Trying to Raise GPA, 100 vs 300 level courses?

Both are 3 credits. One is an astronomy (100) and the other is Ecology (300). If I'm just trying to raise my GPA does it matter which I take? Obviously the astronomy will be far easier. But I think maybe I should go for the upper division because it looks better?

Take 300 or 400 level classes and knock them out of the park. Opting for human science courses specifically(pathophysiology, medical microbio, medical biochem, pharmacology, endocrinology,etc) are even more ideal if your school offers them because you're then able to show the admissions committee you can handle the rigors of the didactic portion of PA school. 

I don't care what they say about "striving for excellence and challenging one's self," for better or for worse, I've found again and again that an A in a lower level course is worth more than a B in an upper level course.  It pains me to say it, but that GPA number is critical to acceptance.  If you have to take a year of basic math to complement your organic chemistry classes--if there's anything I've seen about the process so far--it tells me to 'do it'.  Also "ecology" is not exactly "Biochem."  If you're comparing eco and astro (also a science), it's a no-brainer to go astro in my book.  (But you will want something like Ochem or genetics or something along the way.)  Good luck.  

Thanks guys. I'm going to go with astronomy if I need it. That said I'm taking a bunch of health science classes that may or may not count as other science so it depends on them.

As far as that biochemistry prerequisite. It's crazy that some schools Jane virtually no prerequisites, while others require biochemistry. Which for me means an additional semester of orgo. I already have 4 credits if orgo! Ha

Archived