2014-2015 Cycle

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's awesome! I so want an invite there. For those who got one... when did you submit everything and get confirmation by

My timeline:

7-10-14   Submitted CASPA

7-14-14   CASPA verified

7-15-14   Received email from UAB confirming they had received my CASPA

8-27-14   Received email from UAB confirming receipt of my supplemental (I don't remember exactly when I sent it in...Maybe 7 - 10 days prior?)

9-30-14   Received email with interview invitation for 10-31-14

I hope this helps! =)

Also, to anyone who has not received an interview invitation yet, don't let this discourage you...I know for sure that they do at least 3 rounds of interviews (or at least they have in the past) Keep your head up...Hope is still very much alive! Good luck to all!

Just thought I'd share my experience, for anyone who's interviewing/hoping to interview:

For some background, my stats back then were something like 3.5 overall GPA (science GPA is pretty close to that too), ~1500 HCE hours as an EMT on an ambulance, ~100 volunteer experience hours as an office assistant in a free medical clinic, ~25 research hours, and something like ~30 hours of shadowing a PA.

I applied to UAB last cycle, and it was the only program I recieved an interview invite to. We started off all seated in a classroom, they did an intro and then showed a powerpoint with info on the program/school/PA profession (a little redundant since I would think all of us that were present knew most of the info, but hey). After that we were given a piece of paper with a writing prompt, and had 30 minutes (I believe it was 30- might have been longer), to write a response. After that we were broken up into three groups, and in a random order we would do our interviews, have a short tour of the facilities, and do a group activity. For my group we did our group activity first- we sat at a conference table and worked together to solve an issue that the proctor gave us, who then silently watched/listened as we attempted to come to a consensus on our issue. After this group activity I had two one-on-one interviews with faculty members. One interview was very casual, he asked me to tell him about myself, what I like to do in my free time, why I wanted to go to UAB specifically, and why I want to be a PA. The second interview was also pretty casual, but I was asked the same question twice- as if my answer wasn't good enough-- which made me feel self-conscious for the rest of that interview. After that my group was given a brief tour with a current PA student, and she took our questions.

Hope this helps someone, and good luck!

My timeline:

Open House Aug 5th

E-Submitted Caspa Aug 28th

Supplemental mailed Aug 30th

Caspa verified Sept 16th

Interview invite Sept 30th for Oct 30th AM session

Does anyone know the total volume of applicants they had, and of the total volume how many they will interview? Because I could've sworn at open house they said they would have the class picked by early Nov...but I could be completely off???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have probably called to ask why they didn't pick me, but I didn't. I sent thank you notes to both interviewers and then a few weeks later (I think, it could have been longer) found out I didn't get in. I just don't think I interviewed well in the way that I was not able to talk myself up.. I was flustered by my second interview-- he asked me twice if I worked with any PAs, to which I answered honestly, that no I did not but I had done a decent amount of shadowing (it's not like I don't know what I'm getting into, but maybe he got a different read on me).. I can't control that PA's don't work on ambulances. I was also thrown off by another one of his questions.. I told him I was waiting to find out if I was going to be starting a new position in an ER as a trauma technician, and he asked if I still would go to PA school if I got the job. I thought it was obvious that the only reason I wanted that job was to earn experience to prepare me for PA school. Like I said, I was frustrated and put off by the last interview.. that's what I'd attribute to not getting in, but who knows.

And I believe I interviewed in November, before Thanksgiving.

That's great @CastQueen....are you from a few Ortho background? I'll be coming from Tennessee! Look forward to meeting everyone who has Oct 30th interviews. And, when I went to open house they shared that they planned on getting the class selected fairly quickly...like by mid or end of November. So I'm sure it will be a quick interview process...a few rounds past Oct

That's great @CastQueen....are you from a few Ortho background? I'll be coming from Tennessee! Look forward to meeting everyone who has Oct 30th interviews. And, when I went to open house they shared that they planned on getting the class selected fairly quickly...like by mid or end of November. So I'm sure it will be a quick interview process...a few rounds past Oct

Wow that will be quick I thought we'd have to wait longer since we will be the first group.

Im in the morning session on the 30th and yes Im coming from an ortho background.

Archived