"Readable" textbooks for medicine

Hello. I am a bit bogged down with textbooks for the moment and was wondering if anyone knew of any textbooks (internal med) that were easy or even enjoyable reads? I am talking about books like Swansons Family Review or the Medmaster (made redic simple) type books that are good for actual practice and an enjoyable read. Thanks for any any suggestions.

Hello and thanks for the suggestions.  I actually have read almost all the case files and step up and own CMDT.  I am looking for books that are better for clinical practice than school.  I do agree Case Files are excellent and also like CMDT, but I would love something good to sit down and read and enjoy, CMDT is great but hard to sit and read, it is more of a reference or study type book.  Again thanks all for the suggestions and any more please let me know.

problem solving in clinical medicine by Paul Cutler.

I read this book (last edition available is 1998, I think), in the mid-70s.. and couldn't put it down.. he presents maybe 70-100 patients, one at a time, and as each patients history was presented, I remember thinking "hey!, I have seen that patient!".

he then goes on and explains the data gathering THINKING (not merely the collecting), and the genesis of a focused differential.

Is sorta a classic.

you will not regret reading it.

I like Symptom to Diagnosis, an evidence based guide, 2nd edition out now (2009), 3rd edition out this fall.

I used it to prepare for my last PANRE.

http://www.amazon.com/Symptom-Diagnosis-Evidence-Clinical-Medicine/dp/0071496130/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402750530&sr=8-1&keywords=symptom+to+diagnosis

Since I practice EM, I like the Case Files series EM and I especially like Bouncebacks, Emergency Dept Cases: ED Returns.

Avoiding Common Errors In The ED and Urgent Care Emergencies, Avoiding the Pitfalls are 2 other good books, though a bit on the dry side (lots of text, little graphics or pics).

I have Ferri's Best Test.

I think it is a cool little handbook that packs a lot of great info. I would give it 2 thumbs up especially practicing in an office, general med or internal med.

It is divided into 3 parts:

1. Diagnostic imaging-  explains the indication for the test, why you get it, what results to look for

2. Diagnostic lab-gives normal values, disorders assoc with test, how to interpret and basic mechanics of test

3. Diseases and disorders- Correlating the above 2 sections and provides flowcharts on working towards a diagnosis

I think this handbook would be essential for a student on rotations and a great reference for any practitioner to refer to for more specialized tests or to refresh on how to diagnose some more uncommon disease states.

G Brothers PA-C

• 1 month later...

problem solving in clinical medicine by Paul Cutler.

I read this book (last edition available is 1998, I think), in the mid-70s.. and couldn't put it down.. he presents maybe 70-100 patients, one at a time, and as each patients history was presented, I remember thinking "hey!, I have seen that patient!".

he then goes on and explains the data gathering THINKING (not merely the collecting), and the genesis of a focused differential.

Is sorta a classic.

you will not regret reading it.

St George's University Mourns the Loss of Dr. Paul Cutler WgQiBDh.gif Sounds like this guy was brilliant!

Archived