Congratulations everyone! 

I did a happy dance once I got the acceptance email last night...and the dog looked at me like I was crazy.

Quick question, does anyone know if you can "hide" being in a group on facebook?  Not ready to announce to the social media world that I have been accepted for a little bit but really want to join the facebook group to keep up with everything.

Thanks!

PAplease-

I went into settings to view my profile from a friends perspective- you can do this too after joining the group and search specific people and see how they view your profile. When viewing from the others perspective, I couldn't see that I had joined the group anywhere on my page but I also have have higher security settings. I THINK it is safe for you to join- I don't think it shows up on news feed either. You could join the group, and go into your settings to view from your coworkers perspective and see if you can find the group :) Best of luck!

-Bree

Hi everyone- After a lot of research I just wanted to suggest that if people were interested in joining the MPA 2017 FB page it's best to create a brand new FB site for yourself and then join...(especially if you're like me and am not ready to post your acceptance on your personal FB site. I have coworkers I'm connected to that don't know I'm leaving yet....). Anyways what happens is even if you "hide" your groups on your personal page so your friends can't view what groups you've joined (including closed groups like this one) it still shows up on a "feed". FB does this thing where they make "suggestions" of groups to join. It is similar to how they make "suggestions" for friends you may know. I found that it will make suggestions to your friends list to join the MPA 2017 group if you actually join. They will see that you are a member of the group. So best thing to do if you want to meet others in our class through that FB site is to create a brand new FB site for yourself and join. This may not be a big deal to most, but hope this helps those that had questions about the anonymity of it! Look forward to meeting everyone in Jan.

@hokie4beach - fantastic idea!!! I didn't think about it that way. I'll like to catch up on Facebook and see what's being discussed. Awesome.

Hi everyone- After a lot of research I just wanted to suggest that if people were interested in joining the MPA 2017 FB page it's best to create a brand new FB site for yourself and then join...(especially if you're like me and am not ready to post your acceptance on your personal FB site. I have coworkers I'm connected to that don't know I'm leaving yet....). Anyways what happens is even if you "hide" your groups on your personal page so your friends can't view what groups you've joined (including closed groups like this one) it still shows up on a "feed". FB does this thing where they make "suggestions" of groups to join. It is similar to how they make "suggestions" for friends you may know. I found that it will make suggestions to your friends list to join the MPA 2017 group if you actually join. They will see that you are a member of the group. So best thing to do if you want to meet others in our class through that FB site is to create a brand new FB site for yourself and join. This may not be a big deal to most, but hope this helps those that had questions about the anonymity of it! Look forward to meeting everyone in Jan.

CAtchall, Moving services can be very expensive depending on where you live now. Coming from Utah, I was quoted an average of $7k for a one bedroom apartment. Even renting a moving van will cost about $2k, not including gas. For me, it will just be cheaper to find a furnished place or buy some cheap Ikea stuff and place the rest of my apartment into storage.

I was in the military for 9 years and had to move every 2 years. Needless to say, I'm used to picking up and going somewhere new.

If you are going to use a moving service, make sure you do your research on them. Some will only do depreciated value on damaged items and others will do full replacement value. Video tape all electronics to show that they are in good working condition and in the video zoom in on the serial numbers and model numbers. There are a few more tricks you will want to do, so let me know if you decide to use one.

Fitz

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Fitz. Still trying to figure it out. We have received quotes of 2k up to 5k, and it looks like it would cost about 2k even if we just did uhaul. Personally I'm leaning towards the take the money and run route, my girlfriend is attached to some of her LARGE pieces though so... Anyways I'll let you know what happens, could definitely use whatever tricks you have picked up!

Regards

Hi Everyone! I know I'm late in the game but I received an offer of acceptance from EVMS yesterday and could not be more excited!! I just requested to join the MPA Class of 2017 FB group so I can get caught up on everything I have missed thus far. I cannot wait to meet everyone and start this journey together :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!! Like, vtprepa13, I am also late but I just got off the waitlist yesterday and got offered a seat! I'm so stoked and overwhelmed with joy! I also requested to join the MPA class of 2017 facebook group so we can all stay connected.  See you all in January! 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was just pulled off of the wait list and will also be attending in January!! I am extremely excited to meet everyone and am scrambling to get ready for the move. Does anyone still need a roommate or have advice on where to live? Also, what is the title of the FB group? 

• 3 months later...

Congrats to everyone who was accepted. Although I'm not yet on the same boat, I was hoping some of you could provide me with some insight in regards to your experience.

After spending the past 5 years as a special Ed teacher, I've decided to pursue my dream of going into the medical field to become a PA. I've done well with meeting the required pre-reqs listed on EVMS's website, however I was wondering if those typically accepted met more than just the minimum listed, such as genetics, pharmacology, pathology, organic chem 1&2, etc.

Additionally, although I have other career experience as well as a grad degree in education, I do not have any health care experience. I know EVMS states they do not require HCE, but according to their stats, it seems that a majority of the students have a significant amount of paid/direct health care experience. Will the fact that I do not have any direct HCE aside from shadowing hurt me in the application process?

Any insight would be tremendously appreciated. Again, congrats to all of you. I hope you're enjoying the tough, but life changing, and exciting academic experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to everyone who was accepted. Although I'm not yet on the same boat, I was hoping some of you could provide me with some insight in regards to your experience.

After spending the past 5 years as a special Ed teacher, I've decided to pursue my dream of going into the medical field to become a PA. I've done well with meeting the required pre-reqs listed on EVMS's website, however I was wondering if those typically accepted met more than just the minimum listed, such as genetics, pharmacology, pathology, organic chem 1&2, etc.

Additionally, although I have other career experience as well as a grad degree in education, I do not have any health care experience. I know EVMS states they do not require HCE, but according to their stats, it seems that a majority of the students have a significant amount of paid/direct health care experience. Will the fact that I do not have any direct HCE aside from shadowing hurt me in the application process?

Any insight would be tremendously appreciated. Again, congrats to all of you. I hope you're enjoying the tough, but life changing, and exciting academic experience.

Hi Janu!

Sorry for a delayed response from those of us people who lurk the forums from time to time.  Hopefully I could provide a little help...

That's wonderful that you've decided to pursue your dream with medicine, and specifically the PA route, don't give up!  In regards to the minimums, they are just that, minimums.  The higher your stats, the better application you will have.  That being said, an example is the GPA.  The EVMS PA GPA requirement is 3.0 as a minimum, but I believe our class GPA average, whether it be undergrad, or replacement, was ~3.8 if I remember correctly.  That is just one example, but obviously higher GPAs and course grades in the prerequisite courses is strongly recommended for your application to be as strong as possible.

As for the health care experience (HCE), it is not required by the program, but having it is strongly recommended.  I know that for application purposes at EVMS, they weigh your application and one of the very large weights is placed on your HCE hours.  I can't recall our class average off the top of my head but I believe it was higher than previous classes, maybe around ~5000?  If becoming a PA is your goal I would strongly recommend getting certified as a MA or maybe an EMT-B so that you're able to gain paid HCE. 

For me personally it took 4 years from the time I made the decision to follow my dreams of becoming a PA to actually being accepted.  I needed to take all of my prereqs, since it had been 10 years since I finished my undergrad, gain HCE, etc, so that I could make my application as strong as possible.  You're already ahead of the game with all of your prereqs completed!

I hope that was helpful and insightful, if not, send me a message and I could answer any other questions.  I check this forum about once per week.

All the best,

Steps

Thanks for replying Steps. 5,000 HCE hours is quite a daunting task for a former teacher. However, it seems that your hard work paid off as you're in the program now (that or a graduate). Your insight is really appreciated. I knew there had to be more to their minimum requirements listed on their website/catalog, especially since they're ranked so highly in regards to their PA program. I have to wonder though, would it be easier to get into their medical school than PA school? 

Archived