Overall, I'm a bit older, mature enough, and smart-ish enough (I personally think? 3.7something GPA or something) to get into PA school. Lots of volunteer experience to show commitment to the community. 2000+ hours of PCE/HCE as a CNA.

Thing is, I'lI have little to no PA shadowing experience when I want to apply to schools mid July. Obviously, I mentioned in my PS that I will continue to work as a ICU CNA and gather more shadowing experience as the year progresses, but could having barely any shadowing experience still make one a competitive applicant?? Because all the key aspects I mention about the profession in my PS (flexibility! balance!) are qualities that I've heard about but may only have limited experience observing by the time it comes to submitting my app in July.

I had 0 shadowing...and had no problems. If the school, however, says you must have some shadowing, then it is a different story. Nobody says you have to have 100s of hours of shadowing. Do it for 8 hours and be done. Your working in the hospital should make it relatively easy.

Good luck!

While you might get into PA school without shadowing, you might be taking too large a leap of faith. Regardless of the profession, many people go into jobs that they really didn't have a very good understanding of at the time.

Shadowing only shows you one or two PA jobs, but that might be enough to give you a sounder basis for making the decision.

I first saw a PA when I did ER time as part of basic EMT school. I couldn't tell the difference between him and one of the doctors. There are differences and knowing them (and being willing to embrace or accept them, to some degree) was critical to me being confident enough to leave my life in business to go back to school.

Good luck on your journey.

You should be perfectly fine. 

Overall, I'm a bit older, mature enough, and smart-ish enough (I personally think? 3.7something GPA or something) to get into PA school. Lots of volunteer experience to show commitment to the community. 2000+ hours of PCE/HCE as a CNA.
Thing is, I'lI have little to no PA shadowing experience when I want to apply to schools mid July. Obviously, I mentioned in my PS that I will continue to work as a ICU CNA and gather more shadowing experience as the year progresses, but could having barely any shadowing experience still make one a competitive applicant?? Because all the key aspects I mention about the profession in my PS (flexibility! balance!) are qualities that I've heard about but may only have limited experience observing by the time it comes to submitting my app in July.

Archived