Online Classes-Add to the List!

Here is a big FYI for anyone wanting to take online pre-reqs and apply to Albany Medical College. They do NOT accept the lab component of an online lab like UNE. Like everyone has been saying...check with the programs you are interested in. Most have said they would accept it, but some will not. I copy the E-mail sent to me from one of the associate professors:

Where we don't ask for labs specifically, e.g., a third chemistry http://www.amc.edu/Academic/PhysicianAssistant/Admissions.html

then the distance learning Medical Biochemistry through UNE would be a great (and rigiorous) choice: http://faculty.une.edu/com/courses/bionut/distbio/distbiohome.html

In contrast, where we ask for a lab, e.g., microbiology, the consensus of the faculty here has been that we want "real" vs. virtual labs, and so do not accept the lab component, e.g., I have emailed the instructor for the following in the past year to clarify what her labs are, and the PA faculty agreed that we would not accept them. The lecture part of a DL course is fine by us.

http://www.une.edu/com/online/micro/

Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me with questions or concerns.

Bill Crone, Albany Med PA program

Edited by tootie

Usually you can take the course online and then take the lab at a local school near you....Ive done that before and it worked out pretty well for me....labs are usually once a week and if you go through a CC you can usually get a night or day course.

Definitely check with teh schools though and see if they will accept it.

I did my AA online so all my online courses came from one school....my school did NOT designate online or on campus so unless I say something, anyone looking at my transcripts could not tell if I took the courses online or on campus.

Also if you look at local state schools....many offer hybrid online courses where you meet once or twice a week for a short period of time with everything else being offered online.

DO NOT take classes online because you think they are easier because for the most part they wont be....if you know that you are lacking in an area (with me its phsyical science) you should probably take it on campus---if you are not good with self study, time management, self motivation ect---take it on campus

I'll throw in my assistance.

South Arkansas Community College has online human anatomy/physiology with lab (two courses), nutrition/diet (usually only required for nurses), and a couple other online courses. I'm taking A&P there this summer online. I can report back once I'm finished. They also have very cheap tuition.

National Park Community College also has online A&P which I found by doing a random search. Cheap also.

Also, I have emails from almost every osteopathic medical school regarding their acceptance of online courses if anyone is interested. PM me for further.

Am hoping someone might have some perspective on this: I have my B.S. in Biological Sciences. During undergrad, I completed Human Physiology (3 cr.); however, anatomy was not offered. I have since taken Intro to A&P, but A&P II is not offered by the same institution. As many schools require either A&P I&II or Anatomy + Physiology, is it reasonable to take A&P II through CCC to fulfill the A&P requirements? I do plan to e-mail schools for clarification, but was hoping to get a general answer (am still doing heavy research to determine my CASPA-designated schools). Thanks!

really couldnt say.....I would think that it may cause a problem.....make sure you email the complete corse description of not only the intro course but also the A&P II course you plan to take....

I see the first one causing a problem because of the term "intro" it makes it seem as though its an A&P course for non science majors (like intro to chem and intro to bio)...if thats the case then you will have to take A&P I and II somewhere else back to back

Perhaps it may be easier to see if you can find a University that offers anatomy alone online if you dont have a local university that does

Am hoping someone might have some perspective on this: I have my B.S. in Biological Sciences. During undergrad, I completed Human Physiology (3 cr.); however, anatomy was not offered. I have since taken Intro to A&P, but A&P II is not offered by the same institution. As many schools require either A&P I&II or Anatomy + Physiology, is it reasonable to take A&P II through CCC to fulfill the A&P requirements? I do plan to e-mail schools for clarification, but was hoping to get a general answer (am still doing heavy research to determine my CASPA-designated schools). Thanks!

***********Two things************

Has anyone come across a school that has: Endocrinology and/or virology online for an inexpensive tuition

Second when listing schools....try to add whether or not they designate classes as online courses on teh transcript.....just an extra bit of info that people might want to know...

chem I http://www.pcc.edu/schedule/default.cfm?fa=dspform&frmType=DL

Resident Tuition

$74 per credit To qualify for resident tuition, you must be an American citizen or immigrant with a permanent resident status in Oregon or the bordering states of Idaho, California, Nevada and Washington.

Non-Resident Tuition $202 per credit Non-residents include international students and students residing in states which do not border Oregon.

Edited by just_me

Part-Time Tuition Information

Greenville County Resident $134*

Out-of-County (S.C.) Resident $146*

Out-of-State Resident/Non-U.S. Citizen (on Visa) Per Credit Hour $281*

They have a good amount of courses online http://college-online.com/schedules/schedules.htm anatomy and hysiology I and II, physiology, nutrition and med term among others

Edited by just_me

Thanks! Does anyone know of a distance learning anatomy class (just anatomy, not A&P)? I've spent hours researching, to no avail.

Also, I haven't found virology -- hope you have more success!

Try this one http://www.kellogg.edu/is/coursetec/Fall2009.html i read that you have to go to campus twice...once for a midterm and once for a final but maybe they have it set up so you can do a proctored exam (take it at a testing facility near you) I would email the instructor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I'd like to apply at Drew this January. I want to take 1 year of Chemistry (1&2) before applying. I need to take an intro class for most Chem I courses (except the Chem course at Coastline).

If I could find a school that offers an 8 week Chem I course for the first part of the Fall term and an 8 week Chem II course for the second I will meet the prereq before the deadline.

I'll only have the minimum patient care experience at time of application (full time course load) so I'm trying to make sure all grades for prereqs are in by the time I apply so that my application is strong academically.

I'd even consider reasonably priced out of state online courses with labs.

Hello,

I'd like to apply at Drew this January. I want to take 1 year of Chemistry (1&2) before applying. I need to take an intro class for most Chem I courses (except the Chem course at Coastline).

If I could find a school that offers an 8 week Chem I course for the first part of the Fall term and an 8 week Chem II course for the second I will meet the prereq before the deadline.

I'll only have the minimum patient care experience at time of application (full time course load) so I'm trying to make sure all grades for prereqs are in by the time I apply so that my application is strong academically.

I'd even consider reasonably priced out of state online courses with labs.

then you should start looking through the ton of links provided here

The issue isn't me finding an online chemistry course w/ lab. I've found several all over the country.

The issues are:

1) Short term - 8 weeks or less - chem 1 & chem 2 back to back series commencing this fall

AND

2a) courses from California Community Colleges or CSU or UC schools

OR

2b) affordable courses from outside of the area mentioned in 2a

Is didn't think it was too much to ask if a couple of the multitude of courses mentioned fit my parameters. If anyone has any additional info I appreciate your help.