• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

For current students:

Are cardiothoracic or pediatric oncology options for clinical rotations?

Also, does anyone know how many are interviewed?

It says they are accepting up to 60 students this year.

Yes! You get two electives and can use your final preceptorship as an elective. We have had people in cardiothoracic surgery rotations. I know we've had people do oncology rotations, not sure about pediatrics. But just let them know what you are interested in and let them know if you have connections to get those rotations you want. 

BTW, I just graduated ℅ 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have an inside track on 'what kind' of student NOVA is looking for? I just got rejected from NOVA JAX and I am waiting to hear back from the other NOVA schools. However, I have three interviews out of state to WAY more prestigious and established schools, but I want to stay in FL. just kind of ironic that more competitive programs are willing to interview me and NOVA flat out rejected me without any inquired explanation.

You intimidated them with your grandeur? Don't know.

Not as competitive? You would have a hard time quantifying that.  Nova Jax had over 1000 applications for 55 seats last year and this year is predicted to be higher. There are more prestigious schools out there...yes..but all PA programs are competitive and are drawing from the same general pool of applicants. What you are describing is not ironic at all...it is just the way it is. To think that you should have an automatic shot at any school because you had invitations elsewhere is hubris.

By happy that you have interviews at all and do well in them.  Good luck.

Yeah. What Will352ns said.

For the class of 2016, there were over 1200 applications for 56 seats at Nova Jax. Applications look to be on pace to exceed that for this app cycle. Things are tough all over. I was interviewed at some great places, some were better fits for me than others. I got in at multiple schools, and chose this one.

I was outright rejected by a couple of programs and still have no idea why. I have some awesome classmates here that didn't get into this school during their first app cycle, and still don't know why. But they're here now, and they're going to be great PAs.

Judging by your other posts, I think you put too much faith in the "rankings and reputations" articles on the internet, and that's a questionable tactic. Ask around, you'll find that outside the "top 5" schools, there's not much "reputation" difference in the market. (Though for the record, Nova Jax students do pretty darn well competing against, and beating, those "more prestigious and established" schools on the national level at AAPA events.)

In one post, you refer to a specific school as "mediocre," despite the fact they saw fit to grant you an interview. Might be interesting if someone at that school's PA admissions office read your comment and noticed what day you're set to interview.  Did I mention that a lot of admissions professionals read this forum? Because yeah, they do.

What are schools looking for? I still don't know, but I'm pretty sure "applicants who think they're better than the program" is nowhere on the must-haves.

FYI: At the interview, they said that they have already had over 1600 applications submitted at this point. 

I hope everyones interview on October 30th went well! The faculty was all so welcoming! Still waiting to hear back...getting anxious and excited...

Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews :) 

I interviewed in the afternoon. It was a very welcoming campus. I was very confident going into the individual interview from the other exercises, but I don't feel the indiv went well. I'm thinking I'll prob get wait listed.

Good luck!

FYI: At the interview, they said that they have already had over 1600 applications submitted at this point. 

I interviewed in the afternoon. It was a very welcoming campus. I was very confident going into the individual interview from the other exercises, but I don't feel the indiv went well. I'm thinking I'll prob get wait listed.

Good luck!

Well I'm sure you did far better in the individual interview than you are thinking you did! Sometimes that happens. I guess time will tell. At my interview we were told the latest we would hear back is December 1st....but I'm hoping it is a lot sooner than that :) good luck to you too!

Hey guys! The group activity exercises...is that more or less a group interview?

Each Nova does interviews a little different from one another. If you are looking for advice or insight on the interview I would tell you a few things. Be there on time dressed like a professional (as thats what you're trying to become) with a smile on your face. Be honest with yourself and everyone when asked questions. No book or person can prepare you to answer questions about your personal journey. Speaking to individuals with a previous interview will give you no special knowledge or upper hand. Just be yourself and speak from your heart!

Good luck!

Kinda dreading tomorrow. Cuz we know if there's no phone call it's a wait list or a denial and then there's a longer wait to get the status in the mail. 

Dreading tomorrow as in their calling those who got accepted? I thought they said it would take 2-3 weeks to hear back.

Archived