2014-2015 Cycle

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I will throw a little nugget of information out here on the forum.....

I went to the information session they held on Aug 5th. I will start by saying there were potential applicants from all over the country (one girl drove from Cleveland, OH and one guy drove from Upper East, TN) just for the information session. From what the faculty explained during the information session they are looking to do interviews the last week of October and first week of November (for those of you who are anxiously anticipating if you will get a phone call, txt, or email).

The program director Mr. Kilgore said that as of Aug 5th they had 706 applicants to the program. Additionally, he mentioned that projected growth of the program over the next 4 years is to add 12 students more per each matriculating class. Therefore, the projected class of 2018 would have around 120 students (this is to meet the growing demand in primary care needs across the state of alabama and other underserved areas). Something to note: UAB is changing their program to meet the growing needs of healthcare nation wide as well as adapt to the affordable care act. Their program will still remain committed to have surgically based courses in the didactic year, BUT the surgical clinical rotations WILL BE CHANGING! As there is nationally a bigger push for primary care.... the program will mimic and emphasize primary care more. So elective rotations won't be as surgically focused and more broadly centered on primary and critical care.

One more thing I will mention.... the admission faculty talked about how the program doesn't require HCE, but that it is strongly discouraged if applicants haven't at least accumulated 1000+ direct patient contact hours. The admission director strongly pointed to the fact that the profession was founded on the idea that corpsman and other health care professionals seeking to expand their knowledge, experience, and skills could attain that through a fast track curriculum, PA school. With UAB being the second oldest program in the nation they are committed to serving the mission and values that have long been standing since the profession began dating back to 1965 under Dr. Stead. Furthermore, they are committed to finding not necessarily the all star students (they still want good students) but are looking/dedicated for students the are of best fit for the UAB program. 

By the way.... just for anyone worried about applying late... According to Mr. Drace the admission director, Mr. Maday one of the current faculty members and a recipient of the UAB Mentor of the Year Award was one of the last students to apply to the UAB PA class of 2007! I thought that was rather interesting. 

That being said... I wish everyone the BEST OF LUCK!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will throw a little nugget of information out here on the forum.....

I went to the information session they held on Aug 5th. I will start by saying there were potential applicants from all over the country (one girl drove from Cleveland, OH and one guy drove from Upper East, TN) just for the information session. From what the faculty explained during the information session they are looking to do interviews the last week of October and first week of November (for those of you who are anxiously anticipating if you will get a phone call, txt, or email).

The program director Mr. Kilgore said that as of Aug 5th they had 706 applicants to the program. Additionally, he mentioned that projected growth of the program over the next 4 years is to add 12 students more per each matriculating class. Therefore, the projected class of 2018 would have around 120 students (this is to meet the growing demand in primary care needs across the state of alabama and other underserved areas). Something to note: UAB is changing their program to meet the growing needs of healthcare nation wide as well as adapt to the affordable care act. Their program will still remain committed to have surgically based courses in the didactic year, BUT the surgical clinical rotations WILL BE CHANGING! As there is nationally a bigger push for primary care.... the program will mimic and emphasize primary care more. So elective rotations won't be as surgically focused and more broadly centered on primary and critical care.

One more thing I will mention.... the admission faculty talked about how the program doesn't require HCE, but that it is strongly discouraged if applicants haven't at least accumulated 1000+ direct patient contact hours. The admission director strongly pointed to the fact that the profession was founded on the idea that corpsman and other health care professionals seeking to expand their knowledge, experience, and skills could attain that through a fast track curriculum, PA school. With UAB being the second oldest program in the nation they are committed to serving the mission and values that have long been standing since the profession began dating back to 1965 under Dr. Stead. Furthermore, they are committed to finding not necessarily the all star students (they still want good students) but are looking/dedicated for students the are of best fit for the UAB program. 

By the way.... just for anyone worried about applying late... According to Mr. Drace the admission director, Mr. Maday one of the current faculty members and a recipient of the UAB Mentor of the Year Award was one of the last students to apply to the UAB PA class of 2007! I thought that was rather interesting. 

That being said... I wish everyone the BEST OF LUCK!!!!

So they have 700 applicants and accept around 100, I like those numbers!  And as for the surgical rotations, are they eliminating them and replacing them with primary care-focused rotations?  Or are they keeping the surgical rotations and just tweaking them a little?  The surgical rotations were what attracted me to this program.

I got an email from UAB stating that I met the minimum requirements and to send in my supplemental by Sept. 7th. I sent it in last week and still haven't received word that they have it - however, I shipped it with FedEx and tracked it and it said it was delivered, so I know that it made it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived