2014-2015 Cycle

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If any of you have not attended an info session yet, and are able to do, I highly recommend them. I'm not sure what the deadlines are this year, but some have said that they found it helpful to attend a sesh prior to finishing the application.

The forum seems a little dead this year, but feel free to ask me any questions/PM me and I will offer you the best advice that I can. As a disclaimer, not everything I say may be 100% correct. But, I remember the stress of the application process like it was yesterday.

I'm from down south, unfortunately I am unable to attend any info sessions. I also do understand that the interviewing process is 2 days long. But, I'm curious about the specifics in regards to the interview, specifically the group section of it?

I'm from down south, unfortunately I am unable to attend any info sessions. I also do understand that the interviewing process is 2 days long. But, I'm curious about the specifics in regards to the interview, specifically the group section of it?

They could change it up every year, but for us, we were put into groups of 3. We discussed an ethical scenario, with two faculty members as moderators. There was some role-playing involved.

Group interviews in general are designed to see how you work with others. They will take note if you overtalk everyone else and throw them under the bus, or if you are so timid that you don't speak up. Be a middle ground person. Don't argue. Be tactful. Be courteous. Acknowledge the validity of others' viewpoints. Find appropriate times to segway. Build on what others have said.

It is very helpful if everyone in the group just takes turns speaking. When you see ahead of time on your paper that day who is in your group interview, go and chat up those applicants so you can all get to know each other.

Thank you very much

They could change it up every year, but for us, we were put into groups of 3. We discussed an ethical scenario, with two faculty members as moderators. There was some role-playing involved.

Group interviews in general are designed to see how you work with others. They will take note if you overtalk everyone else and throw them under the bus, or if you are so timid that you don't speak up. Be a middle ground person. Don't argue. Be tactful. Be courteous. Acknowledge the validity of others' viewpoints. Find appropriate times to segway. Build on what others have said.

It is very helpful if everyone in the group just takes turns speaking. When you see ahead of time on your paper that day who is in your group interview, go and chat up those applicants so you can all get to know each other.

I'm so excited about applying here.  Definitely one of my top schools.  I'm from the south too so I'm unable to attend the info session.  Are there any helpful tips for out-of-state applicants? Looking at their accepted student demographics (http://medicine.utah.edu/physician-assistant-program/program/admissions/index.php ) it looks like they accept quite a few numbers of out-of-states (16 & 22 past two years).  

I know this program is pretty intense, but do you guys still have free time to explore SLC/ do fun things? 

Thanks

I'm so excited about applying here.  Definitely one of my top schools.  I'm from the south too so I'm unable to attend the info session.  Are there any helpful tips for out-of-state applicants? Looking at their accepted student demographics (http://medicine.utah.edu/physician-assistant-program/program/admissions/index.php ) it looks like they accept quite a few numbers of out-of-states (16 & 22 past two years).  

I know this program is pretty intense, but do you guys still have free time to explore SLC/ do fun things? 

Thanks

This year most of my classmates are from in-state.

The program is intense, and such is the nature of any PA program. There is a lot of information to cover and all programs have to meet certain rigorous curriculum requirements to be accredited by ARC-PA.

We still have some time to do fun things. This program is perfectly situated to enjoy the SLC night-life or head up to the mountains for recreation. You still must maintain a study/life balance!

I also ran out of time working on one supplemental question! I hope one sentence of anxiously typed, and thus poor spelling, isn't a deal breaker! : ) Good luck everyone! 

As I recall, there was a question I felt that I didn't answer very well. I think they understand!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived