Online Classes-Add to the List!

Has anyone taken UNE's online genetics course? If so, what did you think of the course?

I was on a time crunch when I had to complete the course so I did find it challenging. The challenging part was not processing the information but in the amount of assignments that get thrown at you. The way this particular course is instructed is by basically having you do EVERYTHING in every chapter and hopefully you glean enough information as you go. All quizzes are open book as is the units tests and final. But you will definitely need to know the information as there will NOT be enough time to sift through the chapters while taking the test. If you are a work horse you will be able to crush the course. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get someone's advice on my current situation. I just applied this past cycle and had a handful of interviews. I was waitlisted at most. I'm still hopefully, but worried that I may need to reapply so I'm trying to start enrolling in more courses to continue bettering my application. My question is, I competed all of my pre-reqs minus abnormal psych and Spanish at a 4-year university. I may not be able to get into any of the courses I want to retake at the university, but can get in at the community college in my home town. Do you feel the admissions committees would frown upon me retaking courses at a community college rather than a 4/year university? Or not hold my courses I retook at a JC as high if I would've retaken them at the university?

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I have a question in regards to the calculated science GPA. I want to up mine for next year but how do they calculate it so that its fair for everyone? Because a science degree has more science classes that can work against you compared to someone who just has a psych degree or communications. Are the sciences only taken based off the prereq science courses? I want to retake some courses to up the GPA but I don't know where they get the numbers from. 

Thanks (:

Hi guys, I have a question in regards to the calculated science GPA. I want to up mine for next year but how do they calculate it so that its fair for everyone? Because a science degree has more science classes that can work against you compared to someone who just has a psych degree or communications. Are the sciences only taken based off the prereq science courses? I want to retake some courses to up the GPA but I don't know where they get the numbers from. 

Thanks (:

Welcome to the hindsight club. Colleges will look at your GPA and the pre-reqs to see if you qualify. Having a bio major or not is not going to help you if you have a 3.0 versus a psy major with a 3.3. Some schools will not even look at your application if your GPA was below a 3.0, science major or not. They get their numbers from all the science classes that you take.

• Upvote 2

Thanks (:

I think you'll get more responses if you post this in a more appropriate section or subforum. 

I was on a time crunch when I had to complete the course so I did find it challenging. The challenging part was not processing the information but in the amount of assignments that get thrown at you. The way this particular course is instructed is by basically having you do EVERYTHING in every chapter and hopefully you glean enough information as you go. All quizzes are open book as is the units tests and final. But you will definitely need to know the information as there will NOT be enough time to sift through the chapters while taking the test. If you are a work horse you will be able to crush the course. 

I'm going to go ahead and ask what most people reading this thread in the future and considering this course are thinking. Were the quiz and exam answers Google-able? Were the exams proctored? Genetics is the only course I have left and that I might need to find somewhere online to take so I'm just looking for an easy A for this last prereq, but I don't mind busy work. I just don't want some insanely difficult course. I hope you don't get offended by what I just wrote, because I'm sure some will.

I'm going to go ahead and ask what most people reading this thread in the future and considering this course are thinking. Were the quiz and exam answers Google-able? Were the exams proctored? Genetics is the only course I have left and that I might need to find somewhere online to take so I'm just looking for an easy A for this last prereq, but I don't mind busy work. I just don't want some insanely difficult course. I hope you don't get offended by what I just wrote, because I'm sure some will.

An online genetics class? You got to be kidding. I worked my butt off in my genetics class. I had the highest grade in class but I worked my butt off to actually understand the material and not just look it up. As my class had a lot of problem sets and it was all written, Google would not have been helpful even if it was allowed in class.

What school is UNE? University of New England?

An online genetics class? You got to be kidding. I worked my butt off in my genetics class. I had the highest grade in class but I worked my butt off to actually understand the material and not just look it up. As my class had a lot of problem sets and it was all written, Google would not have been helpful even if it was allowed in class.

UNE is University of New England. I'm also not sure it's fair to make the assumption that just because it's an online course that students are not working hard. In my experience taking an online course with UNE, almost everything was self-taught, and by no means was the biochemistry material easy.

• Upvote 2

Genetics isn't one of those classes that needs a lab to go along with it like anatomy, physiology, or the chemistry courses. It can be done without lab, because you get the essential lab skills in most of the other classes you'll take within your prereqs. Thus, it's easy to offer it as an online course. The same goes with biochemistry. If you don't need an on-site lab, it can be taught online. That's the direction all universities are gravitating toward. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I need to take Medical Terminology. The SD extension one is all full :( 

However they have Medical Terminology an Anatomy and Physiology approach. Is that class much harder? 

Also, can anyone recommend other places where I can take Medical Terminology? Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone taken the Arizona State University online courses? I looked at the grad reviews and it has 4 stars. They have A and B sections for each semester so that's really appealing to me.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Im thinking about taking genetics online. how about you ? did you go to ASU before?

• Upvote 1

Im thinking about taking genetics online. how about you ? did you go to ASU before?

No I didn't. I actually stumbled across it looking for science classes online. Have you?

I just want my credits to be taken LoL my immediate area up to an hour out doesn't offer many night classes

No I didn't. I actually stumbled across it looking for science classes online. Have you?

I just want my credits to be taken LoL my immediate area up to an hour out doesn't offer many night classes

I'm an ASU alumni; I'm thinking of taking Genetics online through ASU, but I would have to reapply for admissions. I've taken online classes through ASU and they were over $1,000 per course. I'm currently looking for a cheaper course, I found UC san diego extension. Let me know if you find any online genetics course. 

I'm an ASU alumni; I'm thinking of taking Genetics online through ASU, but I would have to reapply for admissions. I've taken online classes through ASU and they were over $1,000 per course. I'm currently looking for a cheaper course, I found UC san diego extension. Let me know if you find any online genetics course. 

I just finished up taking genetics online through Metropolitan Community College that was previously mentioned in this thread. I got the A I wanted. If you're interested or want specifics on the course feel free to PM me.

• 3 weeks later...

I took Micro with BYU last. Ended up with a B but an A is definitely manageable if you put the time in. You have a proctored test for each Module and can retake the exams for a fee. I ended up retaking quite a few of them.

Also, currently taking Genetics online with MCC. Instructor is very quick to reply and goes into detail about why you got the grade you did. 4 300 point exams, several homeworks, and online readings. Will most likely end up with an A in there.