PA-Owned Practice in Maryland

I'm seeking advice from PA's who actually own their own practice or know PA's that do.

I am interested in owning and establishing my own practice as a Physician Assistant.

To tell you a little about myself, I have been a PA since 2005 and have worked in Pediatric Medicine, Adult General/ Primary Care Medicine and Pediatric Emergency Medicine. I hold licenses in Florida, Maryland and Washington DC, now pending my Virginia license. I wish to own my pracitce in the MD/DC/VA region and am currently looking into the the laws and regulations in each state for this endeavor. I do have a few questions to ask you regarding how you established your practice:

1. What were the preliminary steps you took before actually opening your practice? (besides researching the laws/regulations)

2. Did you open as sole practitioner or in a partnership with several other practioners? (other than the supervising MD you hired). Would you recommend

3. What resources should I look into regarding establishing my medical practice?

4. I plan to buy an established medical practice? Did you build your practice from scratch or did you buy a medical practice? Which approach do you recommend?

5. What were the greatest challenges / pitfalls you came across since establishing your practice?

6. How did you go about choosing and hiring your supervising physician? Did you know him or her previously or hire someone new?

7. Did you find it difficult to acquire new patients who may be hesitant about being seen primarily by a PA instead of an MD?

8. What was your approach to expanding your practice

9. What advice do you have for me regarding what I need to know before opening a pracitce

I know those are more than a few questions but I believe I could get the best advice from someone who is actually doing what I will one day establish as well.

I'm seeking advice from PA's who actually own their own practice or know PA's that do.

I am interested in owning and establishing my own practice as a Physician Assistant.

To tell you a little about myself, I have been a PA since 2005 and have worked in Pediatric Medicine, Adult General/ Primary Care Medicine and Pediatric Emergency Medicine. I hold licenses in Florida, Maryland and Washington DC, now pending my Virginia license. I wish to own my pracitce in the MD/DC/VA region and am currently looking into the the laws and regulations in each state for this endeavor. I do have a few questions to ask you regarding how you established your practice:

1. What were the preliminary steps you took before actually opening your practice? (besides researching the laws/regulations)

2. Did you open as sole practitioner or in a partnership with several other practioners? (other than the supervising MD you hired). Would you recommend

3. What resources should I look into regarding establishing my medical practice?

4. I plan to buy an established medical practice? Did you build your practice from scratch or did you buy a medical practice? Which approach do you recommend?

5. What were the greatest challenges / pitfalls you came across since establishing your practice?

6. How did you go about choosing and hiring your supervising physician? Did you know him or her previously or hire someone new?

7. Did you find it difficult to acquire new patients who may be hesitant about being seen primarily by a PA instead of an MD?

8. What was your approach to expanding your practice

9. What advice do you have for me regarding what I need to know before opening a pracitce

I know those are more than a few questions but I believe I could get the best advice from someone who is actually doing what I will one day establish as well.

Too many questions for me to answer in one sitting. I'm about 75 days away from opening my doors. Took me 4-5 years to find my SP. I knew him for years. He was my major competitor and I met with him within a couple of weeks of his semi-retirement. It has taken 8 months to get to the point I'm at. Because you will be the PA owner, you will have resistance the entire way. Don't own more than 99% or you can't do business with federal payers. If you need a loan, it will be difficult because you are a PA-owner. And, I will take a stab at one more, I'm starting mine from scratch. There are also multiple vicious cycles that will drive you insane. Can't get state approval with an establish clinic, can't establish a clinic without state approval, can't get an SBA loan unless you have the physical space, can't get the physical space without the $$$. The whole thing is run by the mad hatter.

• 1 month later...

Hi, first post here. I signed up to the forum because I am also interested in starting my own solo medical practice in NC -- like now!

I practice integrative internal medicine. I envision a cash only practice, and I have opted out of Medicare/medicaid. I envision a purely digital practice, from appts and payment to EHR.

Any NC PA's known to have done this?

I am suprised to read that some states don't allow it. Guess I have to find out where I stand in NC. Anyone know?

The next biggest hoop will be getting a SP. Anyone know how to figure reimbursing one?

I envision only having 16-20 pts a week and working 3 weeks out of 4, so it wouldn't be a heavy load to supervise/sign dictations. That should be less than an hour a week --max of actual work. I was thinking 10% of gross for that level of involvement. What do you think?

thanks --

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Nyerie,

I am currently in my second year of PA school at the Medical University of South Carolina and looking to move up to the VA/DC/MD area. I saw your post and wanted to see where you were in the process of starting your own practice and how it is going. I also wanted to ask if you happened to have any advice for me regarding moving to that area and finding employment? I have an elective rotation this July that I am trying to fill with a rotation in DC but Im having difficulty finding a preceptor. I would greatly appreciate any advice you might have for me. Hope you are enjoying the PA Profession!

TSI PA-S

Nyerie,

I am currently in my second year of PA school at the Medical University of South Carolina and looking to move up to the VA/DC/MD area. I saw your post and wanted to see where you were in the process of starting your own practice and how it is going. I also wanted to ask if you happened to have any advice for me regarding moving to that area and finding employment? I have an elective rotation this July that I am trying to fill with a rotation in DC but Im having difficulty finding a preceptor. I would greatly appreciate any advice you might have for me. Hope you are enjoying the PA Profession!

TSI PA-S

• 7 months later...

Hi Everyone!

I know it has been a while since I last posted on this thread. Just to let you know, I did open my clinic, Eze Family Health Center in November of 2011. It has been a rough start but we have opened our doors and have been running ever since! Check out our website, www.EzeWellness.com . We offer other specialty services beyond just Primary Care , we also do Medical Weight Loss and Holistic Health Services (for patients who prefer a "non-pharmaceutical" approach to their health care and health maintenance).

We have over 150 patients that we have established since opening. It is a slow start as we began the practice literally from scratch without an established patient base that transferred to us. This is the more difficult way of building a practice, so I would strongly suggest having an established base of patients prior to opening your doors.

So far, no regrets but many lessons learned. If anyone has questions, I'm glad to answer!

Congratulations on opening your practice. Not to turn this thread into another "medical school" thread, but to me it seems a bit deceptive to refer to yourself as a "medical practitioner" who was trained at PCOM. This really seems to imply that you are a physician.

oh god now people are saying 'medical practitioner' is a doctor toooo

give me a break

we ARE medical practitioners!!!!!!!!!!! always have been, always will be

I see NO issue with that wording....

• 3 months later...

I am also interested in starting my own practice in NC, but I have so many questions. I am thinking a holistic approach. Can NC PA's own a practice 100%? if i opt out of medicare for my practice can I work somewhere part time where they file medicare? Is it best to be a PC/PA/PLLC? where do I find all the rules and regulations for owning my own practice, what type of attorney or accountant do I need.

Help

Advice please

Hi, first post here. I signed up to the forum because I am also interested in starting my own solo medical practice in NC -- like now!

I practice integrative internal medicine. I envision a cash only practice, and I have opted out of Medicare/medicaid. I envision a purely digital practice, from appts and payment to EHR.

Any NC PA's known to have done this?

I am suprised to read that some states don't allow it. Guess I have to find out where I stand in NC. Anyone know?

The next biggest hoop will be getting a SP. Anyone know how to figure reimbursing one?

I envision only having 16-20 pts a week and working 3 weeks out of 4, so it wouldn't be a heavy load to supervise/sign dictations. That should be less than an hour a week --max of actual work. I was thinking 10% of gross for that level of involvement. What do you think?

thanks --

Archived