Online Classes-Add to the List!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If anybody's looking for cheap tuition (for NC residents, anyway), check out the following:

Pitt Community College for "Principles of Genetics" www.pittcc.edu

Cleveland Community College for General Chemistry I and II with online labs (they used Late Nite Labs when I took them). www.clevelandcc.edu

Gaston College for A&P I and II and microbiology, all of which had online labs www.gaston.edu

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Ocean County Community College (NJ). I'm currently re-taking Bio 1 and A&P1 and they're 100% online (including lab). They also offer Chem. 1 & 2 with lab, micro, and many other science and non-science classes that are 100% online.

Would you (or anyone else) mind sharing what an online lab format looks like? My husband is in the military and paying a sitter for labs when he is gone is going to add up fast after paying for the class and book already. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was wondering if anyone here has taken the online Medical Terminology class from the University of New England (UNE). It's a three-credit online class at the cost of $985. Is this program any better than other places where they offer a certificate at a cheaper price? Thank you.

http://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/online-medical-terminology/

I was wondering if anyone here has taken the online Medical Terminology class from the University of New England (UNE). It's a three-credit online class at the cost of $985. Is this program any better than other places where they offer a certificate at a cheaper price? Thank you.

http://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/online-medical-terminology/

Take it from mccneb.edu

It was 360 for me, out of state.

• Upvote 1

@MaxPower I have taken Meeical Terminology through UNE and would highly recommend it! I'm about to start their pathophysiology class as well. Although the classes are substantially more expensive than other places, I have found that you get what you pay for. After working on applying to PA school for many years, I have found that most programs have somewhat "ranked" the systems of class taking. Obviously #1 is getting back in to a class room setting, with a higher preference for strong 4 year universities. If you can't do that, #2 is taking challenging online courses through a well known 4 year university. #3 community college on campus classes. And #4 online community college classes. Although options 3 and 4 will be less expensive, I think where you take the course, how many credits you took, and your work load all factor in towards your application! I have 3 out of these 4 options on my transcript and am saying all this based off of the feedback I have gotten from schools. So take it at UNE or some other large program. Harvard and UC Berkley have some great online courses as well.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MGH - $1,125/credit for non-degree students.  Wow...I mean, wow.  Blatantly ripping off pre-health students who are desperate for quick pre-reqs because they can't wait another cycle is a crime in my book.

My southern CA private U residential undergrad was less than 1/2 of that.  Unless one has cash to burn, I would caution against paying such extortion rates for online courses, especially since financial aid cannot be applied.

The phrase "it's a small price to pay relative to losing a year of potential income as a PA" is exactly what these expensive programs are literally banking on, that pre-health students are so desperate to get an application in this cycle that they will shell out Harvard residential rates for an online science course.  We all want in to PA school, but my goodness don't rack up $12,000 in debt just for a handful of pre-reqs that cost pennies on the dollar at a local school.  That is just poor financial literacy.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone taken online courses from Metropolitan Community College? I am currently doing some research on online courses and the price/credit (~78/credit for non-residents) at MCC. I am specifically interested in taking Chemistry (6 credits with lab) and Genetics (4.5 credits) in which both will  run over the winter semester (12/3/15 -> 2/29/16). Anyone have any feedback regarding taking courses from MCC? Thanks. 

Has anyone taken online courses from Metropolitan Community College? I am currently doing some research on online courses and the price/credit (~78/credit for non-residents) at MCC. I am specifically interested in taking Chemistry (6 credits with lab) and Genetics (4.5 credits) in which both will  run over the winter semester (12/3/15 -> 2/29/16). Anyone have any feedback regarding taking courses from MCC? Thanks. 

I took Genetics at MCC.  While cheap, I considered it a waste of my time.  Super easy, absolutely zero effort required, and I learned very little.  I definitely could have spent more time individually making sure I was learning to gain something, but the assignments don't really encourage this kind of work.  So I guess it really depends on your goals: easy A-- go for it, actual learning-- look elsewhere...

• Upvote 1

I took Genetics at MCC.  While cheap, I considered it a waste of my time.  Super easy, absolutely zero effort required, and I learned very little.  I definitely could have spent more time individually making sure I was learning to gain something, but the assignments don't really encourage this kind of work.  So I guess it really depends on your goals: easy A-- go for it, actual learning-- look elsewhere...

Thank you and I appreciate your feedback. I actually have already taken Genetics at another university and was trying to improve my grade so an easy A doesn't sound too bad (which professor did you have by the way)? Could you possibly go into how the class is structured or if you still have an old syllabus if possible? Thanks again.

Thank you and I appreciate your feedback. I actually have already taken Genetics at another university and was trying to improve my grade so an easy A doesn't sound too bad (which professor did you have by the way)? Could you possibly go into how the class is structured or if you still have an old syllabus if possible? Thanks again.

Yeah same here, took it at a university so I am also looking at an easy A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember the name of the professor.  Every week you had discussion posts, a quiz, and a paper due by midnight at the end of the week.  

Alright kids, I am currently taking a three credit Genetics course through Front Range Community College based in Colorado. I am in Pennsylvania.

Course is BIO 115, my professor is Van de Kamp.

Cost was $1088 because I'm out of state.

Also had to purchase textbook through them because of online access requirements - that cost $143.

***TIP - Purchase book directly through CengageBrain website. It costs same as the college bookstore; however, they mail you a loose leaf copy of the textbook which I found incredibly helpful.

Course is 12 weeks long.

Graded items:

2 Informal discussions - introduce yourself and course conclusion

5 formal discussions - around 5 sentences initial post, then you have to reply to two other student's posts

5 assignments - 15 min to 30 min work? Maybe?

16 chapter study guides - take as many times as you like, open book. Drops lowest 3.

16 chapter quizzes - 20 questions each, two attempts for each quiz, 1 hour limit for each attempt. Open book.

***NO EXAMS, NOTHING PROCTORED***

I've had genetics in other coursework, but I never had a specific "Genetics" course which is what my PA school requires. Based on recommendations from students in the program, I wasn't interested in getting a huge amount of information from the course because it's not really necessary in the program - basically, the "easy A" was what I wanted.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend this course. I chose this over my local community college because of the lack of exams and proctoring service was not required. Yes, it was about $200 more expensive than the local option, but the work load and time commitment (or lack thereof) was MORE than worth it for me.

Good Luck!!

• Upvote 4

At the recommendation of this forum I ended up taking the online General Biology 2 from Ocean County College with Prof. LaBella. I am just about done and will end up with an A. The class involves a fair amount of work but nothing overwhelming. There are multiple dissections which you do at home. The class itself is not too expensive (even out of state) but you also have to buy a home lab pack, microscope, and online access to the particular book they use which adds about $500 on top of tuition. The syllabus make the class seem really hard but so far he has been a very generous grader (as long as you put the work into the assignment he gives a 100). If you are needing Bio 1 or Bio 2 online, this is the school to do it at!

• Upvote 1

Alright kids, I am currently taking a three credit Genetics course through Front Range Community College based in Colorado. I am in Pennsylvania.

Course is BIO 115, my professor is Van de Kamp.

Cost was $1088 because I'm out of state.

Also had to purchase textbook through them because of online access requirements - that cost $143.

***TIP - Purchase book directly through CengageBrain website. It costs same as the college bookstore; however, they mail you a loose leaf copy of the textbook which I found incredibly helpful.

Course is 12 weeks long.

Graded items:

2 Informal discussions - introduce yourself and course conclusion

5 formal discussions - around 5 sentences initial post, then you have to reply to two other student's posts

5 assignments - 15 min to 30 min work? Maybe?

16 chapter study guides - take as many times as you like, open book. Drops lowest 3.

16 chapter quizzes - 20 questions each, two attempts for each quiz, 1 hour limit for each attempt. Open book.

***NO EXAMS, NOTHING PROCTORED***

I've had genetics in other coursework, but I never had a specific "Genetics" course which is what my PA school requires. Based on recommendations from students in the program, I wasn't interested in getting a huge amount of information from the course because it's not really necessary in the program - basically, the "easy A" was what I wanted.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend this course. I chose this over my local community college because of the lack of exams and proctoring service was not required. Yes, it was about $200 more expensive than the local option, but the work load and time commitment (or lack thereof) was MORE than worth it for me.

Good Luck!!

Lots of good information about this program !!!! If I had the thousand bucks I would definitely do it !! Sounds really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk