2014-2015 Cycle

I am interviewing with the AM group on 10/30. I'm traveling from Texas (DFW area).

Timeline:

25-Aug - esubmitted CASPA, mailed supplemental(s) around same date (I wanted to finish some summer coursework that would continue to raise my undergrad/post-baccalaureate GPA)

4-Sep - CASPA verified

4-Sep - UAB confirmed receipt of CASPA (& supplemental) & meeting min reqs, however one recommendation missing

11-Sep - UAB confirmed appl in review

1-Oct - received invite to interview AM of 10/30

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All!!!! I am currently attending the UAB PA program! Congratulations to all who have received an invite for an interview. Those who have not received anything yet do not be discouraged. I did not receive my invite until the week before the interview. I had been discouraged because everyone else had been receiving their invites at least a month before hand.

@Krystlee Thank you sooo much for posting in our forum. I had a few questions before I interviewed (some of which I'm sure will be addressed at the interview), and was wondering if you would be able to offer some perspective to others here on the forum. Can you give us an idea on the interview processes (like what the day will be like)? I understand that there are two interviews: an academic, and clinical interview. Do you recall how long each interview was? Were they shorter or longer in duration?

Do you think as a UAB PA student currently in the program that during the clinical portion of PA school you and other PA students get the full benefit of being taught, or because of UAB's reputation of being a major medical hub are there a lot of residents, med students, and other students that detract from the clinical education? Last question, what kind of PA students do the faculty and current PA students (yourself included) want as classmates? I'm sure they want a diverse group like most schools, but what do you find beneficial/interesting from your classmates? What could future underclassmen bring that would be beneficial to the program? 

Sorry its a lot of question, but I just had to ask :)

Hi, all! I am also a current UAB PA student (I'm in Krystle's class). MEDwar44, I will try to answer some of your questions!

I interviewed in the afternoon session, so the first thing we did when I arrived was eat lunch. This time gave me the opportunity to get to know the other prospective students and meet a few faculty and current students. By the time lunch was over, I was feeling much less nervous about the day ahead. Then, the faculty were introduced and Dr. Kilgore, the director of our program, gave a presentation on the history of the program and the profession. He also gave some information about what to expect should you be admitted and choose to attend UAB. We then did a short writing session. You are given a prompt and you have 20-30 minutes (I think) to write about it. I was given a medically related topic, but the answer was based primarily on opinion. They told us that they mostly just want to see your writing ability and ability to form and express a comprehensive argument. I found it to be fairly simple and believe I only wrote a couple of paragraphs. Then, you are broken into groups. 2 current students took us around the building and showed us where some of our classes would be, etc. We then began the interviews. You interview individually with 2 different faculty members (I have heard this may be different this year, so I can't guarantee that what I say will be true for you all). Both of my interviews were very casual and I was not asked a question that I could not answer (or one that really even required preparation). I believe the interviews were 15 minutes each. Some faculty members may ask more difficult questions, though. I can only speak from my own experience. After the interviews, we did a group activity. Basically, you are given a scenario/case and asked to discuss it as a group. A faculty member is watching just to see how you interact with your group members. I believe that is everything that we did. Overall, I found the interview process to be much more laid back and enjoyable than I had anticipated. 

Obviously, we have not yet begun our clinical rotations. I know that there are a lot of medical students, etc. that you may have to interact with in clinical rotations at UAB. I think the key is just to not let them walk all over you and make sure that you show a willingness to learn. I have not heard of any 2nd or 3rd year students having an issue with this, though. Everybody that I have talked to seems to have enjoyed their rotations. Also, not all of your rotations will be at UAB. You will likely have some rotations at other hospitals, where there may be less medical students to compete with. 

As for who I would like to have as classmates, I'm honestly not sure that I have a good answer for you. There are a wide variety of people in our class. Some are straight out of undergrad (myself included) and some have been working in the medical field for 15+ years. Everybody has their own strengths and it is interesting to learn from one another. I feel like we really are a community, not in competition with one another. 

As for kenzanne's question, my clinical interview was primarily about what clinical experience I had. Do not stress if you do not have a lot of patient care experience (I did not), just tell them about the experiences that you do have. Try to think about how those experiences have shaped your desire to become a PA. They also want you to demonstrate that you have an understanding of a PA's role. I believe she also asked me about hobbies in my clinical interview.

I know I just threw a lot of disjointed information at all of you, but I hope it helps some. Really though, don't stress about the interview process. Just do your best. You are all interviewing for a reason. Sorry to steal your thunder, Krystle! I am sure Krystle can give y'all some great advice, also. 

Also, if you haven't heard yet about an interview yet, do not worry. Last year, I believe there were three rounds of interviews, with 2 days in each round and 2 sessions on each day. It sounds like people have only been notified for the first round of interviews. There will likely be more emails coming soon. Best of luck to you all! 

Do you think as a UAB PA student currently in the program that during the clinical portion of PA school you and other PA students get the full benefit of being taught, or because of UAB's reputation of being a major medical hub are there a lot of residents, med students, and other students that detract from the clinical education?

Most of your rotations will be done at outside hospitals.  It is entirely possible, and probably increasingly more likely that none of your rotations will be at UAB-main.  With exception of two cores (ER and psych), I believe the rest of the rotations at UAB are electives.  I've done two rotations at UAB and we are treated EXACTLY like medical students and are expected to fight for skills like the rest of them.   

http://www.uab.edu/shp/cds/physician-assistant/418-clinical-education-sites

@ Jtameler5441 that is awesome! Congrats!!! Where will you be coming from? 

@Parnemt thank you so much for sharing. I just wanted to make sure that the rotations that were at UAB like ER and psych granted us equal opportunity with students from other departments/colleges. So out of the rotations as a UAB PA student which has been your favorite so far (anything catching your eye)? Also it is my understanding that they are changing the set up for clinicals in the sense that they offer tracks now (like primary care track or trauma track). Do you know what fellow classmates perceptions are to this relatively new set up for clinicals? Last question, if you could give any advice to anyone wanting to choose UAB as their PA program what would you tell them? Thanks again for your time! 

As far as favorite rotations, I think it's mostly personal preference.  This is a little ways off for you but one thing to keep in mind is that every rotation is a job interview.  The medical community is extremely close knit...everybody knows or knows of everybody. 

As far as the clinical tracks, it is my understanding that if you don't want to follow a track, you don't have to.  Don't hold me to that but it is my understanding that the past class had an "others" section where you fill in your top electives. 

As far what to tell them...

Convey that you are professional, mature, hard working, and willing to learn from others (trainable).  Know the role of a PA, some stuff that they can/can't do in Alabama (i.e. can they prescribe schedule drugs?) wouldn't hurt either.  Know why you want to be a PA rather than another healthcare professional. 

Hey everybody! I'm a 1st year, and I just wanted to let y'all know that I'm available to answer any questions regarding the interview process. The word is starting to buzz around campus about interviews coming up, and we are all just as excited as you are! Don't worry if you aren't receiving emails when everyone else is, I know several people who received their invitations just a few days before their interview, while others were emailed weeks in advance.  Good luck to all of you, I know this is an anxious time so send any questions my way!

Hey everybody! I'm a 1st year, and I just wanted to let y'all know that I'm available to answer any questions regarding the interview process. The word is starting to buzz around campus about interviews coming up, and we are all just as excited as you are! Don't worry if you aren't receiving emails when everyone else is, I know several people who received their invitations just a few days before their interview, while others were emailed weeks in advance.  Good luck to all of you, I know this is an anxious time so send any questions my way!

Thanks for chiming in - appreciate the input.  Just curious - the schedule says "individual interview" - which I would assume means one applicant.  The question is are we interviewing with one member of the faculty or a small group of faculty / students?

Thanks!

It is my understanding that the interview is broken down into segments. We all have a writing exercise to participate in which usually takes (from what I've heard) 30 minutes. Then we have a group discussion portion in which a moderator listens as we discuss amongst the group our feelings and thoughts toward an issue. Then we have two interviews: one academic and one clinical. Each of them will be with one faculty member so it's a one on one interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, what Remington described is how it was last year. So, there are two one-on-one interviews, each one with a different faculty member. Something I heard before my interview that helped to calm me down: "If it ends up being more like a conversation and less like an interview, that means it went well." Just try to relax and remember that they KNOW you're smart and qualified, they just need to see the personality that goes along with the paperwork they have. The one-on-ones lasted about 10 or 15 minutes, not long at all.

Archived