Application cycle 2014-2015

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found out today I was invited for an interview!! Just so everyone knows- they will not call or email you to notify you!! They only update your midwestern MWUnet login and it will show under interview scheduling that you are able to schedule an interview. Had I not randomly decided to check it today who knows how long may have gone by before I found out I was invited for an interview. Just a heads up for others applying because I know I assumed they would call/email like most other schools do. Good luck to everyone!!

This just happened to me! So glad I saw your post and decided to check the site. I'm so excited!

When you get to the admissions building you grab a name tag and hang out with the other applicants and a few students. The program director comes in a little bit later and gives a presentation about the school and the program. After that you split into groups, some interview and the rest go on a tour of the campus. The interview was three students and two faculty. After everyone is done you eat lunch (provided) with some PA students. 

Good luck!  

The interview process was very relaxed. It was more of a conversation when I interviewed. I would recommend dressing very professionally though. We had a few during our interview that definitely didn't look the part. The staff is dressed business casual to business formal. The students are very nice and answer any questions you might have.

Yes, you get one group interview session that lasts about an hour. There is a panel of 2 faculty interviewing you and for us there were 3 interviewees in each group. They honestly do their best to calm your nerves from the beginning so as long as you prepare and know why you want to be a PA, you will have a great experience!

Dan, you should be fine - there were students there who said they didn't interview until February and got accepted. We were the first interview session and there were only 10 of us so there are probably no more than 3 or 4 of the 90 spots filled at this point!

skzhong - My stats:

HCE: 400 hours hands on (although 150 of these were updated post-CASPA) - PT internships and CNA in nursing home

HC related: 500 hours teaching life skills to special needs children and adults 

GPA: 3.95 

GRE: 163 (91st percentile) Verbal

161 (81st percentile) Quantitative

4.5 (78th percentile) Analytical

I have finished my prereqs but still have another year of undergrad. I also studied abroad which came up in the interview and was something they seemed to like. I think they are more worried about how your experiences have prepared you rather than a specific number of strictly "hands on" HCE. 

Good luck, hope this helps! 

Going to the interview on Sept. 8! Really excited.

How is everybody getting to the campus? I'm flying in from California, so I'm thinking of getting an airport shuttle to the hotel, then taking a hotel shuttle to Midwestern, and then having another airport shuttle take me back to the airport. Sounds so tedious. Anybody have any experience with this?

I'm thinking of renting a car just to save myself all the hassle, but I'm only 23 so there's a crazy surcharge :/

I would download the Uber app on your phone as a backup.  There's plenty of drivers here in PHX and it's cheaper than a cab.  If you're completely out of luck call me and I'll come get you, 602-614-4295.  Where is the hotel?

Oh wow! Thanks so much :). I wouldn't want to inconvenience you, though. How much would you guess it would cost for an Uber to the airport from Midwestern?

Going to the interview on Sept. 8! Really excited.

How is everybody getting to the campus? I'm flying in from California, so I'm thinking of getting an airport shuttle to the hotel, then taking a hotel shuttle to Midwestern, and then having another airport shuttle take me back to the airport. Sounds so tedious. Anybody have any experience with this?

I'm thinking of renting a car just to save myself all the hassle, but I'm only 23 so there's a crazy surcharge :/

I am doing the same thing since I'm 21! The shuttles aren't too expensive and the hotel shuttles are free so it should work out well:)

When you get to the admissions building you grab a name tag and hang out with the other applicants and a few students. The program director comes in a little bit later and gives a presentation about the school and the program. After that you split into groups, some interview and the rest go on a tour of the campus. The interview was three students and two faculty. After everyone is done you eat lunch (provided) with some PA students. 

Good luck!  

3 prospective students or 3 current students?

So here is my stats.. which are not nearly as great, but I was accepted regardless.

GPA: 3.97

GRE: 53rd percentile on verbal, 55th percentile on quantitive, and 51st percentile writing.

HCE: 500+ hours of emergency room scribing, 100 + hours of shadowing a PA in primary care, and 1,200 hours as a wellness advisor at massage envy

I was also an instructional aide, teaching biochm and gen chm labs.

For my interview, I was just honest. I told them what made me choose this profession and this school versus anthing else. They will ask you follow up questions, and respond appropriately. There is no need to memorize answer, because you will forget them anyway. Just tell them exactly how you are thinking. I think it is easy to differentiate between honsty and cliche. Also, make sure you take full advantage of the current students. They will answer all your questions. And they honestly sold me on this school. You will not have this opportunity again, so don't be nervous. Remember they want you as bad as you want them.

And please dress appropriately! A suit prefered! And ladies modesty is important as well as shoes you can actually walk in.

Hope that helps!

Congrats to all the applicants that have already been accepted!  Also congrats to all who have been invited to interview!  

I applied last year and unfortunately did not get in.  I was wondering if the applicants that have already been accepted could share some suggestions and tips on how they prepared for their interview.  I will be interviewing 9/2 and I look forward to meeting some of you :)

Thanks in advance for any information and/or advice.

Archived