Online Classes-Add to the List!

Clovis CC (clovis.edu) will let you take up to 7 credit hours for $113 for spring term.

Looks like it is $113 (+ $9 technology fee + $50 per online class) for up to 6 credit hours for non-NM residents. I am in awe at how that school can afford to pay its employees. I pay around that much for one credit at my local community college. It sounds like a great place to take medical terminology online!

Edited by candrea

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cid913

University of MN

http://www.cce.umn.edu/creditcourses/distance/

Most of these classes have start dates every month and you're allowed 9 months to complete them. You can usually finish as fast as you want.

BIOL 4003 - Genetics (Biochem prereq)

BIOC 3021 - BioChem (Gen Biology & Organic prereqs)

BIOL 1009 - Gen Biology (I took this class - challenging but doable. Most labs are done at home with kit.)

BIOL 4004 - Cell Biology (Biochemistry and Genetics prereqs )

PSTL 1004 - Stats (intermediate algebra prereq)

PSY 1001 - Intro to Psychology

PSY 3604 - Intro to Abnormal Psychology (Intro to Psych prereq) My friend took this. Very manageable.

CNES 1046 - Med Terminology (I took this one. Good class. Very manageable. )

Rio Salado CC

http://www.riosalado.edu/

This is a well-established, online school. Reasonably priced.

Classes are starting at least once a month. Very easy to register & get going. For the classes listed below, you are not allowed to work ahead. Most take 16 weeks.

Bio 205 - Micro with lab (Lots of writing involved. Teacher was very responsive to email questions. I studied a lot but it did pay off with an A.)

Bio 201 & 202 - A&P 1&2 with lab (I'm starting this in 3 weeks.) Some sections of 202 are offered accelerated - 8 weeks.

Many other general prereqs are offered online - Chem, Biology, Stats, Psych, Med Term, etc.

Guest uli2000
University of MN

Most of these classes have start dates every month and you're allowed 9 months to complete them. You can usually finish as fast as you want.

BIOL 1009 - Gen Biology (I took this class - challenging but doable. Most labs are done at home with kit.)

PSY 3604 - Intro to Abnormal Psychology (Intro to Psych prereq) My friend took this. Very manageable.

Rio Salado CC

Classes are starting at least once a month. Very easy to register & get going. For the classes listed below, you are not allowed to work ahead. Most take 16 weeks.

Bio 205 - Micro with lab (Lots of writing involved. Teacher was very responsive to email questions. I studied a lot but it did pay off with an A.)

Bio 201 & 202 - A&P 1&2 with lab (I'm starting this in 3 weeks.) Some sections of 202 are offered accelerated - 8 weeks.

Many other general prereqs are offered online - Chem, Biology, Stats, Psych, Med Term, etc.

I did some classes with RSCC when I lived in the Phoenix area a few years ago. I had to go to one of a few testing centers in the Phoenix area to do exams. I dont know what if any provisions they have for out of area testing.

Anyone that has taken online classes how hard would you say it is compared to taking a class at a campus near you? I've never taken an online class but I might consider it.

I completed my whole AA online and at times it was more difficult than on campus and other times it wasnt. Here are my pros and cons

cons

usually you dont have access to lectures. some professors do record lectures or do study outlines but dont always count on that

if you get an univolved professor it could take some time to get answers via email

you may end up having to visit campus to take exams. not all professors do all the exams online

theres a time limitto the tests. usually if youre on campus you have the whole class period to test but with online classes some professors give large amounts of time to test while others give a min or less per question to eliminate the ability to use your book

if you are a procrastinator this can get you in trouble

weekly posts. many have a weekly post assignment to take attendance. usually you post and then respond to two other posts...some even require a certain amount word count

pros

you can usually work ahead

some professors allow open book

you can do you work whatever time of day as long as you meet the deadlines

testing is normally open for a few days giving you extra time to study and get ready

grades for quizzes are normally immediate

its easier to keep up with your grade and track your status

I completed my whole AA online and at times it was more difficult than on campus and other times it wasnt. Here are my pros and cons

cons

usually you dont have access to lectures. some professors do record lectures or do study outlines but dont always count on that

if you get an univolved professor it could take some time to get answers via email

you may end up having to visit campus to take exams. not all professors do all the exams online

theres a time limitto the tests. usually if youre on campus you have the whole class period to test but with online classes some professors give large amounts of time to test while others give a min or less per question to eliminate the ability to use your book

if you are a procrastinator this can get you in trouble

weekly posts. many have a weekly post assignment to take attendance. usually you post and then respond to two other posts...some even require a certain amount word count

pros

you can usually work ahead

some professors allow open book

you can do you work whatever time of day as long as you meet the deadlines

testing is normally open for a few days giving you extra time to study and get ready

grades for quizzes are normally immediate

its easier to keep up with your grade and track your status

You mentioned in the cons section that for some professors they require you to come to campus to take the tests. I see alot of websites posted on here but to me it seemed that you dont have to actually physically be near that school to take the course. Before signing up for the course do they tell you if you have to physically be near the course?

For instance some of these online courses the campuse are in the midwest now I live in California so that wouldnt workout that well.

I've always found they say if you have to go to campus somewhere before you register. But I had one instance with Rio Salado where they didn't say until after the class started that you had to arrange to take the exams at a testing center. Fortunately I was able to get a full refund, but I really think that should have been disclosed somewhere prior to registering.

You mentioned in the cons section that for some professors they require you to come to campus to take the tests. I see alot of websites posted on here but to me it seemed that you dont have to actually physically be near that school to take the course. Before signing up for the course do they tell you if you have to physically be near the course?

For instance some of these online courses the campuse are in the midwest now I live in California so that wouldnt workout that well.

You mainly have to be careful with classes that require labs. many schools list the actual class online but the lab on campus like Chmeeteka and theres no way around it.

Now lets take me for example....there were quite a few of my classes that required the final taken on campus. The school I was attending is 2 hours away. Many schools understand that out of state students may take classes so therefore you are allowed to set up a proctor to watch you take the exam. Usually this can be set up with another school local too you. Most of the time you have to pay that school. You then forward that shcools testing center information to your professor and then they forward test material and/or online password for access and directions to that proctor. you set an appointment, take the exam and they forward any testing material back to your professor.

To find out if the exams will be on campus or not, it is in your best interest to find out the professor offering the class and contact them directly.

Guest Equusz

Mississippi Virtual Community College (a consortium of several colleges) offer a ton of online courses, including labs. Pretty cheap, too. I did my A&P labs by themselves with them as my previous A&P course was online through Excelsior (which also has a ton of online courses) and didn't have a lab. Excelsior's expensive though, $300 per semester credit. Or you could self-study and do one of their exams for about $250. If you pass the exam you get the credit and a letter grade corresponding do your exam score.

Finally, University of Idaho Independent Study also has many self-paced online courses, I did my microbiology (no lab) and statistics through them. And they're quite cheap, $300 for a 3 semester-credit course, whether in or out of state.

Guest cid913
I did some classes with RSCC when I lived in the Phoenix area a few years ago. I had to go to one of a few testing centers in the Phoenix area to do exams. I dont know what if any provisions they have for out of area testing.

I live in MN and took Rio's classes (they are based out of AZ)

Here's Rio's link regarding proctored exams:

http://www.riosalado.edu/services/student/support/testing/proctor.shtml

I went to my local university's testing center to take the midterm & final. You have an option of paper or electronic testing (if your testing center has the capabilities). You have to get approval from Rio regarding the place you pick.

If you give Rio's testing center a call, they will tell you the nearest pre-approved testing center in your area. Otherwise, you fill out paperwork for approval.

hey im looking to do classes in summer, probably organic chem, bio chem, and microbiology... because most schools require 4 credit of microbiology and i only plan to take 2 classes in summer.. i think ima do the organic chem and bio chem.... anyone know what 2 schools would be good for these to do it online in the summer?

The University of South Dakota has a pretty extensive listing of online courses for the size of the university. I took the medical terminology course over the summer while I was an undergrad there, however, you can register as non-degree-seeking and take a few classes here and there as I understand. Plus, the tuition is pretty low.

The main distance education/continuing education website is: http://www.usd.edu/ce/

The links on the left should take you to the classes currently being offered (most are only offered during a standard semester)

A few that may be of interest for this crowd:

ADS classes (alcohol and drug studies...there are many classes offered online)

CHEM 106 Gen. Chem Survey + Lab

CLHU 101 Medical Terminology

ENGL 101 & 210

MATH 101 Intermediate Algebra

MATH 103 College Algebra

MATH 104 Finite Mathematics

MICR 230 General Microbiology (this may not be sufficient for PA school requirements, as some require upper level micro)

PHGY 210 Human Physiology + Lab

PHGY 220 Human Anatomy and Physiology I + Lab

PHGY 230 Human Anatomy and Physiology II + Lab

Also, note that if it is a class with written exams, you will need to have a proctor approved by the continuing ed department.

i was looking at some schools i was interested in... some dont include medical terminology... and i still need to do organic chem, microbiology,. and bio chemistry that many require... i was looking at this CC by me for summer classes, they have these:

B 371 - Intro to Microbiology

4.000 Credit hours

3.000 Lecture hours

1.000 Lab hours

BIO 100 - Medical Terminology

3.000 Credit hours

3.000 Lecture hours

0.000 Lab hours

i cant find organic chem or bio chem at this CC by me... any ideas on what to do or any suggestion.. i plan to just take 2 summer classes.

Guest Genetics56

The University of South Florida has a new online Master's degree in Medical Sciences. I contacted the schools I will be applying for GC school (Medical Genetics) and they were all ok with it. I don't know if PA schools would like it or not though.

I will be doing this program....with first starting out as a certificate student to make sure I can handle it via distance education.

I've taken several courses online. It worked best for me was to take a regular semester course so you have weekly deadlines, quizzes, and exams just like a regular class that you have in a classroom. The courses that I hated, via distance education, were the courses that you can take up to 8 to 15 complete.

If you have the chance, always try and take the pre-reqs in a normal classroom setting. The PA schools that I talked to didn't mind me taking lecture only based classes via distance education...but not labs.

Guest Genetics56
try looking through the links provided in this list. if you are looking at schools near you only you can look under education in the yahoo directory and pull up your area and visit each and every schools distance learning website in your area

I really like how they have it laid out. They did a good job. Very easy to navigate.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DanyelleS
The University of South Florida has a new online Master's degree in Medical Sciences..

I just looked at their website and couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

Nevermind, I found it. Its really expensive, but I might do the certificate part...

Edited by DanyelleS

Guest Genetics56
I just looked at their website and couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

Nevermind, I found it. Its really expensive, but I might do the certificate part...

I'm lucky to have a job that will basically pay for it on its own (a side job).

I will be starting out as a certificate student as well and then going into the Master's degree part. I'm going to do this along with taking some new undergraduate science courses to boost my science GPA before I apply to PA schools. I feel that I didn't learn the sciences as well as I would have liked to in undergraduate school. So I'm going to take a bunch of distance education science courses (lecture based only).

The material that is taught in medical school and PA school does not seem "hard" at all. I work with the medical/science literature everyday. So I'm use to all of the terms, drugs, diseases, mechanisms of diseases, etc. So it is just a matter of me being able to gain admissions.

I might work at getting some more direct patient contact experience at a nursing home on the weekend mornings.

• 2 months later...
University of MN

Rio Salado CC

looking for place to take medical term and stats online, when i went to MN site and typed in, nothing came up for anything....

Oregon State Has A Great Stats Course Online That I Took A Few Yrs Ago-

Math 201

thanks will look up, ima see if they included med term as well... did they let you work ahead, how long it take?

BTW i never took online, so is there lectures online, and then u watch videos? and then they send you a university near by to take a test?

I was thinking about looking at DeVry, just trying to take stats and med term

I have taken a few online courses at Oregon State. Most of them are great except for Genetics and Statistics.

The genetics class was a joke with several complaints about the professor on ratemyprofessors.com. There was very little instructor involvement. The only instruction was to read the text. Unfortunately the tests were not aligned with the assigned reading so there were always several questions from chapters that were not even assigned or were assigned after the exam date. The prof does not curve the grades and the highest grade in the class was a b-. I would avoid this course at all costs if you are concerned about your GPA.

The stats class was simple but they have you use an outside website for instruction and that website did not work well. It was hard to study when the site would go down or when it would send you to random chapters after clicking the next chapter button. Maybe they have improved it since I took it in 2006.

I have also taken Micro 302, Nutrition 225 and Biochem online at OSU. Those were great classes with a ton of support from the professors. The biochem course was my favorite, but be prepared to work your tail off if you take the 4 week summer course.

looking for place to take medical term and stats online, when i went to MN site and typed in, nothing came up for anything....

Click the link the poster provided and then click Courses on the left hand side. On the next page, type CNES into the Course Subject box and hit Search. You should end up with the Med Term class. Do the same thing but use PSTL in the search box and you'll end up with some math classes (one of which is statistics).