Application cycle 2014-2015

Hi Jeb5369,

Overall, I'm very impressed with the program thus far.  Not going to lie, the program goes at a rather unbelievable pace, but there are tons of faculty and staff there to help you if you struggle.  I love that the entire university is Grad Student only.  It makes your short time there (1 year didactic on campus, 1 year off campus at rotations) feel instantly professional and serious, which is a rather advantageous for us as we are going to be put with real patients 13 months after our first day.

Hospital experience, as in working directly with patients? no. But we have already had multiple Standardized Patient Interactions (which are actors that fake an ailment and you perform a full exam on them while being proctored).  In a couple months, we will be eligible to volunteer for a student based organization called HOME which offers free services to the homeless in Phoenix.  That is a great way to get hands on experience with patients with a supervision of a DO, MD or PA.  Otherwise, you don't see any real patients until you begin your clinical rotations.  To be honest, I wouldn't feel anywhere near comfortable being around real patients as this point.

Hope that helps, let me know of any other questions anyone has!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jeb5369,

Overall, I'm very impressed with the program thus far.  Not going to lie, the program goes at a rather unbelievable pace, but there are tons of faculty and staff there to help you if you struggle.  I love that the entire university is Grad Student only.  It makes your short time there (1 year didactic on campus, 1 year off campus at rotations) feel instantly professional and serious, which is a rather advantageous for us as we are going to be put with real patients 13 months after our first day.

Hospital experience, as in working directly with patients? no. But we have already had multiple Standardized Patient Interactions (which are actors that fake an ailment and you perform a full exam on them while being proctored).  In a couple months, we will be eligible to volunteer for a student based organization called HOME which offers free services to the homeless in Phoenix.  That is a great way to get hands on experience with patients with a supervision of a DO, MD or PA.  Otherwise, you don't see any real patients until you begin your clinical rotations.  To be honest, I wouldn't feel anywhere near comfortable being around real patients as this point.

Hope that helps, let me know of any other questions anyone has!

Is there anything you wish the program had that it doesn't?

While I know waitlisting is not the best news, in Midwestern's world it happens quite common. The great news is that instead of most schools where the faculty waits until the interview season is over to take people off the waitlist, every interview round (so once a month) the faculty will re-review your application with that month's applicants. So in essence, your application will be reviewed roughly 5 more times before March.

I received a letter in the mail today informing me that my application has been put on hold pending a potential invitation for an interview. I've already given up on Midwestern as it seems that their class is pretty much filled. But I thought I'd post this just as an informational post. :) congrats to those of you who have heard back!!

I received a letter in the mail today informing me that my application has been put on hold pending a potential invitation for an interview. I've already given up on Midwestern as it seems that their class is pretty much filled. But I thought I'd post this just as an informational post. :) congrats to those of you who have heard back!!

Hello Rainy,

I received the same letter two days ago as well. I hope we get an interview in the future.  

Archived