CASPA 2014-2015/Class of 2017

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to chime in, when I interviewed in September, we got to sit in on a Differential Diagnoses group discussion and one of the case studies was about a sexually active teenager. They just discussed the issue as I would guess a religiously-neutral program would and there was no slant toward Catholic beliefs. I too am not Catholic and don't foresee that being an issue with this program. I am still considering it fully upon my acceptance.

I talked to a handful of students about this issue, and they all confirmed that the Catholic thing had zero effect upon their academic and clinical work.  However, the Ethics course is taught by a priest and is geared from a Catholic perspective.  As long as you're ok with that aspect, I don't imagine this would be an obstacle for non-Catolics in the program. 

For me, the best part about the program was how nice and down to earth all the staff was. We were being shown an incredibly high-tech, fully stocked education building with cadaver labs and simulation rooms, but then when it was time to interview it was like sitting down with a trusted teacher and just chatting about life. It was very clear that they just wanted to make sure you are a good fit and would be comfortable going there. Much less pressure than at other interviews I've attended.

High ranking program. Top caliber facilities. Small town, friendly staff. It was great.

I should add that I was planning to turn down my interview at Desales because i had been accepted at a school closer to home. My wife convinced me to get out there and get more interview practice in, in case I got an interview at another school I was interested in. Good thing she did, because now I couldn't be happier to be going to Desales next summer.

mpsil, I was wondering the same thing. I heard Bethlehem is a prime location to live. Maybe we should start a Facebook group for accepted students to start the whole process. Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear back!

Yes! Great idea... would you mind starting it? I don't go on facebook very often so I wouldn't be up to date with adding others to the group

After a lot of deliberation I have decided to decline my acceptance. Good luck everyone!

May I ask, what are your reasons? It's an awesome program, in a lot of ways. I'm trying to weigh DeSales against Penn State at this point. As much as my wallet screams at the thought of turning away from $1000, I was blown away by the PSU program. Any thoughts, here or pm, would really be helpful. Thanks!

Do you guys think that applying this late in the cycle will be worth it? its seems like they got started really early and may have the class filled? Any knowledge about the class size.

They just ramped up to 80. Your odds have never been better. But only admissions can advise you properly on that now...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Would anyone who has been accepted be interested in a medical trip to Guatemala this summer before class starts? I'm looking to go to Guatemala with an organization called Mayan medical aid for 2-4 weeks. Each day is 3-4 hours of learning medical Spanish and every afternoon you see indigenous Mayan Indians in a clinic. You get hands on experience, get to learn and practice Spanish and we'd get to bond as a group before classes start.

If anyone knows someone who was accepted and isn't on here or doesn't check the forum regularly but would be interested, send them my way!

Can't wait to start school and meet everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived