MEDEX 2014-2015 applicants

Hi everyone, first time applicant here this year. I'm still doing the application. My transcripts should be in soon. I have this concern:

- CASPA narrative vs Personal Statement.

I've a diverse background of experiences and experienced road bumps in college, I've been drafting and it went on several pages. If any current wiling to aid an extra help with shed a light on this for my situation, please. Thanks.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys. I applied to medex this cycle. Really hoping to get in. I also got the email yesterday saying they had started reviewing applications. However, I also got an email from them two weeks ago saying I had passed the initial screening. A few says later they emailed me again and asked for my dd214 ( a military document). Hoping it's a good sign that they asked for additional documents. Anyone else have similar experiences or heard from them?

Prepare for some confusing emails, guys. Haha. I got an email last year inviting me to interview (cue hysterical jumping for joy) and then an email a day later reassuring me that they were still reviewing my application and would let me know if I was selected for an interview. System's never perfect, but they don't mess up the interviews, so hold tight!! I heard around this time last year, but every year is a little different. :-)

From what I can gather, they basically have you all on a mailing list that is pretty generic. 

If you have any doubts or fears that need soothing, they really are very good about checking on your application materials and making sure you've got everything squared away. I'm pretty sure I emailed about my supplemental, and I definitely did when I got invited to interview and them, um, un-invited a day later. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Things I know: you cannot self report scores after submitting your CASPA. If you have a previous masters degree, the gre doesn't matter. But I would call them.

Since I took my GRE a couple years ago when I wasn't planning on applying out of state, I did not include UW on the list of schools to send scores to. So what do I need to do in order to get official scores to UW?

I am a first time applicant to this program as well, living in New Mexico currently. I'm kind of nervous to be applying out of state, so I'd love to meet up with some of you before the interview as well. Does anyone know which month they do the interviews?

That's funny, I'm living in Albuquerque currently.  I applied to MEDEX last year, received an interview, but was not selected.  The notification for an interview came on September 5th last year I believe, and the interview was at the end of September, (the 24th I think).  The interviews continue to December.  

I agree it is nerve wracking to apply as an out of State student because the odds are more against you.  My thoughts are you can use your state of residence to your advantage though, as it is something that makes you unique. 

I'd love to meet up and chat about the interview process if we are both selected, I'm guessing there are not a whole lot of New Mexico applicants for MEDEX. :)

Right now, we are in the summer session, which is the end of the online anatomy and physiology class (an emphasis on physiology) and basic clinical science, which is an overview of biochemistry, cellular chemistry, cellular biology, etc. We are in class almost every Monday-Friday 9 AM to 4-ish PM. Sometimes we have the afternoon off, or its optional, most times not. 

In the fall, we will be starting at 8:30 and going to about the same time, and our class load will increase to about 4 classes at a time. 

Good question to fakingpatience...if you guys are up here, I recommend meeting up before interviews, etc. I met up with three other guys off of here the day before our interview, and it was enormously helpful. Three of us got in! MEDEX really values teamwork and communication, as evidenced by their interview style (small group). 

Let me know if you have other questions! 

It's great to hear from a student who is currently in the MEDEX program.  I have a question for you: is there any subject area that you find more difficult than others?  I'd imagine it depends significantly upon what type of pre-requisite courses you've completed.  Also, how was the online A&P course; I've heard it's pretty rigorous? 

It's definitely hard for me to completely answer that question right now since we have just started. I would say conservatively that your guess is probably right on the types and levels of prerequisites you've completed, as well as your relevant patient care hours (i.e., the registered dieticians in my class might have less trouble with, say, diabetes management than the physical therapists).

The online A&P is very fast-paced, but extremely doable. You will put a fair amount of energy into it, and it's a lot of knowledge that you feel like you don't have a ton of time to process, but you'll make it. I would reflect on how much time it's been since you completed your original A&P classes. Mine were very recent, so I felt like I might have had an easier time than some of my classmates who commented on a higher learning curve because many years had passed since they last studied A&P.

Do let me know if you have any other questions. I know how many of mine went unanswered or unclarified when I was in the application process, and I would love to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello folks,

I have applied this cycle and was curious about your interview experience. Did the interviewers ask you anything about you personally or did they just ask you sceneros and have you respond? Example: If a drug rep came to your office and knew you had hypertension and offered to give you extra samples for you personally how would you handle this?

Checking the forum for the first time in months... Seattle class 48 here... Just wanted to poke my head in and say hello!

These threads were a serious lifeline this time last year... I'm surprised how quiet they are this year.

Good luck and don't be afraid to collaborate and ask questions here!!! The night before our interview, myself and 3 others from this site got together for coffee... 3 of us are now classmates and friends (the 4th got in @ penn state)... I share this because that spirit of collaboration is something that (I believe) helped us stand out and will undoubtably be instrumental in getting through the program!

Pipe up folks - and share the love!

Cheers!

I've been waiting and watching to say anything until interview invites go out. :) And according to this forum last year, it sounded like invites started going out this week last year for Seattle. And it sounds like no one has received one yet. If I get an interview, I will be all over meeting up! Anxiously awaiting!! :)

I can't speak for the other current class members, but I know that some of the Tacoma guys got together a little group of nervous applicants and current students to soothe some nerves before the interviews. 

If anybody is interested in this when the interview invites go out, and we can make it work with our schedules, I'm totally down. 

Hello all,

I've been checking out this forum since last application cycle. I applied this year, primary site Spokane. I submitted all my docs and both the CASPA and the supplemental application before the SEP 1st deadline. I've received one email after submitting my DD214 stating, "we will be getting back to you very shortly", checking my email multiple times a day at this point. So I'm also in the waiting game. As you all have said this is the worst part. Anyone get selected for the spokane class last year? If so, I'm curious as to what month they did the interviews for that. If I get selected for an interview I also would love to meet up the night before for coffee to calm the nerves.

Best of luck to everyone.

Cheers

Archived