Does anyone know if adcoms are aware that you are re-applying to their program? There's obviously a chance that a committee member might remember reading through your essay or a previous interview, but I'm wondering why the designation portion in CASPA asks whether you are re-applying or not.

Ohhhh yes. We keep files and compare them. The admissions staff screens out reapplicants and marks those files. Adcoms have long memories it seems.

Reapplicants are not necessarily in bad shape--but you should know that we scrutinize these files to see what you have done differently, improved on etc since the last application. And please don't submit the same PS verbatim...mix it up a bit.

• Upvote 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By prepa200k
      Hi! First I want to say I’m new to this forum but from looking at many posts I really enjoy how friendly everyone is 

I wanted to see other’s opinions about PCE as an Ophthalmic Assistant (COA). I believe this does qualify at many school for PCE, but I was wondering if, because a COA is all about optometry, does it make any less valuable? I have the option of doing an MA program or this COA program, but I’m more interested in the COA (and it’s cheaper). Of course I do want to be as competitive as possible, so does being an MA working in many specialities and around general general medicine more valuable to PA programs than a COA who is only around optometrists/ophthalmologists? 
    • By Naonu1
      Hello everyone,
      I am new to this site and I would really appreciate if I can receive advice. I have an undergraduate GPA of 3.045 right now this is prior to my spring semester grades being placed in and I project my GPA to raise but I guess not much since I will mostly have A's and B's. I am also graduating in December so I have one more semester. What makes me nervous is that Yale requires prereq's that I don't have yet (Micro, A&P I AND II, and Biochem) but I have the statistics portion. Luckily, Yale doesn't require any labs for the prereq's. Yale's minimum GPA req is a 2.8 however, CASPA hasn't calculated my GPA yet and based on what I've heard a CASPA gpa is way lower than your transcript gpa and I want to be competitive. 
      Not to mention that I am a psychology major which is already not the usual biology/chem. My major (science undergraduate) is a 3.5. 
      My plans were this summer to take these classes at a community college while completing classes towards finishing my degree at my usual university. The reason for this is due to COVID-19 and my school deciding to continue remote learning via ZOOM. My university doesn't have the best science professors from what I heard and what I seen (taking chem which I got an A in). I figured community college whose curriculum is already set up as online would be much easier for me to pick u in and CHEAPER of course. I say all of this to ask if it makes since to put myself through all of this in the summer if I may not get an interview based on the fact that my regular GPA is 3.0 and even if I take all of these classes and receieve a 4.0 I doubt my CASPA gpa will be raised by that much.
      My PCE (Paid) is 2000. 
    • By chloepilgrim
      Hi There,
      I am in the process of a career switch and I was wondering what everyone thought my chances are of getting into a PA program.
      I graduated undergrad with a BA in psychology and a BS in neuroscience. In undergrad, I tutored Biology for a year. 
      My cumulative GPA was 3.5 and science GPA is 3.1 (I got C's organic chemistry + lab, and biochemistry + lab)
      I thought I wanted to become a researcher and so I entered a Neuroscience PhD program. Though after a year I decided I wanted to pursue a clinical route (research is too lonely) and switched into a Pharmacology Masters Program. I graduated with a graduate GPA of 3.2 and have taken classes such as physiology, gross anatomy (cadaver dissection) lotssss of pharmacology classes, neuroscience/psychology courses, and a very intense Neurology course alongside medical students.
      I also graduated with 5.5 years of research experience and a thesis that is *hopefully* going to be published.
      I am currently a medical assistant and plan on doing about 3000 patient contact hours before applying to PA school. I was wondering what the chances are of me getting into a PA program even though my graduate GPA is quite low and my undergraduate science GPA is also low.
      Thanks
    • By IsaiahRW
      Hey everyone, I am a recent college graduate (December 2018) and I have been interested in PA for about 3 years now and with my recent graduation I’m sure you all can relate to the panick of the uncertainty of my life that I just stepped into 😂.  I’ve mostly been curious about my competitiveness for this upcoming cycle (2019-2020). Here are my stats  
      Overall GPA:3.494 
      sGPA: 3.54
      Last 60 hours: 3.65 
      Side Note: I initially had a 2.8 GPA freshmen year and worked my tail off to get where I am now. After I transferred to a new school beginning Junior year I made 24 A’s to 7 B’s with no C’s or D’s.  I know schools take into account upward trends and if that isn’t one then I don’t know what is!
      HCE/PCE:By time of application will have have about 750 hours with 300 being a Home Health Aid and 450 as a PT Aide. For schools who do not have rolling admissions I will wait until about late July to apply so that would bring me to around 1000 hours  
      LOR: Gastrointestinal Oncology PA, DPT who is my supervisor at work, Chemistry Proffesor
      Shadowing: 100 hours shadowing Oncology PA, Family Practice NP; Oncology MD
      GRE: Verbal: 153 Quant: 150
      Volunteer Hours: Over 500hours through my fraternity,NAACP, and my own efforts. Mostly registering people to vote, educating minors on sexual health, March of Dimes, and various other projects me and my fraternity brothers could think of. I believe this will be the strongest part of my application. I have a ton of other experiences of volunteer/community service I could speak of but that would take hours to type out 😂  
      My personal statement will more than likely focus on my experience with the many different types of clients I have dealt with as a HHA. Going into someone’s home is a direct view into their life and lifestyle and the differences and experiences between each is so unique it’s jaw dropping. I’ve had some crazy experiences to say the least 😂

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you all!

*Added some updates so I decided to bump!
    • By tareyng
      I am taking a gap year following my undergraduate at the University of Idaho, and applying this cycle in May of 2019. I am terrified of being denied entry, I feel that there isn't much that stands out in my application. I am doing an impressive internship this summer, but will be applying before it begins. I hope to matriculate into a surgical career, but am keeping my options open at this point. Please give me your 100% candid feedback. I'm an Idaho resident, from a medically underserved area btw. 
      cGPA: 3.54
      sGPA: 3.5
      Paid PCE: ~800 hours as a surgical floor CNA
      Unpaid PCE: 221.25 hours ED volunteer 
      Scribe Hours: 45 hours Free clinic 
      PA shadowing: 80 hours (FP, Surgical Speciality)
      MD shadowing: 15 hours (FP, Orthopedic Surgeon) 
      Volunteer hours: ~300 Muscular Dystrophy Association, Environmental, Greek 
      Definitely applying to: Northern Arizona, Samuel Merritt University, Western University of Health Sciences, Idaho State University, Cornell University, PACE University (Lenox Hill) 
      Maybe applying to: Carroll University, Salus University, Sullivan University, Albany Medical College, Touro University 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More