DO/PA/NP) do anything more than Medication Management along with "supportive psychotherapy" and/or "Motivational Interviewing."

Why...??? Because that practice needs these HIGHLY PAID prescribers ... prescribing/managing/assessing. That's where the money is.

YMMV

• Upvote 1

• 5 years later...

I am currently in a Clinical Psychology masters program and I love what I am learning and what the job will entail of afterwards. After graduating from my bachelors I had to take a gap year in order to finish up my pre-reqs and gather clinical hours. I felt like there was a gap in my life like I had unfinished business with my self and I did not feel confident applying to PA school yet. Going through this masters program in Clinical Psychology has helped me find my self immensely! psychology is a beautiful field that helps you understand human behavior. So I can see why you would want to combine both professions! I do know that having a background in psychology would make you a PA with amazing bedside manners and a great understanding for diversity, the human mind, the mind when it is ill, and so forth. I still would love to apply to PA school and I only have one life to live so I might after a few years of working as a licensed clinical therapist. 

So what I am trying to say is if you are trying to save time and you are passionate about PA school, go to PA school! and work in the mental health field. But if you are curious about taking the clinical psychology route get your masters, get licensed as a clinical psychologist and work as a clinical psych for a few years until you are ready to apply to PA school. I don't think you can combine both I have tried looking into it and understand why you would be curious about it. But they are both very different professions and are kept separate for that same reason.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By wildassignment86
      Hi all, 
      I have been accepted into PA school and am starting to have second thoughts. The initial plan was to graduate and specialize in psychiatry. I have an interest in psychology and neurology.  Becoming an MD is out of the question, as I can't move (military family).  I have found one accredited Ph.D. distance program in Clinical Psychology. I have considered going that route but am scared I'll regret not going PA. This time last year, I was thrilled to get an interview.  Is it normal to have cold feet?  Has anyone else made a similar choice? Anyways, thanks for listening. 
    • By Tarantino
      Hi, everyone. I'm a non-traditional student, wrapping up my associate's degree in psychology from a small state school (not a community college) in Georgia. This college only offers 3 bachelor degrees, which is why I would finish elsewhere. I was a student at Arizona State Online, but transferred to take my prerequisites and labs in person. All my science prerequisites with in-person labs for PA programs will be done prior to transferring to the next college for my bachelor's degree. Now that I'm almost done, I was originally planning to then finish my degree through ASU, but am now considering finishing it at my local university for various reasons. Here's the two options I have:

Option A: Finish my bachelor's degree in psychology at my local university.
      PROS: Graduate with less than $10k in debt. Get hands-on experience in research. More than likely get a stronger letter of recommendation.
      CONS: It would take longer to finish. I would barely get by, working part-time and living paycheck to paycheck. I would have to devote more time to in-person classes, which would take away from my income and time to do other things. Less volunteer hours. ALL clinical hours will be in private EMS, so my hands-on experience and skills won't be utilized as much, as it's 95% mostly transporting stable patients.
      Option B: Finish my bachelor's degree in psychology at Arizona State University (online).
      PROS: Accelerated program and can finish in 1.5 years instead of 2.5 years. Work in 911 EMS, which means better hands-on experience and utilizing my skills more - I think this will also make me a better provider in the future. More time to work, which means more income. More time not in a physical class, which means more time to volunteer, which is less stressful since I also have more money in general. Still get to go graduate in person.
      CONS: Graduate with around $30k in debt. Weaker letters of recommendation. Little research opportunity. Obvious I finished my degree online because the college is 20+ hours away.

Although it would cost more to finish at ASU, I could become a PA faster, which means it would actually be better financially IF I were to get into both at the same cycle.
    • By BJessee
      I am looking for some insight from any PA practicing in outpatient psychiatry, especially is TN or VA
      I heard from a colleague that there has been some issue with reimbursement in the outpatient psychiatry realm that is specific to PA services
      I wondered if anyone currently practicing in this specialty or anyone with knowledge about the situation could weigh in. 

Are PAs reimbursed at the normal rate or at a decreased rate?
      Are there discrepancies between reimbursement for medicare/Medicaid and commercial insurers?
      Thank you all in advance!
    • By Jovan
      I have a friend who is a fellow new grad PA, and she is considering a 2-year residency program in psych. She has a passion for psychiatry and could see herself making big differences there, however she is worried that she may begin to forget general medicine if she only works in psych for 2 or 3 years. Her other passion is ortho surgery (and other general surgery). She has also considered pediatrics and inpatient neonatal as other close-2nd choices.
      So, I'm wondering if anyone has had to decide between two fairly distinct specialties or switched between the two, years down the road. In particular has anyone here gone from a psych residency program to another specialty (or moonlighted / floated elsewhere)... or any other residency program to something else?
      In general, how difficult is it to find a general medicine or even surgery job after working only in psych for a while?
    • By PACShrink
      IMHO there is a great deal of potential in this specialty.
      This article is a few months old but the numbers are solid...
      https://www.managedcaremag.com/archives/2018/1/shrinking-psychiatrist-shortage
        According to this article ' Nationally about 1,800 PAs, or roughly 2% of the total number practicing, specialize in psychiatry'.
      Looking at Psychiatrist shortage ' From 2003 to 2013, the number of practicing psychiatrists declined by 0.2%, to 37,889 nationally by 2013. During the same decade, the number of adult primary care doctors increased by 9.5%, to 211,121 total, and by 14.2% to 862,444 among physicians overall'. ' By 2015, 60% were 55 years or older'.
         I know.... You are thinking that new grads need experience for this type of work. This is not true. The right personality and an opportunity are all you need.... That and a desire to work in mental health, I should say...
       Of course you can apply for a clerkship. I found 7 programs here:
      https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/education/medstudents/pa.aspx
      https://medicine.uiowa.edu/psychiatry/education/fellowship-programs/physician-assistant-pa-psychiatry-fellowship
      https://www.houston.va.gov/Education/Physician_Assistant_Residency_Mental_Health/Physician_Assistant_Residency_Mental_Health.asp
      https://www.novanthealth.org/careers/psychiatric-fellowship.aspx
      https://www.carolinashealthcare.org/education/Center-for-Advanced-Practice/Fellowships/Behavioral-Health
      https://medicine.missouri.edu/departments/psychiatry/fellowship-program/physician-assistant-fellowship
      http://www.brookdalehospital.org/psychiatry-residency.html

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More