Sign in to follow this  

VA, local PD investigation?

Local VA made the news yesterday after a patient was transported via EMS to the facility recently, patient later allegedly walked out (details sketchy), and was later found deceased.  Individual had been reported to PD as a "critical missing" individual.  Interesting comment that I read was that local PD were investing the case and was looking at the facility.  First of all, how many folks have we seen leave an ED without saying they were going to do so (even as in this case he was reported as a critical missing, which I'm not sure the hospital would have necessarily been aware of), and second of all, what jurisdiction does local PD have over a federal facility?  I would assume none.

The patient went missing and turned up dead.

Makes it an unexplained death, requiring reporting and investigation.. Either by coroner or local police or both.

The police have jurisdiction in all homicide cases unless a higher agency ( FBI) takes over claiming federal priority.

They may want to be looking at the facility for ensuring patient safety.. Was patient sober and mentally competent? If not, the facility has an obligation to act in the patient's behalf.. Including restraining him from leaving if indicated. If the patient was competent, then he is able to leave without "permission" anytime he desires.. He assumes the consequences of his actions.

This is opposed to the local police asking the facility to retain the patient or to call them when treatment is completed so the police can pick him up... Most hospital's try to comply, but in fact the hospital is not a police agency and cannot restrain or hold up any patient whom they have discharged... We medics are not a surrogate police force.

So, I think the answer is, if the police are investigating the death, any facility in their "precinct " is subject to their investigation, federal or otherwise.

Like rcdavis said, unattended death requires investigation. That investigation will focus, in part, on the patient's last known location. In this case, that's a medical facility. Nothing unusual here, really. If local PD shouldn't investigate who should who knows the area? As far as jurisdiction goes, if they don't want to cooperate then a search warrant ends the issue.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By nakimtang
      Hi everyone, 
      Im a sophomore in college, about to be a junior. I started off in a CC. I’m currently taking a chemistry class that combines OCHEM, biological, and general chem. It is TOUGH! I’m wondering if i’ll make it to PA school. I’m volunteering at a hospital now but have not been going in the last couple of weeks due to having to be at work at 4 am and being completely exhausted after. I am feeling like I don’t have enough time to catch up on volunteering or shadowing. Does anyone have any tips for volunteering and finding someone to shadow? Stories of you also feeling this way? 
      Thanks all, 
      Sienna.
    • By alexEMTprePA
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By PANCEon
      I wish at 18, I would've chosen the pre-pa route and gotten an associate's degree in DMS or an echo cardiogram tech then continued to get certified in different specialties. I may have taken pre med courses as well. Became a CNA and worked in many different specialties, hospitals, hospice, nursing and rehab facilities for experience, money, connections, letters of recommendation, on the job training to get certified in imaging, phlebotomy, resp tech, occupational or physical therapy technicians, basic EMT 1-IV, ER tech, pharmacy tech, and become a American Red Cross CNA trainer or at least CPR, AED, BLS, first aid and phlebotomy instructor's. Setting up blood drives, charity events etc. Too many ideas to count. I know now that being a healthcare professional  is my calling. Some ppl can just play the piano, which I can't, but medicine/biology/anatomy, makes perfect sense. But, I'm 40 now, and my Psychology degree I got in 2001 afforded me sales positions from food broker territory manager, pharmaceutical sales, animal diagnostic laboratory sales manager. I worked from home and travelled all over. I liked being my own boss, and other's as well. I then became a seller and writer of mortgages. Now, I have been on disability for 10yrs and am ready to do what I was meant to. I just wish I was younger. That's why it's important for me to manage my time and not waste a minute doing something that isn't going to help me get in a program. 

• By chrissy88
      As a recently graduated student going into her gap year, I have a question for those who have been in my same situation. My undergrad GPA is below the normal average for an admitted student into a PA program. I am planning on enrolling in post-bacc classes in order to meet some pre-reqs for certain schools, and just to raise my GPA overall and hopefully show admissions committees that I have grown since my first couple years of college (the years that hurt my cGPA). But, how do you all do it? I am planning on being a CNA, but I can't work day shift due to classes that normally occur during daytime hours. I've thought about trying to get 12 hour shifts so I have a few days off during the week to sneak some classes in. I can work PMs or nights, but I'm worried about being too exhausted going straight from a night shift into classes the next day. Community colleges cater to working students by offering online and night classes which would be super helpful, but do many PA schools look down on community college coursework? I'm stressing out thinking about how this is all going to play out so any words of advice or personal stories would be super appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck with applications!!
    • By Brandon2397
      Hello everyone, I am currently in my third year as a biology undergraduate major at the City College of New York. I graduate next year and wanted to ask for opinions on whether or not I should apply to PA programs immediately after graduation. 
      At the moment I have a 3.91 GPA, straight As in my science courses, have shadowed one PA for a few hours, and have over 200 hours volunteering at an ENT hospital. However, my plan after graduation is to work as an EMT to gain credible health care experience to put on my application.
      In your opinions, are my current credentials sufficient enough for PA programs to consider me as a serious candidate? Or should I take a gap year to focus on obtaining more experience to put on my application? If so, any advice or recommendations? Any responses are much appreciated. Thanks! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More