Unable to pay for PA school

I have recently been accepted into an out of state undergraduate PA program. But, the price is pretty steep and I would like to hear from others as to what I might be able to do.

Issues:

• Out of state tuition is $706 a credit
  • 56 credits will be taken over the course of the next year ($39,536)
  • I currently am taking advantage of the pell grant ($7,600), stafford loan (~$12,000), and have been awarded a scholarship worth $3,000.
  • This leaves me with $16,936 in tuiton alone, no fees are included
  • I have not been awarded any other scholarships that I have applied for online (fastwebs, niche, etc.)
  • The instituiton will not grant me in state tuiton
  • NHCSP will not pay for an undergrad program
  • The PA scholarships through the military will not pay for an undergrad program
  • I have been denied loans due to lack of credit, parents are unable to cosign due to financial obligations (no other family to ask)
  • I have contacted many head hunting companies for tuition payments but they will only pay for SENIOR year if I sign a contract with them

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I worked very hard to get this seat into this program and I would hate to lose it over financial issues.

I agree with above. Options:

1. Actively talk with the University financial aid department working with the pa program. Don't assume they can't help because Wells Fargo and sm turned you down. Your not the first student with this problem

2. Look to all branches of military and guard. Don't just look, talk to the medical recruiter of each. Actively talk to them. Don't assume what applies to one applies to all.

3. Fix your credit and reapply when it's fixed and you can get a loan. Lack of credit would be an odd denial in the academic world. Bad credit, however wouldn't be. Check your credit score on all three reporting groups and see what it is. 400 bad. 700 or above ok. 730 or above better.

4. Look to state institutions.

5. I doubt any institution will change policy for you. They have accreditation bodies that would not accept that. Can't do for one and not all.

Bottom line, you need to map thing out and make a plan. You'll either discover you can do it this year or you'll have to go on a two to three year plan to make it happen. If you want it, find a way. Just realize it might not be as fast as you'd like.

Oh, the average tuition (turn key) in PA school is about $70,000. Plan on that. And realize it doesn't include housing, transportation, food, etc.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your under 26 you can get a parent plus loan. This will use your parents credit and it will be taken out in their name, but will be applied towards your tuition

He said his parents are unable to cosign loans due to other financial obligations so they probably can't go that route either.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tough situation. Things like this are exactly why I opened up my first credit card at 17 to build up my credit history. Definitely talk to a financial aid advisor and see what they recommend. Work study might be an option if you can manage PA school + part time work. I am guessing you don't have a bachelor's yet considering the fact that you received some federal grants so attending a graduate program might set you back time wise but if you can't find any other solutions that may be the only way.

The only other things I can think of are joining the reserves or ROTC or using something like Upstart: https://www.upstart.com/borrow?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brand&utm_term=upstart&gclid=CKjIjdTI7r4CFQWTfgodhaQAvg

Best of luck.

Here's something I strongly believe in. You will ALWAYS get your needs met. If it's something you NEED you'll find a way. Money should never stop you from doing anything. It's the WANTS that never get met because you don't put in the energy to find a way.

Money is a commodity in my opinion. It's everywhere you just have to look. This is why the rich get richer...they know where to look. Best of luck and don't let this issue set you back

Having a credit card as a teenager would've in no way gotten him the credit for this. Not saying its a bad idea but wouldn't be enough.

I sympathize for you and if it weren't for my mom signing for my parent plus I couldn't have afforded either. It sounds like you have exhausted most options. There is always community college and then finish at university and enter a traditional graduate PA program. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to lose this seat you earned but just know this doesn't mean you won't do well going undergrad first then applying and going to a grad program. I wish I had better advice for you. As others suggested get on the phone with every military branch and see if someone can cut you a deal. Other thing to look into is Indian health service and see if they do scholarships.

Just want to add, we were all able to borrow 20,500 specifically, total government laons for each year, some w/ subsidy, some without, but still government funded. The rest I did private medical loans from Chase (no longer loaning). Search for them, prob require credit. But the school pretty much put the packagae together except for some. Inquire with your school pronto! Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's responses.  The military is unwilling to help because I am in a Bachelor's program and the Navy specifically requires the MSPAS degree.  I am currently looking into upstart so thank you Aiviphung for that information.  I recently applied for in state tuition and was denied but wrote an appeal letter. Unfortunately the same gentleman that denied me the in state tuition the first time will be screening the appeals so it does not look so good on that end but I am actively trying! I am very appreciative of everyone's opinions and help in this matter.  

Archived