Out of state applicant

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/academic-programs/physician-assistant/applicants/classprofiles.cfm

If you read the paragraphs there is a little information regarding your question, although it isn't a direct answer. I live in Oregon and am not applying to OHSU because my initial statistics, although I meet the minimum requirements, are not strong enough. I think I have a pretty good application package (have one interview scheduled already in AZ), but unfortunately that includes a less than stellar GPA.

I would say if you are out of state with zero connections to OR, you should have an extremely competitive application package.

I was an out of state applicant, and I was interviewed and accepted. I had a decent GPA, excellent and passionate essays, and a really good interview. 

They never asked me about my plans to move to Oregon permanently, although the schools up here (I am a first year at UW MEDEX) *tend* to be "regional" programs geared to training providers in their respective areas. UW is also very similar in their regional mission statement. 

I got a mixed message from their admissions department.  When asked, they claimed in-state applicants hold absolutely zero advantage throughout the application process and that they view all applicants equally, regardless of geography.  Skeptical, I then asked what percentage of APPLICANTS are Oregon residents.  The answer, "10-12%."  Then when you head over to the stats page on their website, it turns out, a whopping 60% of last years accepted class were Oregon residents!  (http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/academic-programs/physician-assistant/applicants/classprofiles.cfm)  To go from 10-12% of the pie to 50-60% sounds like a huge advantage to me.  Those are the statistics talking, anyway...

I got a mixed message from their admissions department.  When asked, they claimed in-state applicants hold absolutely zero advantage throughout the application process and that they view all applicants equally, regardless of geography.  Skeptical, I then asked what percentage of APPLICANTS are Oregon residents.  The answer, "10-12%."  Then when you head over to the stats page on their website, it turns out, a whopping 60% of last years accepted class were Oregon residents!  (http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/academic-programs/physician-assistant/applicants/classprofiles.cfm)  To go from 10-12% of the pie to 50-60% sounds like a huge advantage to me.  Those are the statistics talking, anyway...

I am going to assume they misspoke when you asked this question. It seems more likely that 10-12% is in regards to out-of-state applicants as applicant pools tend to reflect the state in which they reside. There are only 2 accredited programs in Oregon…so if that statistic were correct, apparently residents are jumping ship.

I am going to assume they misspoke when you asked this question. It seems more likely that 10-12% is in regards to out-of-state applicants as applicant pools tend to reflect the state in which they reside. There are only 2 accredited programs in Oregon…so if that statistic were correct, apparently residents are jumping ship.

Perhaps it's worth calling to ask again, but the woman I spoke with definitely followed that number up by claiming the vast majority of applicants are from out of state...

I guess think about the percentages that you guys are talking about. If the woman at OHSU said that of all applicants, 10-12% are from in-state, then 100-120 of the 1000 applicants (on average) they receive are from Oregon. Oregon isn't hugely populated compared to even Washington and definitely California, so that's definitely possible. And then if you figure that it says on the website that 50-60% of those accepted are from Oregon, then figure if they have a class of 40-ish students, then 20-ish students are from Oregon.

I guess think about the percentages that you guys are talking about. If the woman at OHSU said that of all applicants, 10-12% are from in-state, then 100-120 of the 1000 applicants (on average) they receive are from Oregon. Oregon isn't hugely populated compared to even Washington and definitely California, so that's definitely possible. And then if you figure that it says on the website that 50-60% of those accepted are from Oregon, then figure if they have a class of 40-ish students, then 20-ish students are from Oregon.

Right.  So a 2.2% acceptance rate for out of staters and a 20% acceptance rate for in-state.  Sounds like an advantage to me.  If someone else calls admissions to ask this question, please post their response.  This sounds too good to be true for Oregonians... 

Wow if those numbers are true thats a huge advantage for instate applicants! Well my CASPA is submitted to them, guess I'll just have to wait and see.  I think I have a really good GPA and HCE, guess it's going to be up to what they think of my essays and lack of additional/ upper level science classes

Ktcan, if you don't mind me asking, what did you say/ write on the supplemental applications, when they asked why you were interested in that area, and if you had intentions on staying there?  I have moved around a ton, all over the country and world, and haven't really stayed anywhere for any length of time, putting me at a disadvantage for schools anywhere that have a preference for someone "from" there

I don't remember specifics (seems like forever ago!), but I do know that I was honest about my intentions to move to the Pacific Northwest for school and stay there after graduation, and thought that Oregon seemed like a place I could enjoy. I mentioned family in Washington, an attraction to the area and the healthcare opportunities that were present there, but other than that, they really didn't grill me on my desires to stay or leave. Even at the interview, they were pretty relaxed about it. 

Perhaps this experience will vary for others, I'm not sure. I have a very strong and clear mission for what I want to accomplish or how I want to work as a healthcare provider, so that may have helped, because I did my research on the area and discovered that Oregon had much that I was looking for in those terms. 

I found both OHSU and UW MEDEX to be very open to me being from "sunny Southern California" with not that many ties to the area. They are billed as a regional program, but in my incoming class at MEDEX, we have people from as far away as Egypt and as close as Tacoma and everywhere in between. The last incoming class at OHSU was very similar, per a friend who is currently enrolled in that class. 

Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

Directly from Colleen, Director of Admissions:

12-15% of applicants were OR residents in 2014.  (We'll use 13.5% for math's sake.) 

From the OHSU website: 

1213 applicants last cycle (2014)...

164 OR residents (13.5%)

1049 non-residents

42 admitted...

25 were OR residents

17 were non-residents

This means, statistically, as an OR resident, there was a 15.2% chance of acceptance (25/164) in 2014, and as a non-resident, there was a 1.6% chance (17/1049).  Odds are about 10 times better in-state.  42 of the 143 interviewed were accepted, so once an invitation was extended, odds jumped to about 30%.  Obviously things like 10,000 healthcare hours or a terrible letter of recommendation will sway the odds one way or the other, but the residency preference is at least worth noting... 

Does anyone know how many seats they're looking to fill next year (at the new building)?  

• 3 weeks later...

Directly from Colleen, Director of Admissions:

12-15% of applicants were OR residents in 2014.  (We'll use 13.5% for math's sake.) 

From the OHSU website: 

1213 applicants last cycle (2014)...

164 OR residents (13.5%)

1049 non-residents

42 admitted...

25 were OR residents

17 were non-residents

This means, statistically, as an OR resident, there was a 15.2% chance of acceptance (25/164) in 2014, and as a non-resident, there was a 1.6% chance (17/1049).  Odds are about 10 times better in-state.  42 of the 143 interviewed were accepted, so once an invitation was extended, odds jumped to about 30%.  Obviously things like 10,000 healthcare hours or a terrible letter of recommendation will sway the odds one way or the other, but the residency preference is at least worth noting... 

Does anyone know how many seats they're looking to fill next year (at the new building)?

Where did you get the information that there was only 164 OR residents that applied? Their class profile information does not provide that breakdown

Where did you get the information that there was only 164 OR residents that applied? Their class profile information does not provide that breakdown

Admissions provided the figure: 12-15% of 2014 applicants were OR residents.  For math's sake, I used 13.5%.  13.5% of 1213 (the total number of 2013 applicants) is 164. 

Also on a side not more the half of students entering into OHSU in 2013 and 2011 were out of state, so it just really varies depending on the year and applicant pool.

Either way, going from 13.5% to 50+% is a huge advantage.  (5 year average for data is 22.4 in-staters per 42 person class.)  

• 3 months later...

Archived