Out of state unfriendly?

From my understanding, the state of texas has to meet a certain percentage of in state residents before accepting out of state applicants since it is a public university/program. This is the way medical school is in texas as of right now as they have to meet 90% of their students being in state

From my understanding, the state of texas has to meet a certain percentage of in state residents before accepting out of state applicants since it is a public university/program. This is the way medical school is in texas as of right now as they have to meet 90% of their students being in state

This is true for all public PA schools too, which in Texas are all programs except for Baylor

This is true for all public PA schools too, which in Texas are all programs except for Baylor

I don't think that rule applies to graduate programs.  

As far as TTUHSC specifically, there are people from out of state in every class but the mission of this program is to bring providers to the underserved areas of west Texas.  It's the only program in this part of the state, so keep that in mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I am from lea county, a bordering county of texas and as an undergrad student was granted in-state tuition due to a waiver they offer for specific bordering counties. Is it possible they consider people this close to the border as "in state?" I live 5 minutes away from the Texas border but if the school is required to choose mostly texas residents im nervous my chances of getting in are slim to none :/...this will be my 2nd time applying.

Best of luck everyone!

• 1 month later...

There are people from all over the US currently: Minnesota, California, Arizona off the top of my head. Don't be discouraged from applying.

Las Vegas, Kansas, Austin (yes Austin), and Utah just to name a few others. I don't think they are concerned with maintaining a quota. They want the best students/future providers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I attended the first interview this cycle (Nov 13) and was the only out of state student, it was intimidating to say the least. Got my acceptance letter the next day though, thankfully as I'm a reapplicant. With that being said, I truly believe TTUHSC considers all applicants regardless of residency, but most applicants are from Texas anyway so that's why the low acceptance rate from out of state students. Good luck everyone and don't be discouraged if you are an out of state applicant :). I'm from New Mexico btw!

I attended the first interview this cycle (Nov 13) and was the only out of state student, it was intimidating to say the least. Got my acceptance letter the next day though, thankfully as I'm a reapplicant. With that being said, I truly believe TTUHSC considers all applicants regardless of residency, but most applicants are from Texas anyway so that's why the low acceptance rate from out of state students. Good luck everyone and don't be discouraged if you are an out of state applicant :). I'm from New Mexico btw!

I attended the interview on November 20th and received my acceptance the next day as well. I am coming from Arizona. There were only 3 of us from out of state at the interview, but I think, as Liz said, the majority of the students applying are from Texas and that is where the low rate comes from!

• 8 months later...

The truth is that TTU has a west Texas focus. The hope is that students who go through the program, including clinical rotations that are west Texas based will get a job and stay in west Texas. There is probably a preference for west Texas applicants but it's a lot of land mass without a lot of people so most applicants are from elsewhere in Texas or out of state.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Archived