Best question banks for pance - help please

Hey guys!

Does anyone have recommendation regarding practice questions and exams online? I want to use those questions not only to test my knowledge but also to increase my speed at test-taking, and get used to long computer exams. I looked at paeasy, lange Q&A, mcgraw hill, but can't figure out which one to buy.  Does anyone know or have any other Q-banks in mind that you guys found best matched the PANCE? Which one is the best? 

ps. taking my 2nd packrat today... wish me luck :D

Let me start by saying that no review book or question bank was anything like the PANCE. It is its own weird animal. I just passed it with a comfortable margin - fairly similar score to my PACKRAT. Here is what I did...I studied every day (even on the weekend) and did one online review course (Rutgers/UMDNJ). Then I did loads of questions. Questions help you think critically and highlight your weaknesses. The RUTGERS/UMDNJ lecture course and overall that was a good review if you like listening to lectures and using power points (that works better for me than just using a review book). They also have a nice set of questions. I also used the question bank from the Davis book (Davis's PA Exam Review: Focused Review for the PANCE and PANRE). There are loads of questions in the book and it comes with a CD of questions. Good luck to you!!

I think the PACKRAT is the most similar to the PANCE, and therefore the most helpful.

When I had to take the PANCE I also used Exam Master. It was a good test bank, but the questions really were more targeted to the USMLE than PANCE. I remember one Exam Master question asked me to read a FISH test to determine how to treat my breast cancer patient. I barely knew what a FISH test was, and had no clue how to read one. And I still can't read one, and probably never will have that need in a Family Practice Clinic!

When I was at the Boston AAPA conference, I stopped and took most of the exam question software for a spin.

I came away with several impressions:

1. Most of the software and questions were a distillation of USMLE prep which is a bigger market for these companies to focus on. They seem to be extending their product by modifying it to reach the PA market. Does that distillation equate in being able to pass the PANCE/PANRE though?

2. PA easy and PANCE Master marketed themselves as being written by PAs who have had some association with the exam in the past, whether they were item writers or faculty at programs don't know because they failed to list whom contributed the questions. If you go to the PANCE Master site, their video makes me feel like I am storming Omaha beach but I found the sparse info a concern.

3. Rosh Review had a nice 2 part component to it, primary question with rationale for answer followed by associated reinforcing question and rationale. They also state PAs write the exam questions but dont state whom. 

4. Exam Master had the ability to make notes and flashcards and seemed the most robust of all, but does one need all that?

5. I walked away impressed by some features of some products but not enough to encourage someone to part with their money for one above the others. Answering 5 questions out of 1000-2000 possibilities does not give a good representation of the content. 

6. All gave a money back guarantee or use our software till you pass guarantee. I dont believe there are any studies but plenty of anecdotal experience that these test banks help but those with this experience seem to discount their overall preparation over the course of the last 2 years prior to taking this exam!

7. The AAPA/PAEA Review book is $60 and you get access to an online bank of ??s. They also list contributors and reviewers.

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

I think the PACKRAT is the most similar to the PANCE, and therefore the most helpful.

When I had to take the PANCE I also used Exam Master. It was a good test bank, but the questions really were more targeted to the USMLE than PANCE. I remember one Exam Master question asked me to read a FISH test to determine how to treat my breast cancer patient. I barely knew what a FISH test was, and had no clue how to read one. And I still can't read one, and probably never will have that need in a Family Practice Clinic!

I found this to be quite true

However I felt that there was much more to be gained by going over the correct and incorrect answers and the explanations versus a test of knowledge

As another of the posters have said it's own animal no review book/course will prepare you for the exam (you should be relying on your training) however in regards to question prep I found the PANCE to be significantly easier then Kaplen Exam master. And the UMDNJ course adequate as a quick review.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Curious - why is PAEasy so bad/to be avoided?  Questions too simplistic, not representative of true PANRE content?  Or something else?  I'm considering buying a month or two to ROSH Review, although Kaplan Q-Bank is still in the running as well.  Any thoughts/feedback on those?  How about this PA Life guy's PA Academy PANCE/PANRE prep course?

I take the test in two months so I don't have the time for something involved or the need for 12 month access.  Having been in ED/UC since graduation, I feel like my knowledge base is still solid though.  I also sat through one review course already, but not sure how much I absorbed as a 4-day review conference just gets mind-numbing after a while!  Still have the manual and plan to review that when I'm able, though. 

• Administrator

Curious - why is PAEasy so bad/to be avoided?  Questions too simplistic, not representative of true PANRE content?  Or something else?  I'm considering buying a month or two to ROSH Review, although Kaplan Q-Bank is still in the running as well.  Any thoughts/feedback on those?  How about this PA Life guy's PA Academy PANCE/PANRE prep course?

When I used it in the 2011-2012 time frame, it was too error-prone to be reliable.  I hear they've completely redone it, but I still haven't heard "boo" from all the feedback I gave them at the time--detailed explanations, with references, of why their answers were incorrect.  My email address hasn't changed...

Archived