2014-2015 Application Cycle

@ Timon, i got the official mail two days after being accepted by e mail, but there was no form to fill. i only recieved the official acceptance letter and another letter on instructions on how to pay the deposit.

Pay the deposit to secure your spot and call Michael Wilson to confirm if there is anything else. They may have changed the process from when I was accepted.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been accepted to another program..... which unluckily was tied on my list at number one with Touro.....now what?!

The class of 2015 had people who turned down acceptances to a variety of PA programs. Some of them were offered scholarships that cut their tuitions in half, others turned down acceptances to their local programs and decided to move out of State to Nevada.

It's a strong program with a 94% first time PANCE rate, 2 faculty members who write for the PANCE, another writes for the USMLE, a program director who won the PAragon Award and ran for AAPA President, and another faculty member who was apart of the 4th graduating PA class at MEDEX.

Not to mention the Mobile Health Clinic, Autopsy Experience, and being able to work at the Shade Tree clinic (a women's shelter). The class size isn't too small (62 students) and TUN's PA program is under the School of Osteopathic Medicine and not Allied Health. You're taught by both PA and DO faculty.

You also have a very forgiving remediation policy. Lastly, there's lots of places and activities to go to blow off steam when you need to get your mind off studying for a bit. The cost of living is cheap too.

Either way I don't think you can go with wrong with either school. And I'm sure you would be making someone very happy one way or another at either program once you make your decision an open a spot up.

Whatever decision you make, whether it's here at TUN or the other program, I'm sure it'll be the right decision for you.

One of your professors is Dr. Larry Sims (a forensic pathologist) who is also the Clark County Coroner / Medical Examiner for the City of Las Vegas.

There is an opportunity for you to pick a day / time that's on a sign-up sheet and go through the pathology at the morgue and observe autopsies to determine what the cause of death is in real police cases.

The guy is a freaking awesome teacher and he'll be there to teach you clinical genetics and nephrology. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cool! What's your name? I wonder if we met, I sat on the left side of the room when we first got there and interviewed 1st and did the tour second

Sorry I took so long! My name is Juliane. I was in the second group of interviews with the tour first, but also sat on the left side of the room. I can only remember a few names from that day and they are mostly from that group so I feel bad!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey I was wondering if anyone has heard back from Touro. I interviewed in December, and for some reason thought Touro was going to send emails out by Feb .13.

I spoke with Michael Wilson and he said they will be making decisions next Tuesday, February 17, and then sending emails out later the same week

Your schedule will be different each session.

Session 1 you're typically in class 10am-3pm M-F with an occasional 8am start. You also get all the Jewish holidays off which means 2-3 days a week during September.

Session 2 picks up a bit more and you're in class from 8-10am-3pm M-F usually out by 12 moon or 3pm Friday's.

Session 3 is very laid back as for course load goes but the hours are the same as session 2 but you get spring break and a few other holidays in there.

Session 4 is very intense usually 8am-5-6pm M-Thursday and out by 3pm Friday's. There's also clinical observations that may start at 6am like for surgery and what not.

Then you start clinical rotations and your hours are dependent upon your preceptor but you can expect to work at least 40 hours a week or 160 hours a month.

I also didn't mention about our mobile clinic which goes out every Wednesday and Thursday to help the homeless and veterans of southern nevada that you can begin in session 2. Those start times are from 6-7am ending at 11am-12noon and then finishing up afternoon classes.

You can also go to the Shade Tree women's shelter and offer care there on Fridays.

The mobile clinic and shade tree are optional for students.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived