2014-2015 Cycle

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

I'm a first year at UAB and I wanted to mention a few things:

1. There are many people in our program who didn't get in until their second attempt. So if you really want to attend UAB, don't give up! 

2. When I interviewed last year I really think they liked me talking about things that weren't in my application. If there is something that you've done that maybe you left out of your application like working at Burger King while going to college, use that and spin it! It shows character, personality and a little bit of humbleness when you can take something that may not be "standard" and make it your own. 

3. If you check "McGilvray PA at UAB" on youtube you should find an interview of one of the faculty members. I interviewed with her and she asked me the same questions she's answering. 

4. They are not "moving to primary care", there is still a VERY strong surgical component in this program. if you compare the curriculum to other programs you will find that UAB not only has surgical rotations and elective rotations (which you can choose surgery) but also has more surgical classes than most other programs.

5. If you are coming from out of state, check the "Academic Common Market". UAB has it set up where if you live in a southern state within the southern board of education you qualify for in state tuition. I came from Texas and I'm not paying any more than what residents in Alabama are paying!

6. Before you interview read up on current healthcare news, it might help in the writing prompt. 

8. Other questions I was asked: "What would you bring to the classroom?", "What would you do if you didn't know the answer to something?", "What are 2 difficult issues the PA profession is facing?", "Why should we choose you over someone else?" and "Why did you choose UAB?". 

9. Don't say "I want to help people", if you want to be in trauma because you want to be elbow deep in someones thorax, tell them that! 

10. I interviewed at a few places and I seriously chose UAB because the faculty was so warm and down to earth. Make your conversations interesting! I know that's easier said than done, but trust me when I tell you they know everything on your application so if you just ramble off what's already in front of them you are doing a disservice to yourself. 

11. I took off a year after college to work for my dads pest control company. You better believe I left it off of my application because I didn't think it was "medically" relevant. The VERY first question I was asked in my UAB interview "I saw you took a year off after you graduated. What did you do during this time?". I responded without thinking "I worked in pest control", I could have just DIED after I said that but evidently the faculty member really liked it and kept asking me questions about it. At the end of the interview she shook my hand and said "I think you would make a great asset to this program". 

12. If you interview with Maday, the man is a genius. I don't have any advice because I still can't look the man in the eye......

Just thinking about this time last year has my stomach in knots. I seriously want to help all of you who have questions so please don't hesitate in messaging me!

I interviewed with Maday! He was very hard to read but I enjoyed interviewing with him. The faculty made me feel incredibly comfortable. 

When I interviewed I believed they said that they begin reviewing applicants starting today (11-13). Meaning we would most likely hear back Friday or next week? I'm not positive though. What does everyone else think?

Yes, I believe so. It'll probably be a week from today, possibly tomorrow. Best we can do is just be patient and to not stress ourselves out by thinking about it :)

At this point, I almost wish they didn't give us a set time frame!!! I'm checking my email way too much haha. Does anyone know for sure whether they will call or email us? Good luck you guys!

Dr. Kilgore said some of the faculty like to place phone calls. So I think either call or email. I think he also mentioned letters in the mail. Either way is fine with me! I'm trying to keep my mind off it, but it's so hard.

Archived