Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been lurking here for a while and have been really scared to post because everyone here seems so knowledgable and professional, and I felt somewhat intimidated to say anything, but I've sucked it up and I'm trying to ask for some help...

I had a rough freshman year. I did well in the beginning of both semesters, but I had some horrible things happen during both finals weeks that really screwed me over. My overall GPA is hardly above a 3.5, and my science GPA is scratching the surface of a 3.2, with a B+ in gen chem 1, B- in gen chem 2, and an A-/A in their respective labs. I know I can do so much better than that this upcoming semester, but I'm worried that I've already hurt myself.

I've already gotten the textbooks for bio/organic to get a head start over summer, and I'm taking a combined phlebotomy/EKG course in July that leads into a 120 hour internship. I already have a PA to shadow, and that same PA is willing to train me to work for her as a medical assistant.

I just want to know, do I have a shot after messing up freshman year? And am I heading down the right track in terms of experience? I was trying to take an EMT-B course but the hospital I signed up for booted my seat because they lost my paperwork, so I tried not to throw the summer away and hopped on a different class instead...

Thank you so much in advance.

No, my friend, your life is not over. Given all that happened, you're not in a bad place. Just keep doing the best you can and get your healthcare experience and shadowing along the way. You have 3 more years to plus up your grades. It gets progressively harder as time goes on, but a few missteps as a freshman isn't the end of the world. 

Good luck and maintain an even strain (bend but don't break!)

I would kill to replace my freshman debacle with yours. As far as I can tell, you merely had a freshman year that was less than perfect. Many of us did. The first year can be a difficult transition. As UGo said, you have 3 years to raise your GPA, and even if you don't raise your GPA, a 3.5 is a respectable number. The 3.2 sGPA isn't great, but it's not a deal breaker either… and again… 3 years to raise it.

I am hardly qualified to evaluate someone based on a single internet post, but the armchair therapist in me thinks there might be something (anxiety? perfectionism?) buried in the subtext of your post:

I've been lurking here for a while and have been really scared to post because everyone here seems so knowledgable and professional, and I felt somewhat intimidated to say anything, but I've sucked it up and I'm trying to ask for some help...

I just want to know, do I have a shot after messing up freshman year? 

For one you seem to be catastrophizing: http://psychcentral.com/lib/what-is-catastrophizing/0001276

Or maybe I'm looking at things out of context… just something to think about.

But to answer your question: yes you're headed down the right track, as long as you don't have a nervous breakdown in the process.

You're completely fine. My first semester I had a 3.2. Raised it to 3.7 by graduation. One of the biggest things I've learned in college is HOW to study. My biggest piece of advice is, going forward, don't overload on prerequisites - don't take all your science classes at once. It's not a race. It's a much safer bet taking the more difficult classes junior year, when you're fully accustomed to college and know how to study. My second piece of advice, especially for science courses you tend to "zone out" in, is to record all lectures and go over them at your own pace so you REALLY understand everything. Such a simple thing really, but it has made a huge difference in my grades.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Archived