start 2015 (class of 2017)

Hi guys!

Since I'm working on my application now, I thought I'd start a thread. Where are y'all on your applications, and when are you hoping to get them submitted by? Who are you getting your LORs from? How are your grades/GRE scores/clinical hours? And the question I'm probably most interested in: Why did you pick Methodist to apply to?

Hi CSCH - Congratulations on deciding to become a PA and beginning your applications to schools. While I am not currently applying (I have been accepted to the Class of 2016), I thought I would reply to your questions and hopefully provide you with a little guidance. Submit your application as soon as possible. I would say this applies to all schools, not just Methodist. Your chances of getting an invitation and a slot in their upcoming class do increase. The later you apply, the less interview slots they have.

I got my LORS from a PA who I shadowed, a nursing supervisor, and a biology professor. Absolutely get one from a PA.

My GREs were slightly above average (cumulative score of 315, I believe). To be quite honest, my grades were not stellar my first time through undergrad. I was a B average student. When I decided to become a PA, I went back to school for the prerequisite courses and did much better. My final science GPA was probably around 3.4-3.5.

I picked Methodist since I live in North Carolina and wanted to stay in the area. Methodist quickly became my first choice when I visited for an informational session. The campus is beautiful and they had just recently built a cadaver lab. By that point, I had visited several schools and Methodist's cadaver lab was the best I had ever seen. People who attend Methodist love the curriculum and the professors, and their high PANCE pass rates are indicative of a very strong program. When I narrowed my school choices, I focused on my program's location, the quality of their facilities, and a very high PANCE pass rates. Methodist has all three of these. 

Hope this helps with your application!

Thanks, SweetTooth, that's really helpful.

How long had you been shadowing your PA before they wrote your LOR? I'm in an awkward position right now because I just moved, my previous shadowing experiences were short-term, and I'm trying to find PAs to shadow near to where I'm living now.

Also, did you get a feel for how Methodist weights experience vs grades? I'd love to get my app in ASAP, but what's holding me back right now is that I'm just now starting a job as a nurse aide, and I want to have a nice chunk of hours on my application at the time of submission to prove my dedication. However, my GRE and grades are definitely my strong point, and I'm wondering if having the job (it's full time) is enough and I should just turn my application in as soon as I can.

Hi CSCH -

Methodist really took into account everything, I don't think any one particular part of the application was weighted more than others. 

How much work experience (clinical experience) do you have right now?

When I moved, I had difficulty finding a PA to shadow too. I found one through my volunteering experience and he was very supportive of my decision to become a PA. I shadowed him sporadically for over a year - I enjoyed it so much that I would run over to the hospital in between my classes. I bet if you ask the PA's you shadowed if they would write a LOR for you, at least one of them would. PA's are by nature a very supportive group.

My advice is for you to apply. The worst thing that could happen is that you do not get an interview and you lose out on some money, but, it lets your school know that you're interested. Then you can apply the following year (by then, you would have lots of clinical hours as a nurse's aide). If you aren't a strong candidate now, you very soon will be. 

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm just now starting work, as in I'm doing orientation tomorrow, so I technically don't have any clinical hours at all yet. I'm going to submit my application once I can put down at least a few hours, and then detail how many hours I expect to complete. I have no doubt I can get in the 500 they require by July 15.

I'll be submitting my application with crossed fingers. Hopefully good academics will be enough to get me an interview, and then it's up to me to impress them in person! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to come back and touch base! I submitted my application at the end of July. Within a few days, I received a confirmation email that my application had been received and that I am missing two items to be considered complete - my final LOR and I need to complete medical terminology. I am currently taking it online through UNE and plan to finish by the end of the month. After that, I guess the real waiting begins.

Hoping to hear others respond about their applications! I believe interviews usually start in September... 

Yes, mine is in. I submitted around the end of June or beginning of July. I got a similar email shortly thereafter indicating that they knew I was planning to complete my clinical hours and medical terminology.

I'm applying to six schools, and I'd say half have indicated they've received my application and half haven't. This waiting is painful already!

@CSCH Right?! The waiting. And I know I can look through all the schools and see that everyone has to wait, but it doesn't make it any easier. 

I looked at the site again to re-familiarize myself with their handy "Step by Step Admissions Process". Which is probably the coolest thing ever and I haven't seen ANY other school offer as much detail as Methodist does. Anyway, it said they hold monthly interview sessions. Did anyone receive an invite for an August interview group? Or possibly a September one already? They state they notify you 3-4 weeks in advance.

Just being nosy :) 

I received an invitation on the 11th of August for a September interview but turned it down due to my commitment to attend another program. I submitted my CASPA early in June, so I think they might be just starting the interview process. Good luck, hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

@RC36 thanks for the info! Greatly appreciate it!

I emailed them last week to confirm that they had received my last LOR. Also to update them that I am still working on finishing med terminology. Got a quick response that everything is received. And it sounds like my application hasn't been reviewed yet. So the waiting continues....

• 2 months later...

@KAT1229 Thanks for the info! I submitted my application at the end of July and I'm still waiting to hear back. I want nothing else but to get accepted, but it seems my college years are just too much for admissions committees to look past. I got a rejection from Wingate a few weeks ago. I have a feeling that I need to start from square one and just take a break for awhile and take classes to increase my GPA. But! I've still got my hopes up about Methodist. It's hard...this whole process bases your work ethic and capabilities off of what you look like on paper. I wish I had been more focused in college!!! No time for what ifs though.

Best of luck to everyone as we all continue to wait to hear back! My fingers are crossed so I can show them my brilliant and engaging personality! Lol ;))))

Well, the feeling I got from Methodist was that they take a more holistic approach to choosing applicants.  Of course, grades/GRE matter a lot, but they also like leadership, and interesting extra curricular experiences, etc, and they like to have a diverse student body.  

I wish everybody good luck.  I really like the instructors and the administrators here.  Very much a family feeling here.

Kat

MUPAP

Class o' 2016

• 5 weeks later...

I have been going back and reading some of the responses that are a part of the thread "Ask a PA Admissions Director", since that is the Methodist director. She has stated that they don't send out rejection letters till May 1, when all final decisions are made. So I am trying to stay optimistic!

I started a new job a few months ago as a medical assistant in prominent vascular surgery office here in Atlanta, GA. I work with some really fantastic surgical PAs and it's really put even more fire in my heart and mind about becoming a PA. I've learned so much getting to work with them, and Methodist is my top choice.

All that being said, it looks like interviews have started up again. Anyone else heard anything?  :) 

Sorry, it's been so long since I checked back with y'all.  Kvconnol, congrats on your interview invite.  I found the interview experience at Methodist to be very relaxed and welcoming.  To describe it as intense would be completely inappropriate.  My experience that day was the reason I chose this school.  You're going to do great!

Kat

MUPAP

Class o' 2016

Archived