EM PA program

programs that allow for multiple electives or selectives can allow you to create a focus in any specialty.

at Hahnemann/Drexel I was able to take trauma  surgery for surgery, peds em for peds, em electives, etc so that 27 of my 54 clinical weeks ended up being em, peds em, or trauma.

there are postgrad residencies in em as well as postgrad masters programs like nebraska which allow for a specialty within the MPAS. I did the program there in 98 with an EM specialty.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2012/04/fla-hospital-colleges-physician.html

This is a developing program now known as Adventist University of Health Sciences.  I'm not sure if they plan to focus on emergency medicine or not like the article implies.  However, you can always do your electives in emergency medicine or do a residency like others have mentioned.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2012/04/fla-hospital-colleges-physician.html

This is a developing program now known as Adventist University of Health Sciences.  I'm not sure if they plan to focus on emergency medicine or not like the article implies.  However, you can always do your electives in emergency medicine or do a residency like others have mentioned.

does florida, one of the worst states for PAs to practice, really need another program?

Why doesn't ARC-PA realize this will eventually dilute the profession and drive salaries down?!?  What's the need to accredit any college out there who's willing to hang out a shingle and meet bare minimum requirements?    

The days of well-seasoned medics with real, hands-on experience being the primary feeder for PA schools are long gone, but surely we can still grow at a healthy rate while keeping quality of new grads and the care they can deliver high???

Why doesn't ARC-PA realize this will eventually dilute the profession and drive salaries down?!?  What's the need to accredit any college out there who's willing to hang out a shingle and meet bare minimum requirements?    

The days of well-seasoned medics with real, hands-on experience being the primary feeder for PA schools are long gone, but surely we can still grow at a healthy rate while keeping quality of new grads and the care they can deliver high???

I think at a bare minimum that all PA programs should be affiliated with a major medical  center, and preferably with a medical school as well.

Why doesn't ARC-PA realize this will eventually dilute the profession and drive salaries down?!? What's the need to accredit any college out there who's willing to hang out a shingle and meet bare minimum requirements?

It's law that they have to accredit any program that meets the requirements. Now what they could do is increase the requirements, which I would agree with.

• 3 weeks later...

It's law that they have to accredit any program that meets the requirements. Now what they could do is increase the requirements, which I would agree with.

The school I start w/ in August is one of the largest teaching hospitals in the region with every specialty imaginable. We are a 2.5 year program. I would kill to extend that to 3 years and do a 6 month externship in my specialty of choice. Working 60 hours a week for 6 months in a 7-day a week level 1 trauma center and having to achieve milestones along the way would be the greatest thing I could ask for. 

The school I start w/ in August is one of the largest teaching hospitals in the region with every specialty imaginable. We are a 2.5 year program. I would kill to extend that to 3 years and do a 6 month externship in my specialty of choice. Working 60 hours a week for 6 months in a 7-day a week level 1 trauma center and having to achieve milestones along the way would be the greatest thing I could ask for.

Definitely consider residencies. That way you get paid for those 60+ hour weeks. And get health insurance too.

Definitely consider residencies. That way you get paid for those 60+ hour weeks. And get health insurance too.

I would love to do a residency. Unfortunately, I am married with a child and another kiddo on the way. My wife has a great job with excellent bennies (she works for a hospital that provides our entire family with free healthcare) so it would be a challenging move for the family. If there was an EM residency in Phoenix it would be a foregone conclusion haha. 

This should be the template for a PA doctorate. Finish the master's, complete an extra year of clinical training with some additional didactic components and be granted a doctorate. We have enough credits for it already.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This should be the template for a PA doctorate. Finish the master's, complete an extra year of clinical training with some additional didactic components and be granted a doctorate. We have enough credits for it already.

I'm not so much worried about the credential as I am being well prepared to see patients day one. I would rather have the Master's, have that 6 months of training apply to the CAQ and go from there. 

You are probably already aware, but Mayo has what looks like an excellent hospitalist/critical care residency in Phoenix. I know it's not EM, but still not a bad option. I looked at doing it myself.

I don't know much about the hospitalist, but I have looked at that residency myself. I'm sure the skills would go a long way even if you got a job in EM afterwards. 

there is a program like this in the works. http://www.lynchburg.edu/department-physician-assistant-medicine/physician-assistant-doctoral-option

I decided to set up a PA program with a local elementary school and things are going well. 

I am thinking of approaching starbucks to see if they will share space with PA schools that way we can have one on every street corner. 

Maybe PAs will start switching to barista as profession as the PA salary and options plummet. 

I decided to set up a PA program with a local elementary school and things are going well. 

I am thinking of approaching starbucks to see if they will share space with PA schools that way we can have one on every street corner. 

Maybe PAs will start switching to barista as profession as the PA salary and options plummet. 

but then we would need a DBS (Doctorate in Barista Science). ....

Personally, I would specialize in macchiatos. 

that's a postdoc fellowship.

available here at the American Barista school (seriously)

https://www.coffeebusiness.com/

unfortanately, they now offer direct entry online programs in addition to 2 brick and mortar programs. There is some concern that these online programs may be diluting the quality of what it means to be a barista.

Archived