New Grad Outpatient Offer- HELP!

NEED ADVICE as to if this is a fair offer!!!!

Privately owned new Urgent Care facility losing a PA (due to long commute) 10 minutes from where I will be living in GA. Benefits were posted as "robust," but they don't seem so to me. Trying to get a feel for if this is still a good offer for a recent grad. I have already verbally expressed my desire to work here and am on the schedule in August, but I have yet to sign the contract because I have some hesitations.

-$47.50/hr

-12 hour shifts during weekdays, 9 hours on weekends with some weekend time required (no big deal to me). I choose how many shifts/month at start of job and set schedule with other PA. I'm already on the schedule for August and have requested 15 shifts/month.

-Pt load ~28/12 hour shift

-$1000 CME/year

-NO coverage for medical license fees, DEA fees, or AAPA fees. I thought this was pretty standard.

-50% health insurance for me/probably family as well as determined by Aetna; no mention of dental;

-IRA

-vague mention of productivity bonuses

-NO PTO, sign on bonus, or relocation expenses

-can terminate employment with 90 days notice

-NO overtime...

I'm really disappointed in the "robust" benefits as I am the primary provider for myself, my husband, and my soon to be baby. 50% of health insurance is the lowest I've heard of. I also thought providing license fees, and DEA fees was standard, and PTO typical. In addition, it was my understanding that it is illegal not to provide overtime to PAs (http://www.gfrlaw.com/pubs/GordonPubDetail.aspx?xpST=PubDetail&pub=177).

I feel the pay is on par, but does not compensate for the lack of benefits. Am I being too picky?? I really like the position and am excited to work there, but I don't want to be undersold.

Thanks in advance for responses!

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't look attractive at all.  Assuming you will be working the equivalent of full time, your benefits are awful.  High pt load, low CME, no licensing fees, and awful health insurance coverage...

Thanks for your feedback. The patient load seems quite manageable to me for urgent care (2 patients/hour roughly). The family medicine clinics I rotated in were much higher. Is urgent care usually that much slower?

Thanks for your feedback. The patient load seems quite manageable to me for urgent care (2 patients/hour roughly). The family medicine clinics I rotated in were much higher. Is urgent care usually that much slower?

I am only answering to the UC pt load because I am starting PA school in August. I shadowed an Urgent Care PA for a long time and at her busiest times she had 3-4 patients an hour and she was the lone provider in the clinic working 12 hour shifts. 

Archived