Admissions/Interviews for class of 2017

jnole,

I applied to PCOM as well -  but LIU is my #1 choice which is why I'm going there.

This is just my opinion, and I'm interested to hear what others have to say as well, but PCOM is Osteopathic Medicine, so people pursuing a medical degree there will receive a DO as opposed to an MD.  Therefore, I would say if you have a passion for primary care, PCOM is the way to go.  Being osteopathic (to my understanding) the focus is on primary care, preventative care, etc.  If you look at their clinical rotations, they also only had one elective, where as other schools, like LIU, had two electives (one medical and one surgical,)

I am still unsure in that field I want to practice in as a PA - however, there are so many other reasons why I am so excited about attending LIU in the fall.

1. Starting your clinical experience as early as 4 weeks into  school - your professors have you complete hands on, clinical tasks, simple "procedures" (venipuncture, etc) so that by the time you are starting your clinical year, you will have done a lot of the things you will be asked to do.  This gives you such an advantage because you will have already served as a health care provider during your didactic year, and when your preceptor asks you to place an IV or perform an ABG, you won't give him/her a blank stare because you will have done it already! Your preceptor will acknowledge and recognize this experience, and you'll frankly probably be able to do a lot more -rather than another PA student who might enter their clinical year without having seen, let alone have done any of these procedures.

I spoke with an LIU PA student in her second year who has completed about 4 of her rotations - she has 4 jobs offers already!

2. They have cadavers! Reserved for the PA students alone.  I don't know about you, but when I'm studying anatomy, I want to learn on an actual human body, which not all PA programs offer, and, for some PA programs that are affiliated with a Medical school, you are sharing time and the cadavers with med students.

3. Most of the professors are practicing PAs. Not to say that having a PA who is not practicing for a professor is by any means less qualified to teach me, but knowing my professors are in the healthcare world, working as PAs I think makes them great resources. We could be learning about a disease or procedure that they themselves had just treated or performed that same week. 

4. I think there is a two month period, after you have finished all of your rotations and exams that is solely dedicated to preparing for PANCE. 

There are probably a few other reasons why LIU is my number 1 as well, but I feel I've written more than enough for one post in this forum.  Sorry for the novel response!

Good luck to everyone!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Congrats to those that have been accepted! Has anyone not heard back since applying? I submitted my CASPA sometime in September and have been calling the school at least once a month since then. I haven't heard anything back at all since submitting my CASPA. Every time I call they tell me that my application is still under review :( I called yesterday and they said the same thing. They also told me they are still interviewing. Has anyone interviewed this month or heard back recently about an upcoming interview?

• 1 year later...

Hey Shayp I received the same email today. However I would be class of 2018, does anyone know of this is a acceptance or just a general email ?

A decision has been made on your application. Please look out for your correspondence in the mail, as it has important information regarding your admission status.

If for whatever reason you do not receive your letter in the next seven business days, please contact the Office of Admissions by replying to this email.

Thank you,

-Office of Admissions

They included a liu Id number at the top of the email

Hey Shayp I received the same email today. However I would be class of 2018, does anyone know of this is a acceptance or just a general email ?

A decision has been made on your application. Please look out for your correspondence in the mail, as it has important information regarding your admission status.

If for whatever reason you do not receive your letter in the next seven business days, please contact the Office of Admissions by replying to this email.

Thank you,

-Office of Admissions

I also received this message today. It was the same exact format. Hopefully it's good news

Thank you,

-Office of Admissions

I received the same e-mail, but haven't even had an interview. I'm assuming it's just a fluke.

Archived