RRT to PA- NBRC registration

I am currently in PA school, but I previously worked as an RRT and I am curious as to whether or not it is helpful at all to maintain my registration with the NBRC after I graduate or if I should let it expire- any advice or insight from other RRTs to PAs?

Guest Paula

I am not an RRT but keep your certification.  I have kept my RD certification active even though I no longer work directly as a dietitian.  It has been helpful in a number of ways including my work with diabetes patients.  

Your RRT may help you in the job especially if you look for something in that field as a PA.  TImes are changing in the areas that PAs work in and I think your area has room for growth for PAs.  

Guest Paula

^^^^ I will now admit my ignorance.....I got you mixed up with Radiology Technicians/Technologists.  However, my comment still applies.  If you enter the specialty of pulmonology/cardiology I would think your credentials will be useful.  AND still room for growth in the PA field. 

Have to love the NBRC. From my research, the only way to keep the RRT is to obtain 30 hrs of respiratory CEUs. While I will be working in pulm/crit care after I graduate, I don't see the benefit in keeping the credential. While I legally cannot say I am a RRT, there is nothing preventing me from saying I was a respiratory therapist on future job applications.

Have to love the NBRC. From my research, the only way to keep the RRT is to obtain 30 hrs of respiratory CEUs. While I will be working in pulm/crit care after I graduate, I don't see the benefit in keeping the credential. While I legally cannot say I am a RRT, there is nothing preventing me from saying I was a respiratory therapist on future job applications.

I was looking around their page and noticed the same thing and was wondering if there wasn't some sort of loophole or was wondering how other RRT to PAs have navigated the CEU requirements.

I was RRT to PA. Let mine go, mainley bc I wouldnt be practicing as an RRT. I did get relicensed in 2008 thinking I might pick up a few shifts here and there in PA school...(we all know thats a ridiculous idea), no CEU required for relicense either, but upkeep what just more education credits. Amd, On the PA job, Didnt do anything RT in the ER...RTs do it. Do you plan to work hours as an RT, less pay than PA, when you can pick those xtra hours up as a PA? Employers def recongize the worth of the experience even if you are all expired!

Archived