Sign in to follow this  

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/06/29/primary-care-shortage-health/11101265/

"• Scope of practice laws. States regulate and license doctors and have been slow to embrace the idea that non-physicians could take over some of the functions. Nurse practitioners and physician assistants should be performing vaccinations and strep tests, Bharucha says."

The error in the above statement is left as an exercise for the reader.

"Health and Human Services spokeswoman Erin Shields Britt says continuing to build the primary care workforce will take time, but she notes President Obama's budget working its way through Congress has several new ways to expand the primary care workforce, which includes nurse practitioners and pediatricians."

I guess that means PAs won't be included?

They probably figure two types of assistants is too many so we'll get rid of MAs and let PAs do the injections.

Again the readers are mislead to thinking NPs are the source to get primary care along with physicians.  This is our PA problem with marketing and with our dependent status.  Rise up, oh PAs and rebel against the mainstream thought that we are assistants.  The collaboration resolution passed in May and I am looking for an official announcement from AAPA.  Has anyone seen one?  What is the next step for PAs?  Are we girded for the discussion with AMA/State medical boards/etc.?

• Upvote 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By cdezPA51
      Question geared towards PAs in the oncology and rheumatology private practice realm - Can a PA be the only provider on site when our nurses are infusing our biologic medications (ie TNF inhibitors, B cell modulators, etc). Some of these medications are technically classified as "chemotherapy." Not sure if there needs to be DIRECT supervision from an MD for this type of infusion/procedure (or can they just be a phone call away). Would this also vary state to state? Any insight would be wonderful!
    • By Sarahava
      Hi gang!  My wife and I are thinking of moving to NV next year and I can't seem to find any solid info on practice laws.  They seem to be favorable overall but it's important to me to maintain a decent scope of practice.  Background: I'm a supporter of OTP (actually, I was a supporter of FPAR), I currently work in CA (not the best state for PA practice, but not the worst), and have worked in NY and VT (which were both great with respect to practice laws.)
      Can anyone provide insight, specifically around things like co-signature, "supervision" and general climate toward PAs?  In CA, we also have to list our collaborating physician's name on every chart we touch and every Rx we right.  Is this the same in NV? 

Thanks!
    • By cmj0233
      Hi everyone,

I am a physician assistant student interested in current legislation issues concerning PA practice in the state of Texas. If anyone has any links to resources regarding this topic I would be very appreciative. I am looking for both current legislation issues concerning PAs as well as legislation that has not passed but that would improve a PAs' scope of practice in the state of Texas.

Thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More