MementoMori

Clinical Psychology Degree with PA License

Well jeez, I would hope that I could at least perform in the realm of decent on the MCAT. Really, my blunder with pre-reqs for the MCAT is having to take Physics and Organic Chemistry II. Dreadfully fear Physics... I will still have to research PA outlooks in neuropsychology and behavioral health as a stand alone without the additional Psych degree. Interesting to know the realities of NP preference in Psychiatry though. 

I wasn't trying to imply you wouldn't do well on the MCAT. I was merely stating that the bar is lower for DO school.

How do you like the dhsc process you're doing, thus far? Out of the three you mentioned, I would be trying to earn the most applicable degree. I am in an area of research now that is really neat and I am cure to delve into some others... just don't ever want a degree I don't utilize. 

see my thread on my DHSc program at the top of  the recovery room area of this forum . in short, love it. almost done.

see my thread on my DHSc program at the top of  the recovery room area of this forum . in short, love it. almost done.

I will be sure to check it out. I will be able to navigate around here with no problems very soon. If I haven't worn you out with questions as is, if I were to stay in academia (research), would you recommend going through PA school first? I see the DHSc is something you did after the fact. Primarily, I am research oriented with practice taking second place. 

then why go to PA school at all?

I am on my way to check out the DHSc link. And my desire to practice would not be subdued without actually practicing.

I am a clinical psychologist and PA in private practice. I was a psychologist first, and then because I found the biopsychosocial model so compelling, wanted to be able to understand and treat the biological piece. At 35, with 2 kids, it was too much time and commitment to go the whole med school and residency route, so this has worked out well for me. I am a partner in a practice which allows me the freedom to do as much therapy and med management as I like. Unfortunately, the reimbursement for therapy is not good, and is getting worse with each passing year (the market is flooded with master's level therapists, for one). To make decent money, most of my practice is geared toward meds. This is why most psychiatrists don't do therapy...but they can do it if they choose. If I were to do it all over again, I'd do med school and psych residency. Let's face it, it's an MD world, and they will always have options and autonomy we won't.  Please understand, I love what I do, but the commitment to the PhD program--after PA school, is a minimum of 5 years in most cases, during which you'll get rusty in medicine. Four years of med school and 3-4 of residency work out to about the same amount of time training, but in the end there's much more money, independence, and broader career options with the MD. I'd be happy to answer any other questions. Best of luck.

• Upvote 3

I see more NP propaganda up top from the resident NP...

Most Psych NPs that I worked/work with got their PNP from ONLINE PROGRAMS...

Yep they were instructed to read a few books on counseling theory, took a few multiple guess tests on what they read, then allowed to observe their preceptor do a little therapy.

PAs that want to do therapy CAN read the same books. So... the emphasis on being given a couple books to read by your online PNP program is kinda silly.

Yes there are billing issues for therapy by SOME Insurance companies. This is NOT really that big of a deal when one considers, like as said above...

Just about ALL Therapy is done by poorly paid/poorly reimbursed Master's Level Therapists.

FEW "Prescribers" (MD/DO/PA/NP) do anything more than Medication Management along with "supportive psychotherapy" and/or "Motivational Interviewing."

Why...??? Because that practice needs these HIGHLY PAID prescribers ... prescribing/managing/assessing. That's where the money is.

YMMV

PAs that want to do therapy CAN read the same books.

The same can really be said of any facet of medical care, welcome to the information age.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By PACShrink
      IMHO there is a great deal of potential in this specialty.
      This article is a few months old but the numbers are solid...
      https://www.managedcaremag.com/archives/2018/1/shrinking-psychiatrist-shortage
        According to this article ' Nationally about 1,800 PAs, or roughly 2% of the total number practicing, specialize in psychiatry'.
      Looking at Psychiatrist shortage ' From 2003 to 2013, the number of practicing psychiatrists declined by 0.2%, to 37,889 nationally by 2013. During the same decade, the number of adult primary care doctors increased by 9.5%, to 211,121 total, and by 14.2% to 862,444 among physicians overall'. ' By 2015, 60% were 55 years or older'.
         I know.... You are thinking that new grads need experience for this type of work. This is not true. The right personality and an opportunity are all you need.... That and a desire to work in mental health, I should say...
       Of course you can apply for a clerkship. I found 7 programs here:
      https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/education/medstudents/pa.aspx
      https://medicine.uiowa.edu/psychiatry/education/fellowship-programs/physician-assistant-pa-psychiatry-fellowship
      https://www.houston.va.gov/Education/Physician_Assistant_Residency_Mental_Health/Physician_Assistant_Residency_Mental_Health.asp
      https://www.novanthealth.org/careers/psychiatric-fellowship.aspx
      https://www.carolinashealthcare.org/education/Center-for-Advanced-Practice/Fellowships/Behavioral-Health
      https://medicine.missouri.edu/departments/psychiatry/fellowship-program/physician-assistant-fellowship
      http://www.brookdalehospital.org/psychiatry-residency.html

• By cemetra
      I'm attending Arizona State University online. I live in Georgia and I'm 24 years old. ASU is a quarter-based system, which means I get college credits on a quarterly basis instead of a semester basis. All PA and AA schools (I'm interested in both) require a certain amount of prerequisite hours, but at ASU, I would be about an hour or two short in a lot of them, like biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, etc. So, me getting a degree in biology from ASU is kind of pointless, because I'd have to take some additional prerequisite classes at my local college anyways. I should also mention I have a job (in aviation) that pays pretty well - about $60,000 a year. I am also in the process of getting my Surgical Technician certifications, but this will take a year or so. With this being said, I have two options:

A: Get my Surgical Tech school done and take a really low course load at ASU for Biology to ensure I maintain as close to a 4.0 as possible. Get about 60 of 120 credits from ASU (amount needed to transfer), then transfer to the University of Georgia. Finish my degree in biology, but live off loans. Try to find a part-time CST job while in Athens to keep them as low as possible. Continue with a low class load to keep a good GPA. This way, I'm keeping my grades high, but still getting some crucial clinical experience. Eventually graduate from UGA, a highly respected school in Georgia, with a degree in Biology. Then apply to programs. Most will be far away, so if I get accepted into one of those, I'll also probably have to live off loans for the two years of AA or PA school. Lots of debt, but better undergrad, experience (in life and classwork), and higher caliber school.

B: Buy a mobile home for a great price ($13k practically brand new) - a home right next to my parent's. In 3 years, it'll be paid off and cost me half as much as renting. Continue my degree at Arizona State University (online) in something like psychology, since my prerequisites won't count the same anyways. Minor in personal health. Get my Surgical Tech school done and work part-time while attending ASU. Finish my psychology degree, then take the right prerequisites at my local college. Don't live off any student loans until I get accepted into AA or PA school.

Option A seems nice. I can go to UGA, graduate with a degree in Biology, have that prestigious college (at least for my state) attached to my degree, finish everything on a physical campus, have easier access to volunteering in research studies at the campus, have 100% of my focus on my school and GPA (this is important as grades don't come naturally to me), and pretty much devote my life to making sure my prerequisites and overall GPA are top notch. The bad - I'd live off loans and accumulate a lot more debt and UGA is harder (could be a good thing for preparation) in their expectations. A lot of good, but the two bad are related to more debt and harder to get a good GPA.

Option B seems good too, but not as appealing. I'll undergrad in psychology and minor in personal health (biology/chem/etc not available). Take all the right prerequisites at a local college that should be easier to pass versus UGA's standards. Save money by working as a Surgical Tech and paying $500/mo in a mortgage payment versus $1,000/mo for an apartment.

SORRY TO RAMBLE. What's your opinion? 
    • By cemetra
      Is a degree in a natural science like chemistry or biology more beneficial than a degree in something like psychology? Does one prepare you more for PA school than another?
      I was going to go to college for a Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a minor in Personal Health. Obviously, my end goal is to become a PA. I’m currently in the process of becoming a surgical technician, and would like to be a surgical PA.
      When I look at actual PA programs curriculum (at least near me), they don’t seem to be heavily science-based in terms of like Organic Chemistry, Biology, etc other than the prerequisites to get accepted. Once you get accepted though, the context looks a lot less detailed on those things. Am I missing something?
      From my perspective, a psychology degree would be just as beneficial as biology. Am I wrong?
    • By cemetra
      Hi, everyone. I’m going to attempt becoming a PA and need some advice. I have a good idea on what I’ll be doing to attempt getting into programs, so I’ll go ahead and give you my estimated credentials when applying to a program, sometime in the next 4 years.
        Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a minor in Health Sciences from Arizona State University. 3.6 GPA Standard GRE scores (haven’t taken any yet, but to play it safe, I’ll just say I’ve hypothetically scored average or slightly above average) Surgical Technician degree from a local technical college with ~ 2,000 hours clinical experience with ~ 500 hours of volunteer hospital-related work. Seeking to become a Surgical Physician Assistant.   My main concern is that I’ll be attending ASU Online. I live in Georgia, so I’m sure the topic will be brought up and if I moved here, took online classes, etc. I’m completely content with online classes and don’t think they’ll harm my chances. I’ve inquired to PA programs near me, and they have all said they accept online programs like I’m pursuing, but that doesn’t let me know if someone would be deemed more competitive if they had similar credentials as me but in a physical campus. For my labs (required for PA program acceptance), I will actually have to fly out of state and attend those in person in an accelerated fashion specifically designed for out of state online students, so I’m still getting that physical lab presence, and it’s from a highly respected university.   With all that being said, I currently have a job in aviation with a Fortune 500 company - I know, totally different world. My point is that I make really good money for my age. I’m 24 and made a little over $60,000 last year, which is very good in Georgia. So I don’t want to leave my current job to pursue school in a more traditional sense. I’m actually attending two colleges simultaneously - the local tech college for my Surgical Technician degree and ASU.   I’ve just started on my ST program, which will take about 18 months. In this time, I can continue to go to ASU Online, work towards my bachelor’s, and save up as much money as possible from my job. After I complete the ST program, I’ll leave my current job to gain some clinical experience. I’ll have about 2-3 years left for me to finish my bachelors, which will give me plenty of time to rack up those required clinical hours.   Sorry to rant, but I just wanted to get everything out there in a single post. Do you guys think I’m on the right track? How do you feel about me getting an online degree from ASU while simultaneously working for clinical experience? Does getting a degree part-time look less competitive than someone who’s going to college full time? How do you feel about my credentials?   Answers to any questions are highly appreciated! Thanks again.
    • By PsychiatricPA
      I graduated December 2017 and my specialty of choice is Psychiatry. However, the only Psych position that I found in my area was Locum Tenens for 6 months, outpatient. I can't move at this moment. Any advice? Should I start with this or wait for the right position? Loan repayment starts in May so I'm a little worried. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More