Online Classes-Add to the List!

@Dave6 Thank you so much for confirming all the research I have done! It is good to hear that someone else has come to the same conclusions that I have. Although University of Phoenix is accredited, I did not get the impression that it was as widely accepted for prereq work. I have heard terror stories about UNE's Biochem class. So if I ever retake that class, I will try  and get back in the classroom at a local university to take it....although I have had A LOT of trouble finding upper level courses that could fit my schedule. 

@paapp123 I am actually planning on taking UNE's pathophysiology class next (after I finish medical terminology). I have all of my prereqs completed. Just trying to increase the GPA. THEN I plan to take UC Berkeley's Genetics course. Unless by some miracle UNE decides to open one. Since I know about the proctored exam ahead of time, I would strongly suggest not putting that off till the last minute. Find somewhere to take it! If you go on to UC Berkeley's Genetics page, they give a lot of information about the rules of proctoring and suggestions of where to take it (library, university, etc.) They say that sometimes people require a fee to proctor the exam, so keep that in mind!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New England University is another school that offers online pre-req. science courses for the allied health science programs. UNE is an accredited university and has a medical school.

Some labs are virtual. Check with your preferred PA programs as some may prefer a brick/mortal lab. I will be taking courses in the of Winter 2015. Best.

online.une.edu/science-perquisites or Google.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Medical Ethics (3 credits) and Medical Terminology (1 credit) are both offered online through Eastern Michigan University. Both great classes, with no proctored exams required. I felt that both were interesting and very fairly graded. The Medical Ethics class required weekly discussion posts to an online forum (in response to ethical articles/readings), and a couple of papers, but you had the option to submit a rough draft and get feedback from the prof. Overall, not very difficult.

I took Biochemistry (4 credits- BMB 401) online through Michigan State University and had a positive experience with this one, as well. It is by far one of the most difficult classes I've ever taken, but the Professor (Dr. Kathleen Foley) is excellent, and if you put the time into it, it is very possible to earn an A. There are 10 online lectures per unit, each around 40 minutes long, for 4 units total. There is an exam at the end of each unit, with an optional cumulative final at the end of the semester. The practice exams (from previous semesters) are quite similar to the actual exams, and this was honestly what got me through the course. The only downside was that we were required to use a proctor for the exams, which were administered at set times (Fridays from 3-4pm). I utilized a testing center at a nearby community college, but you can use anyone who is a current university professor. Overall, I would highly recommend this course, but caution that you definitely must be willing to put the time into this one.

PM me with any questions! :D

• Upvote 1

I have looked at the program at UNE. I know it's expensive... Do you feel it was a good course?

I felt it was a good class and I did learn from the course, I will have to say it was very hard and I put many hours a day into studying especially for the final which is worth a good portion of the grade.

• Upvote 1

I have five prerequisites to take next year. I am applying to UW Madison and Juli has been absolutely amazing at quickly answering my questions. When I was having difficulty trying to fit in Biology she pointed me to University of Wisconsin Colleges Online. She even told me exactly what classes would be equivalents at all the area school.

Spring 2015 I am taking:
Anatomy and Physiology 1 (BIOL 1140) at Lake Superior College. The class is mostly online. I have to go in twice to take a test. The professor said that I could take the tests anywhere I can set up a proctored exam. There is an online lab, but UW Madison doesn't require one for A&P.

Concepts of Biology (BIO 101) at UW Online. Hopefully, I just applied so I am hoping to be able to register soon.

Summer 2015:

Anatomy and Physiology 2 (BIOL 1141) at Lake Superior College. Same at A&P 1. Mostly online. Has an online lab.

Microbiology (BIOL 1170) at Lake Superior College. I am taking this one on campus. But they do have a completely online option with a lab. 

Survey of Biochemistry (CHE 203) at UW Online. Was on the list Juli sent me as an equivalent Biochem class. Might take it in the fall, if it happens to not be offered in the summer. It was on the summer schedule last year.

She also sent me lists from UNE and Berkley, which have been mentioned many times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Upon doing some research on summer course offerings near me, I stumbled upon MGH Institute of Health Professions, which offers both A&P 1 and 2, with labs, ALL online (virtual dissections and all for the labs)

I don't know too much about this program, or this school for that matter, but I'll definitely be looking into this option for taking classes over the summer. 

• 5 weeks later...

@jkang Hi! No, I have not started pathophysiology yet. I finished medical terminology with Dr. Wyant. But in the mean time, I got engaged, and am planning a wedding. And then I decided to get a new medical assistant job and move! So I decided it was better to hold off on the class until I had more time to devote to it.

However, I do REALLY want to take it! I've had trouble finding universities in the area that have evening science classes. I am also considered UC Berkeley's Genetics course if I can't get in a classroom setting again.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest taking more than one at a time. But I tend to over extend myself with activities and work. If you think you can handle the work load and get A's. Go for it! It's not worth the time and money unless you are pulling in high grades to help the GPA.

If you decide to take it soon, let me know it is!? I plan to take it in the spring.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to chime in for a second..

If you are taking an online class, especially your science courses; I would HIGHLY suggest you contact the program that you intend applying to and ask if the program accepts online labs.

There are many programs that do not accept a&p, micro, bio, and chem labs that are conducted online. I have been rejected from two different programs because I took all of my classes online including all sciences and their labs too.

I went to South University out of Savannah, GA and earned a BS in Health Sciences all done online. This was an amazing program. Very, very challenging and more expensive because it is a private school. However, they are nationally and regionally accredited and they have been around since 1899!

Southuniversity.edu is their website. Oh!!! And they also have an NP and PA program there as well!

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to share my experience here. I need to take Medical Terminology, Genetics and Biochemistry. I was looking for only options for few months and called many colleges to clarify some details. I'm live in Maryland and that is an important part of my journey. I read many comments on Black Hawk college and applied there. They were very good at getting back to me but they couldn't accept me because according to some weird rule of MD and some other surrounded states like Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, they cannot accepts students from these states.

So, I continue looking into other colleges until I found Metropolitan Community College mentioned here. Right now they have Genetics online and Medical Terminology online. There aren't proctorate exams for these two.

Genetics is BIOS 2050 03/06/15 - 05/21/15. I looked up professors ratings and Inbarasu has a higher one.

Medical Terminology is HIMS 1120 03/06/15 - 05/21/15. I looked up professors ratings and Burgett has a higher one.

The application process took me few days but they called back and explained every step. They will accept unofficial transcript from your institution, so you can apply and register right away.

The best part of it is the cost. Both classes are 4.5 credit units which corresponds with regular 3 cr.h that is acceptable by all programs. Each credit is $80 for out of state or $35 for in state.

As for Biochemstry, I think I would have to go with local university or Kansas State extension BIOCH 521 online which is about $1200 for 3 units for lecture portion. The local university doesn't really accept students that want to take few classes, so I would have to establish my major and get accepted if I want to be able to take classes there.

I need an advice here. I'm taking Biology 101 right now and many programs require a year of biology. What would be my next class? Would cell biology satisfy it? Do you think if I'll have Biochemistry and Cell Bio for Fall, would I be competitive candidate?

Right now, I'm taking 20 credits (BSN classes, Bio, Med. Term, and Genetics), so I can finish as many prepreqs as possible before CASPA starts. I finishing my BSN in July 3rd.

Thank you. Please let me know if anyone will attend the same classes, so we can work  together. :)

thanks! Do pa programs care if these classes are taken online ? Are these online classes accepted more since they are not science courses and don't need lab?

I think they don't really care for medical terminology. Genetics don't really offered with lab portion almost anywhere, so I guess not. At least I didn't see the requirements for in class genetics.

Cayuga Community College

Anatomy and Physiology I - online lab, great course, learned a lot

Anatomy and Physiology II

Human Biology

General Microbiology - hands on, at home lab. grow and culture bacteria and everything. loved this course. learned a lot

Nutrition 

Pharmacology - tough professor but worth it, need proctor for final

Spanish for Healthcare Professionals - a lot of work 

Forensic Science 

+ Several other science courses

Dallas Community Colleges Online

Medical Terminology

All other basic college courses

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...