So I had posted the topic "asking for a raise"... and well I ended up applying for an accepting another job, but after I told my current employer I was leaving I recieved an email telling me that I will need to pay back 2 years worth of my DEA fee becuase I was only working there for a year and it is good for 3. Is this normal practice? Also I was told I had to pay back 8 months worth of by AAPA membership fees. So all said and done I will have to pay like $600 which he plans to take out of my last paycheck. Since this is my first time leaving a job, I don't know if this is standard practice. I do mention that I was allowed up to $1000 a year for CME, which I have only used like $140 total (for my AAPA membership) over my past year there of which was supposed to be from CME money. So I don't understand how he can take that back at this point.

Is not a standard unless stipulated in the basic employment contract.

Most places that pay for these things consider it a cost of doing business and understand that each practitioner may leave during the license active period.

Sorta chintzy on the employers part.

• Administrator

Just checked your other post... Yep, you're female.

You need to tell him in no uncertain terms that it's not happening.  Don't mince words. "Withholding money from my paycheck unilaterally and without an agreement to do so would constitute theft.  I'm sure that's not what you intended, so best wishes writing contracts with more specific termination clauses for your next employee."

Don't let male providers use gender-dominant communication styles, conflict preferences, and power disparities to deprive you of the money you're entitled to.  Unless you've made some big oversight in what the employment contract actually states, he's trying to bully you.  It's unprofessional and illegal; don't let it happen to you.

Fight back. Get your money back. You made him lots of Money. He's upset because you want to leave. Seen this behavior many times. Clearly, your SP will not give you good reference given this behavior. Play it smart. And, welcome to the politics side of medicine.

Actually my SP physician has been very accommodating and has offered to give me a good reference. It's the office administrator that is out of control and one of the major reasons I'm leaving. When I asked for raise and gave him data from aapa he told me that I'm not worth that much and he knows a behavioral therapist who has a masters degree and she only make $40k a year so I'm lucky to be getting my horribly low $28 an hour salary. I'm not even sure how he could make that comparison, but that's the mentality that I'm dealing with. In fact when I told my sp that I was leaving he offered to tell administrator for me to try to guard me from administrators impending blow up on me. Even he knows this man is out of control, but they let him get away with whatever.

Guest Paula

Actually my SP physician has been very accommodating and has offered to give me a good reference. It's the office administrator that is out of control and one of the major reasons I'm leaving. When I asked for raise and gave him data from aapa he told me that I'm not worth that much and he knows a behavioral therapist who has a masters degree and she only make $40k a year so I'm lucky to be getting my horribly low $28 an hour salary. I'm not even sure how he could make that comparison, but that's the mentality that I'm dealing with. In fact when I told my sp that I was leaving he offered to tell administrator for me to try to guard me from administrators impending blow up on me. Even he knows this man is out of control, but they let him get away with whatever.

Which only goes to show the SP has no control or say over the matter.  Stand up to the administrator and do not allow him to take advantage of you.  Do you know a lawyer?  

Start you new job soon

be aware, that most times the state you live in has pretty defined laws on pay which prevents exactly this type of thing

I would call the state agency that handles pay issues - have a nice conversation with them, take notes, ask for references of the law and statue......

return to the doc, and in a professional way state that you are unwilling to accept a reduction in your final paycheck and that you have already spoken to the state and in fact it would be illegal for his practice to withhold funds from your final paycheck.

If he sides with the office manager hand him 2 pieces of paper, one your resignation - effective immediately, and 2 a formal complaint to the state for violation of labor practices. 

Seriously it is BS that they are even trying this with you.

Your SP offered to give you a good reference? Don't believe him. I won't.

He sent his administrator to low ball you, pay you chicken change, cut overhead and guess who's laughing to the bank? Your SP. He enjoys that his administrator is out of control (translation = aggressively saving the practice $$$ by cutting overhead).

Wakeup my friend. For the last time. Welcome to the politics side of medicine.

Guest Paula

What's really concerning to me is that I have seen this all to often and it does not make me trust physicians.  Sad isn't it? Also I  don't trust administrators much either nor the government.  I've changed a lot in my views on all three the last 10 years of PA practice.  I've learned how to advocate for MYSELF and do not trust the physician to negotiate anything for me. 

Politics......ugh. 

Yes, I had a similar situation years ago.  Practice hired a real asshole administrator who proceeded to do the physicians' dirty work.  Cut our pay and benefits, increased hours worked, pressured us to inappropriately code in our billing to make more $$$$ for the practice.  Not only did I walk out, but the other PA did as well as the two RNs.  And yes, we were all female. 

There is no need to tolerate this kind of treatment.

Archived