Application Cycle 2014-2015

They fill spots based on a point system. So if, based on your interview, you get a certain amount of points, you get offered a spot. If nobody reaches that point limit, then nobody from that group will get an offer. So it depends on how many people exceed the amount of points for an offer and how many of them accept

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly didn't like the interview process at Phila U. I thought it was uncomfortable and didn't allow me to share anything about who I am. I was asked questions like "what are we ranked?" and other irrelevant questions. They really grill you on scenario based questions and you better be confident and firm about your answer or they will bombard you will follow up questions to make you second guess your answer. 

Really? I felt like it was pretty laid back. I had a 2nd year student and Jenny the didactic coordinator interviewed me. Both asked a little about me and did ask plug and chug questions which I wasn't expecting a lot of. I didn't like the open ended ethical questions because I had no idea what they were getting at. But The student PAs were very engaging at the q and A and took notice that I was married and proceeded to ask more about me. I didn't think it was that bad. I felt like they got a good idea about me when I left.

Eyein12:

The first ethical question was to see if you would think on your own (admit Ray) or if you would do as you're told by your SP (send him home). The truth is, he was probably at the beginning stages of alcohol withdrawal, which can be fatal, and most definitely requires hospitalization (if you've ever taken care of an alcohol withdrawal patient, you'd know what I mean).

The second ethical question was to see if you could put aside your feelings and emotions to address a situation with the BEST outcome in terms of saving lives and thinking on your feet at critical times. The older woman wasn't going to survive surgery (I'm not even going to say she MIGHT NOT have survived; she straight-up wouldn't have). Ray, on the other hand, was more likely to survive surgery. The question can be reworded, when you put your emotions aside, as: do you save one person or none?

I also had Jen and a 2nd tear student (I forget his name, but he was from Boyertown, I think, or something like that), and it was very laid back. I tried to keep as much face-time as I could by asking questions at the end, telling them more about myself, and explaining parts of my application that I needed to explain (to those of your who DID have parts of your application that needed explaining, I hope you took the time at the end to explain said items!).

Even though they said there's no right or wrong answer there clearly is a more "right" answer in both instances.  Bottom line is patient welfare vs administrative interests and how you would handle the situation, and unbiased clinical decision making.    

Just FYI "if you ever taken care of an alcohol withdrawal patient, you'd know what I mean" comes off as arrogant.  I assume you didnt intend to come off that way at least Id hope.  I never treated someone for alcohol withdrawal ever and that doesnt mean that I couldnt have come to the same clinical decision you had, which I did anyway.  You dont break procedure just because a person has had the same symptoms over and over again, its bad policy bottom line.  Alcohol withdrawal, although could be right, is merely speculation. 

Even though they said there's no right or wrong answer there clearly is a more "right" answer in both instances.  Bottom line is patient welfare vs administrative interests and how you would handle the situation, and unbiased clinical decision making.    

OMG, yes! There is obviously a "right answer" they are looking for. I thought it was so dumb that they said there is no wrong or right answer. Such lies.

Sorry eyein, I didn't mean it to come off as arrogant :/ I guess I should've put a ":P" after the comment :P I meant it in a joking way, I suppose: my wife (RN, BSN) and I (CNA) have taken care of many alcohol withdrawal patients: some cuss, some are restless, some hit, some bite, etc., and we've both seen what people become and the ridiculous things they do. Bottom line: I'm very sorry for sounding arrogant, I didn't mean to :(

And I should've said "In my opinion," instead of "Truth is," because only time (and lab results) will tell if he was going through withdrawal. I just said what I would've done in that situation. I guess, that's what I personally think is right, although you're right in saying that there is no right answer.

You dont break procedure just because a person has had the same symptoms over and over again, its bad policy bottom line.

What do you mean by this? If you meant "procedure" by admitting or not admitting him, the reason I said admit him was because he hit me, which was a new symptom.

Lol this is being blown way out of proportion. All yall can do is do the interview, be friendly, and be humble. I am barely 22, with very little healthcare experience & i interviewed here. They are looking for much more insightful answers than just using a past healthcare job to answer the question (if they wanted that-they wouldnt have invited me). This is to see what type of person you are, ethically. I may not be one to speak credibly, but i did get many interviews. The best advice is just answer the questions with honesty-no matter what!

I received an acceptance call and email today for the Atlantic City campus. I'm leery of accepting and sending the 2k deposit without a bit more information on this campus. For those of you that interviewed... is anyone else accepting the Atlantic City offer? I'd love to talk to you! 

I received an acceptance call and email today for the Atlantic City campus. I'm leery of accepting and sending the 2k deposit without a bit more information on this campus. For those of you that interviewed... is anyone else accepting the Atlantic City offer? I'd love to talk to you! 

I was also accepted to the Atlantic City campus and want to find out more information about it too!

• 4 weeks later...

I received a call about two weeks ago that they were interested in having me interview in December or maybe January (the date isn't set yet) for their waitlist or AC campus since the spots in the PA campus are all tentatively filled. They said they would send information once they have set the date but I have not heard anything yet.  Has anyone else received a similar call? Anyone get more information after the call?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived