Botox/Fillers courses

Hello all,

I am currently working for a facial plastic surgeon and need to learn botox/filler injections. He has been teaching me and tells me he will teach me everything he knows, however, I feel like I need to take a certification course. Do any of you ever been to a botox//filler course that you would recommend?

Please advise

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you think you need the certification course? There is no true "certification" for injectables that means anything or is required. Studies on learning injectables demonstrate that the best way to learn is from a mentor over time, which you are already doing. Certification courses would be best used for people who do not have a mentor, or who want to learn something the mentor does not know. If you want to augment your skills with book knowledge, there are several good texts by Carruthers available on amazon. If you still want training, the reps from your injectable companies can arrange for on-label trainings. They can also assist in paying or fully pay for you to take a formal on and off label course, or you can pay for it yourself. You must go into these trainings with a specific skill in mind you are looking to develop, and a patient who needs this area treated to bring with you to practice on. The two big companies for this are Aesthetic Advancements and PALETTE. However, these are very expensive and relatively unnecessary given that you have a mentor. You can learn a lot more by going to a conference, such as the Aesthetic Extender Symposium (Boca Raton, FL on Halloween weekend) to watch live demos from the "masters" at injecting to see how they do things. The price of the whole conference including the hotel will likely be less than the formal course and you can learn a ton more. Best of luck.

Thank you bluerose84. Yes, I do have a mentor who is very busy. He has shown me few times and already expects me to know it by showing it to me once. I feel like I need more "hands on experience." I know most of these courses have models where I can practice on. There are so many, so I just wanted to know which are the best ones from others who have attended them.  Again, thanks so much for the info.

It sounds like he is not really a mentor after all then. Just to be clear, when you attend the trainings you have to supply your own patient. The on/off label courses, you have to supply your own product as well. Sometimes the reps will give you some as an incentive to train on theirs. Aesthetics is an art. Just like any art, it takes practice to get the outcome you were looking for. Don't expect to be good over night or after a patient or two. Every patient is different and should be treated as such. Take your time. Stay conservative because you can always add more (make sure the patient knows that is your approach so they aren't surprised when there is a second charge at the followup for this step-wise approach). Even the training courses are just a jumping off point, much like your "mentor" has given you. Practice is the only way to build confidence and skill. Good luck.

Thank you for your pointers. Yes, I am very conservative as I have done few already. Some courses I have looked at said that I have to bring my own supplies and some they provide. None of them mentioned bringing my own patient as they have models, but will look more closely into that. I have also contacted our rep who should really help in this matter. Again, thank you :)

I use Botox for a different reason (chronic migraine). I was taught through two courses sponsored by Allergan and then also through a mentor. Doesn't Allergan offer complimentary courses for someone like you?

Unfortunately, Allergan will only teach "on label" uses of cosmetic Botox - Glabella and crow's feet - and only at "on label" doses. Very little of this type of training is applicable to the way cosmetic treatments are actually done but this is all they can teach because the training can only be based on the clinical studies. It is a good place to start but certainly not going to get you very far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

It is so hard to get into aesthetics! I have taken 3 courses already but that’s not near enough experience to start practicing. I’ve tried applying everywhere from plastic,derm to medical spas and no one while hire without at least 3 years of experience! I’m stuck and spent enough money as it is. I’m a physician assistant so I can’t even buy products without a mentor. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do?