Dropping a course in post bac

Hi all, I would appreciate any advice on my situation. I graduated last year with a degree in psych with a gpa of around 2.8 and my science is probably much lower. I was pre-PA and decided to switch to pre-med after finding out about osteopathic schools and decided to try to take advantage of their grade replacement policies. I retook several sciences in addition to taking a few new ones to fulfill the premed prerequisites and in those two semesters, received As and Bs on them. I found myself to be very miserable in the process because I know now I was premed for the wrong reasons. I think deep down I still wanted to do PA school but gave in to outside pressure from family/coworkers who encouraged me to do med school.

I'm currently taking organic chemistry summer A and feeling like my heart is not in it anymore. I accepted a job offer recently which would give me more clinical experience (I already have over 3000 hours) and am now feeling overwhelmed with the intensive summer course . The position is every other weekend but I didn't know I was required to do an orientation full time for a week, so you can imagine how far I've fallen behind in organic chem. I feel like I should drop the course since I'm not doing very well.

I guess ultimately my question is, how bad will a W affect me? My transcript is already filled with Cs and a D and several W. I'm worried of the huge negative impact of dropping a course after the short progress I've been making.

Any other advice will be appreciated!

To be completely honest, it will look bad, but if you're doing poorly in the course like you say then it may not look as bad as the grade you'll get.  Your problem is that you are starting from a bad spot and have to demonstrate a very strong upward trend.  More HCE is always good but your weakness as an applicant at this point is your grades.  It's time to analyze your priorities. You should be doing everything you can to make all As and Bs(mostly As).  Perhaps taking a new job while in summer school with tough classes wasn't the best idea.

Archived