MEDEX 2014-2015 applicants

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but I wanted to reach out to any current students at the Seattle campus. I am scheduled to interview on September 30, 2014 in Seattle and would like to meet up with a current student or two for coffee on the 29th, if possible. Please let me know if you are available and willing to chat with me a bit about the program and the interview process. Thanks in advance!

Received and e-mail today saying that I meet the " academic and clinical prerequisites for MEDEX Northwest. Your application has moved forward to our full faculty review process, which can take several weeks. You will receive another status update when the final review of your application is completed."

Looks to be about a 7 day turnaround from submission to if it's being forwarded for consideration of the interview. My application is for the Anchorage site so that may matter as well.

Did any of you read the bottom of the initial letter from MEDEX saying the prereqs will be changing? For next cycle of course.

PLEASE NOTE: MEDEX Northwest is in the final stages of approving changes to our prerequisites. Please watch the MEDEX website for any new information to be published in the coming weeks. Changes to prerequisites will be affect for the 2015/2016 application cycle. A formal announcement will be made on the MEDEX website on and will send an announcement by email and/or regular mail anyone we have in our system now.

They talked about this in an info session I attended. They said they will require specific science classes to fulfill the science prereqs such as microbiology, chemistry and a statistics etc. instead of the option of any three science class that are human related. They are trying to further standardize the application process. They also mention having actual standards on the GRE because there are none in place right now.

Is anyone applying from Pharm D to the MEDEX-PharmD/PA Program?                                                                                                                                                       

There is no difference other than what you mentioned for the Master Degree option. Same curriculum, degree etc. Just another location to train the best PAs in the world! Spokane is a dual training site so the total class size maybe the same as Seattle because they could teach the Bachelors PA students in the same classroom as the Master PA students, but I don't know that for sure.

Spokane is a cheaper city to live in and is much smaller so that is a consideration

Hi everyone! Thank you to the current students for all of your insight and advice. I know this is a tough one to answer, but would you say it's "too late" to apply at this point? My CASPA was verified months ago but I held off on applying to this program--now I wish I had! I know I still technically have until Oct 1, but I'm wondering if realistically my chances are shot due to waiting until after the initial sept 1 deadline. My GPA is mediocre but I have 10,000+ hours of patient care and other valuable experiences. Thanks for any insight! :)

@ktcan10 @ruralmed

I am only applying this cycle but I asked many questions at an information session about this topic. The MEDEX staff member who participates in both selecting candidates and interviewing them said that it is true that the earlier you turn in your applications the better off you are because they could select enough great people to interview early and give them class slots making every interview session have less slots left and maybe only a few by the January interview.  This is because they review the applications in the order they are received and they send out interview invites the same way.  He said this is truer for the Seattle Campus because they hold the most interviews and less common for the Anchorage campus because they have one interview session late in the interview cycle but that it’s unlikely that a candidate outside of Alaska would get a slot there. 

I would apply because you don’t know for sure what will happen. If this is the program you want to attend the only way in is to submit the application. There is a cost to consider but outside of that you never know. If you get an interview than you have a shot because they aren’t going to interview for slots they don’t have. Good luck. 

I would apply because you don’t know for sure what will happen. If this is the program you want to attend the only way in is to submit the application. There is a cost to consider but outside of that you never know. If you get an interview than you have a shot because they aren’t going to interview for slots they don’t have. Good luck. 

@MichiganPrePA - Go Blue! - Scoped makes a very good point, and if for whatever reason you do not get in this year, when you reapply the following year, you get an additional personal narrative to show them more of who you are and what you have done to improve yourself since your last application submission.  Futhermore, the cost that Scoped referred to (regardless of if he meant the CASPA application fee or the tuition for the program) is negligable in comparrison to the job satisfaction you would be blessed with for the rest of your life.  And the program cost itself could be far worse when compared to many other programs.

JSadley, where in Alaska do you live? Us Alaska applicants will have to try and get together the week of the interview. I'm anxious for November to get here to see If I get an interview.

I live and work in Wasilla. Most definitely, it would be awesome to meet up before an interview- should we be so lucky:). This is my second time applying, how about you? I'm patiently waiting for any communications from MEDEX. I'll be browsing the forum for updates and letting everyone know as soon as I hear anything. Good luck!!! Keep us posted...

This is my first time applying and I'm excited. I'm waiting to hear from MEDEX and am guessing it will be in the middle to end of November for an early December interview (hope I get it). My husband is anxious as well and has already scheduled leave in the event I get an interview so he can drive down to Anchorage. I think at times he is more anxious than me lol

Anybody interviewing for MEDEX Seattle on Sept 30th? I'll be at the hotel the night before if anyone wants to get together :)

Feel free to email directly waldmanrachel@gmail.com

May the odds be ever in your favor!

The last line is a perfect example of summer quarter.. It felt like the Hunger Games but without the killing of course :-)

Archived